500 Miles at 50 MPH

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
If anyone's had their axles re-geared, this all sounds familiar..... The higher load on the Ring & Pinion will slightly change the contact patch of the teeth, and need a new "break-in" period.

My immediate curiosity while breaking in my new gears was "what the heck they do on the FACTORY axles?"

This leads me to believe "break in" really only matters at full load..... 500 miles under 50 was the Revolution Gear recommendation as well. Then change the gear oil. And change the front oil after your first 4wd usage. and get plenty of 4wd usage, but no hard front-digs. etc etc etc

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
The higher load on the Ring & Pinion will slightly change the contact patch of the teeth, and need a new "break-in" period.
You’ve got it right there. As hard as all of the gears and miscellaneous mechanical parts are, they all have some flex and give. Pulling hard under a heavy load changes the shape of those parts slightly and the points where they contact.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
That's what the owners manual says for towing for break in. I've got 400 miles down, 100 miles to go. What a Pain In The Ass!
That wasn't in the manual before 2021.

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
I missed this. Hope it doesn't bite me in the a%%
Me to twice...both my Gladiator's pulling my boat and my Polaris General maybe i should kearn how to read?🤣😂😜
Sponsored