Owner and consumer Test Drive Reviews

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread with reviews from owners and consumer test drives. Could be a place for odd questions as well. I’d suggest starting with model driven and major options and list out what you liked and didn’t like.

Red Overland, Auto, hardtop with AT tires and leather.
First Impression
Impressed by build quality, vehicle seat comfort including front and back seats. I’m 6’0” 215, 32” length inseam. and fit very comfortably in the front. I sat in the back with seating in my position and knees barely touched. Rear Seats folded up and locked smoothly and did not rattle on test drive. The back armrest is perfect. I wonder if Sport S with leather will get armrest? The bed walls are a little low to me. Tailgate and doors were solid as well as overall fit and finish.

Road Test
Driving in town was a breeze. So simple to park and maneuver. Very compliant ride around town. It does have some noticeable length when backing. I drive a Tahoe and crew Tundra, the JT lengthwise feels somewhere between the two when backing up. However it is still easier to drive and park than both. Very little road noise at 75 MPH and I did not hear a single rattle. Could hardly hear the tires and what I did hear was mostly wind. The engine worked easily up to 75. After 75 the engine started to turn RPMs and required extra pedal pressure. Could have used another 20 HP. Transmission shifts were butter smooth. Biggest drawback is the light steering and wandering at highway speeds. Had to do a lot of little corrections. I will be going with an aftermarket steering stabilizer with adjustments.

All in all, I liked it better than I did after seeing it at the car show. It is really comfortable. In fact, it was so engaging to drive that I never even fooled with the tech package or other switches. The rear view camera was very clear.

3D92EBB8-69E5-4300-8C44-107F247C7BB7.jpeg

29FE7BFC-0296-43EB-88B6-41FC290A7FFC.jpeg

8797FB61-C43C-4EA7-8E7C-E3CC718B699E.jpeg

1B807B57-D82D-46EB-9BF5-448FB5DE5366.jpeg

C8F053AC-741D-4FB5-87CB-09CDED543F94.jpeg

939A1BCA-6F9B-4C70-8DB4-64B3A3CCC703.jpeg

C5DF4D11-71F6-4206-94BC-A44AE16D49F6.jpeg
Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
While you were driving, did you happen to catch tire pressures?
It seems like they are all overfilled, and steering smooths out after lowering pressures.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
After 75 the engine started to turn RPMs and required extra pedal pressure. Could have used another 20 HP. Transmission shifts were butter smooth. Biggest drawback is the light steering and wandering at highway speeds. Had to do a lot of little corrections. I will be going with an aftermarket steering stabilizer with adjustments.
Shit. Thats basically what I though. Those are my (2) complaints about my JKU and I was hoping they would be better on the JT but it doesn't sound like it. The steering stabilizer will help mask it a little but the truck already has one on it, so it wont completely fix it, and it will never steer like your Tundra or Tahoe. Its one of those "Its A Jeep Thing" things. You'll get use to the steering over time a bit.

OP
OP
lrtexasman

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
While you were driving, did you happen to catch tire pressures?
It seems like they are all overfilled, and steering smooths out after lowering pressures.
I did not check tire pressure. Thanks for the tip, shit I completely forgot. I want to drive one with 4.10 gears to see how different it feels.

Reactions: JP1
OP
OP
lrtexasman

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Shit. Thats basically what I though. Those are my (2) complaints about my JKU and I was hoping they would be better on the JT but it doesn't sound like it. The steering stabilizer will help mask it a little but the truck already has one on it, so it wont completely fix it, and it will never steer like your Tundra or Tahoe. Its one of those "Its A Jeep Thing" things. You'll get use to the steering over time a bit.
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I’m really pleased that it rode better than the JL Rubicon I drove last month. The rear seating position seemed a little different as well for some reason. Also wonder if the Sport S will have the speaker bar. I think it’s kinda in the way of back seat passengers. I had one in my TJ and never was that big on it. But I’m more of a podcast/talk radio than music guy anyway.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread with reviews from owners and consumer test drives. Could be a place for odd questions as well. I’d suggest starting with model driven and major options and list out what you liked and didn’t like.

Red Overland, Auto, hardtop with AT tires and leather.
First Impression
Impressed by build quality, vehicle seat comfort including front and back seats. I’m 6’0” 215, 32” length inseam. and fit very comfortably in the front. I sat in the back with seating in my position and knees barely touched. Rear Seats folded up and locked smoothly and did not rattle on test drive. The back armrest is perfect. I wonder if Sport S with leather will get armrest? The bed walls are a little low to me. Tailgate and doors were solid as well as overall fit and finish.

Road Test
Driving in town was a breeze. So simple to park and maneuver. Very compliant ride around town. It does have some noticeable length when backing. I drive a Tahoe and crew Tundra, the JT lengthwise feels somewhere between the two when backing up. However it is still easier to drive and park than both. Very little road noise at 75 MPH and I did not hear a single rattle. Could hardly hear the tires and what I did hear was mostly wind. The engine worked easily up to 75. After 75 the engine started to turn RPMs and required extra pedal pressure. Could have used another 20 HP. Transmission shifts were butter smooth. Biggest drawback is the light steering and wandering at highway speeds. Had to do a lot of little corrections. I will be going with an aftermarket steering stabilizer with adjustments.

All in all, I liked it better than I did after seeing it at the car show. It is really comfortable. In fact, it was so engaging to drive that I never even fooled with the tech package or other switches. The rear view camera was very clear.
Does the overland have more/less/same sound deadening than the sport S or rubicon? Do they all have "acoustic glass"?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I’m really pleased that it rode better than the JL Rubicon I drove last month. The rear seating position seemed a little different as well for some reason. Also wonder if the Sport S will have the speaker bar. I think it’s kinda in the way of back seat passengers. I had one in my TJ and never was that big on it. But I’m more of a podcast/talk radio than music guy anyway.
Its good to hear it rides better then the JLUR. I was just hoping that it would steer like the power wagon. That thing has nice steering on it and its SFA as well, but its seems like Jeep is determined to keep the play in the steering wheel for some reason or not take the time to redesign what is needed to eliminate it.

EvLwMn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hi everyone. I’m new here. I haven’t bought a Gladiator yet but am seriously considering. I currently drive a Wrangler Sahara 2 door. My main concern about the Gladiator doesn’t seem to be addressed anywhere so I came here to ask.

My question is, does the Gladiator handle like a pickup truck? Allow me to explain.

I test drive a Gladiator and know it has a better ride than the Wrangler (or at least my Wrangler). I don’t care much about the loose steering as I’m used to it and don’t care about that. My concern is, how does it handle on wet roads? I live in West Virginia and am constantly seeing pick up trucks in the ditch because they simply slide off the road, or spin out if they hit a bit of water/wet on the road. That is why I don’t want a pickup truck. They are squirrelly when the roads are a little wet or slippery. I rarely drive my Wrangler in 4H, only in a bad snow storm, roads haven’t been plowed or can’t be kept up with, have to climb a muddy slope, etc. NEVER on the roads because of rain. And I don’t want to have to use 4WD just because of a little rain. I bought a Jeep because I live on a mountain and have to deal with mud and snow. It’s not a play vehicle, it’s a utility vehicle. So finding information on how this vehicle handles will determine if I buy one or not.

So, again I ask, does this vehicle handle like a pickup truck, or is it more stable like a Wrangler?

Thanks everyone!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’m rather confused as to the comments about very little noise at 75 mph. I test drove both the hard and soft top and both have bad window noise over 65. I ended up going with the hard top since it’s a little better and quieter around town. It is actually pretty quiet below hwy speeds. I blame the terrible aerodynamics. I’m starting to get used to it, and luckily the alpine system is fantastic, but it’s night and day louder than my Canyon was at hwy speeds.

tire pressure definitely helped with my wandering but still definitely not in love with my steering/tracking at hwy speeds.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Hi everyone. I’m new here. I haven’t bought a Gladiator yet but am seriously considering. I currently drive a Wrangler Sahara 2 door. My main concern about the Gladiator doesn’t seem to be addressed anywhere so I came here to ask.

My question is, does the Gladiator handle like a pickup truck? Allow me to explain.

I test drive a Gladiator and know it has a better ride than the Wrangler (or at least my Wrangler). I don’t care much about the loose steering as I’m used to it and don’t care about that. My concern is, how does it handle on wet roads? I live in West Virginia and am constantly seeing pick up trucks in the ditch because they simply slide off the road, or spin out if they hit a bit of water/wet on the road. That is why I don’t want a pickup truck. They are squirrelly when the roads are a little wet or slippery. I rarely drive my Wrangler in 4H, only in a bad snow storm, roads haven’t been plowed or can’t be kept up with, have to climb a muddy slope, etc. NEVER on the roads because of rain. And I don’t want to have to use 4WD just because of a little rain. I bought a Jeep because I live on a mountain and have to deal with mud and snow. It’s not a play vehicle, it’s a utility vehicle. So finding information on how this vehicle handles will determine if I buy one or not.

So, again I ask, does this vehicle handle like a pickup truck, or is it more stable like a Wrangler?

Thanks everyone!
They have pretty good weight distribution for a truck. It was a lot easier to spin the tires on my Canyon than my gladiator. Moreso than the big difference in power (Canyon had 23 more hp and was 400 lbs lighter). The Canyon has better tires too (after I replaced the original Goodyear silent armors).

I read somewhere that there’s only roughly 250 more lbs over the front axle than the rear axle in the gladiator. That’s a lot better than other trucks I’ve had.

Sponsored

Mtneerdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96XJ '20JT6MT

Thanks everyone!
You're talking about the light rear end getting squirrelly on an unladen pickup i assume. In that case, no. The rear axle is far enough forward that it has considerable cab weight on it, in addition to a lot of bed overhang weight. In that respect, it doesn't have the light rear end problems of unloaded pickup trucks.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I did not check tire pressure. Thanks for the tip, shit I completely forgot. I want to drive one with 4.10 gears to see how different it feels.
The 4.10 gears make up for needing any more hp as the Gladiator will get up and go all the way over 80 easily. I tested the hardtop in a sport s and found it to be a few db louder than my 07 Honda Pilot on same road conditions.

Last edited:

EvLwMn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Thanks Mtneerdan yes that is what I’m talking about. The light rear end squirrellyness of pickup trucks that tend to make them throw themselves off the road. I don’t want that and don’t have time or patience for that nonsense. The Jeep is a winter vehicle for me, as I have a summer car as well, but winters around here are a combo of rain and snow so we have either/or/both at any given time. So I just need to make sure the gladiator is going to suit my needs before I shell out that kind of dough on one, only to find out later that I’m (accidentally) off the road more than on it.

Thanks to both you and NC_Overland for answering. I think, by both of your answers, it’s safe to say that my concerns are unwarranted.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Thanks Mtneerdan yes that is what I’m talking about. The light rear end squirrellyness of pickup trucks that tend to make them throw themselves off the road. I don’t want that and don’t have time or patience for that nonsense. The Jeep is a winter vehicle for me, as I have a summer car as well, but winters around here are a combo of rain and snow so we have either/or/both at any given time. So I just need to make sure the gladiator is going to suit my needs before I shell out that kind of dough on one, only to find out later that I’m (accidentally) off the road more than on it.

Thanks to both you and NC_Overland for answering. I think, by both of your answers, it’s safe to say that my concerns are unwarranted.
I think having the Trac Lock or a clutch limited slip diff will help with that squirrelliness.

Mtneerdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96XJ '20JT6MT
I think having the Trac Lock or a clutch limited slip diff will help with that squirrelliness.
It will make it worse on wet roads, snow, ice, ect.
Sponsored