Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any trac lock, or limited slip diff options on your gladiator?
no, but when a tru trac (aka torsion) diff comes out I will have one.

I have had clutch type limited slips, Detroit lockers, electric lockers and Torsen diffs. The torsen was always operationally invisible until you needed it with no effect that I noticed on driving or making the vehicle push in a turn.

The Detroit was a different story. Even on dry road under power it would push in a turn unless you backed out of the throttle and let it unlock. On a slick road it was a PITA.
Sponsored

EvLwMn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
@EvLwMn , if you are looking for a reason to keep your 2d, ok. This is a truck. Have some weight available for the bed when you need. Use 4X4 when you need for handling. Truth is good drivers keep the shiny side up no matter what vehicle they are in, and bad drivers pay way more in insurance cause, well, because bad drivers. That 2dr box is way more slippery than any truck, as it should be, and if you need proof for yourself rent or test drive. Also, check in the manual threads on this forum when you get yours! These AT guys don't know anything like the MT guys. Go 2drs!
No, actually I’m looking for confirmation so I can justify buying the Gladiator. I already test drove one, but a test drive really isn’t going to tell me what I want to know as they aren’t going to let me “test” it to get my answer. I don’t want to have to put weight in it for it to handle right and I don’t want to be forced to use 4x4 for no good reason. What if I’m already out when it rains? No extra weight available. Plus extra weight will lower the mileage, as does 4x4, and I can squeeze pretty good mileage out of a manual. But extra weight or forced use of 4x4 just for rain, just to get handling will kill that - and it’s ridiculous.

I’m just making sure it doesn’t handle like a squirrelly pickup truck. I hate pickups because of that. I grew up on a farm and have driven lots of trucks, pickup and not (and I’m an excellent driver by the way - from trucks and high end performance cars to anything in between. Plus I can drive anything. Literally). Hence the reason I really don’t want a pickup. I know how squirrelly they are. But the Gladiator seems to be the best of both worlds, a Wrangler with a payload that would work for what I need to do. But again, I don’t want it if it handles like a pickup.

Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful. I may take your advice and ask the MT guys too

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
No, actually I’m looking for confirmation so I can justify buying the Gladiator. I already test drove one, but a test drive really isn’t going to tell me what I want to know as they aren’t going to let me “test” it to get my answer. I don’t want to have to put weight in it for it to handle right and I don’t want to be forced to use 4x4 for no good reason. What if I’m already out when it rains? No extra weight available. Plus extra weight will lower the mileage, as does 4x4, and I can squeeze pretty good mileage out of a manual. But extra weight or forced use of 4x4 just for rain, just to get handling will kill that - and it’s ridiculous.

I’m just making sure it doesn’t handle like a squirrelly pickup truck. I hate pickups because of that. I grew up on a farm and have driven lots of trucks, pickup and not (and I’m an excellent driver by the way - from trucks and high end performance cars to anything in between. Plus I can drive anything. Literally). Hence the reason I really don’t want a pickup. I know how squirrelly they are. But the Gladiator seems to be the best of both worlds, a Wrangler with a payload that would work for what I need to do. But again, I don’t want it if it handles like a pickup.

Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful. I may take your advice and ask the MT guys too
Good man! Agree with your concern about squirrelly. Think it is a matter of degrees. Of course it is different. How much different and does that work for you... Will keep an eye on where you end up!

EvLwMn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Good man! Agree with your concern about squirrelly. Think it is a matter of degrees. Of course it is different. How much different and does that work for you... Will keep an eye on where you end up!
Thanks! I will definitely let everyone know what I decide to do. It will likely be a while, likely this fall. I want to do more research and, since I have a summer car (which will be coming out of its winter hibernation next month), the Wrangler will be mostly parked for the summer. This will give me time to do some maintenance and a detail and “fix it up” a bit to get it ready for trade in (ordered rear rotors and pads today to do the rear brakes). That way it will be in top shape by fall, and I can haggle to get the most for the trade, just in time for winter driving. They are screaming for Wranglers around here, so I should be able to get a good trade in out of it. Plus it will be paid down even more so I will have more to put towards the new Jeep.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
It has everything to do with an lsd, in that an lsd has the potential to cause the rear to break sideways traction by redirecting power to the wheel that is not spinning, which is exactly what it does and is designed to do. The poster i originally responded to suggested that an lsd might make the rear LESS squirrelly. An lsd has zero potential to make the rear less squirrelly, and has every opportunity to make it more squirrelly, or prone to getting sideways by getting both wheels loose, instead of one, on slippery surfaces. An lsd has zero ability to increase your coefficient of friction or add traction, it can only redirect power. This is just basic physics.

This is not a disortation on the effectiveness of lsd's in snow and ice. They are an effective tool if the individual driving knows what behaviour to expect, is prepared for their effects, and knows how to drive with them. That has nothing to do with the known fact that rear spools, lockers, and lsd's, increase the squirrelly rear end effects in snow and ice and other slippery conditions, to varying degrees.
You are 100% incorrect here sorry. A lsd absolutely gives you more traction by limiting wheel spin in a corner. Especially in snow and rain. I tut think you are confusing a clutch type lsd for a locker. They are nothing alike in any way.
Sponsored