Sponsored

Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix!

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
I recently went through the first major audio upgrade on my Gladiator and am extremely happy with the results! I wanted to share my build in case it is helpful for others researching their upgrade.

What I had/have: 2021 Gladiator with 8.4” Uconnect and Alpine factory audio

Previous upgrades: Terra Acoustics Front Stage 3.5” Upgrade, MOPAR/Kicker OEM 3.5” Rear Soundbar Upgrade, stock audio otherwise.

I had previously done the front and rear 3.5” upgrades, which was a huge help with the desperately-lacking mids and vocals on the factory system. However, it was still limited in many ways, including total volume and bass response — the factory Alpine “sub” barely deserves to be called as such. I also wanted to de-equalize any inherent EQ or bass roll-off built into the factory signal and retune for the correctly-flattened input signal. I did not want to replace the factory 8.4” unit nor did I want to cut any wires, drill any metal, trim any plastic or otherwise. Retaining the Uconnect HU was important to me for the seamless integration with SiriusXM, SiriusXM Guardian Services, Apple Carplay, Steering Wheel Controls, HVAC controls, high-def backup camera, etc. Every aftermarket / restyling headunit I have seen for JL/JT makes some type of compromise in functionality or OEM integration (though the Alpine restyle and Stinger HEIGH10 are very impressive units).

In case anyone is curious how the factory Alpine system works. It is listed as a 552w 12 channel amp for ~46w max per channel (likely around 23w RMS per channel). The front stage is a set of 3.5” widerange/tweeters on the dash and 4” mids in the knee panels with active crossover in the amp and separate wiring for each. The rears are the same quad speaker config in the sound bar for 8 active channels total for the front/rear main stage. The remaining 4 channels of the amplifier are active and power the quad voice coils on the factory sub. Both of the 3.5” Alpine factory speakers I measured with a DMM came out to 3.6 ohm impedance after charging, so 4 ohm nominal — the previous information I’ve read about them supposedly being 2 ohm appear to be inaccurate. As I understand it, the non-Alpine base system utilizes parallel speaker wiring between each 3.5” and 4” pair with capacitors / bass blockers for each speaker to provide highs and lows as needed. Upgrading that to a active system with DSP would be more difficult due to the lack of separate speaker wiring for each speaker location.

Enter Musicar NW of Portland, OR and an Audison DSP Amplifier - based upgrade…

I contacted my buddy Sean at Musicar Northwest to discuss my various ideas and goals. He patiently quoted me a variety of options and explained the pros and cons of each decision I needed to make. Upgrading OEM amplified systems is one of their specialties (they do a lot of high-end German cars and Teslas and so forth) and he helped me confirm all of my research and assumptions regarding how to upgrade a Jeep in the least-intrusive manner possible. They tend to deal in higher-end brands such as Morel, Focal, Audison, Hertz, HELIX, BRAX, etc., but he was happy to follow my requests for various components (as long as it was something he felt comfortable recommending/using himself).

Newly installed major parts:

This effectively replaces the active factory amplifier with an active 8 channel amplifier and a mono amplifier for the subwoofer stage. The newest Audison bit DSP software allows for custom-assigning individual outputs based on individual or summed inputs, de-equalizing and flattening the factory headunit output, removing any factory time correction, complete crossover and EQ tuning, per-channel phase correction, etc. It’s a very impressive bit of kit, especially in the right tuning hands. Sean initially recommended HELIX DSP amplifiers (amazing in their own right), but I preferred the small footprint and clean install packaging of the Audison components. The Audison rep for Elettromedia also lives here in Portland and I always like supporting the local guys 👌

Everything is tied together with an incredible install and final tune by their amazing installation and tuning staff. Pierce and TJ did an amazing job on my truck; by far the cleanest and most thoughtful install I’ve ever had on the variety of vehicles I’ve owned and upgraded over the last 25 years. The attached pictures of the work in progress do not do their talents any justice. Thanks to the plug-and-play products and careful install, everything is completely reversible if desired in the future.

The Metra amp racks and JL fuse holder bracket for JL/JT make things that much easier for us Jeepers; it’s nice to have a vehicle that is supported so thoroughly by the aftermarket. These kinds of easy solutions for things like fuse and amp mounting give the installer more time to focus on the finer details. The second fuse holder position on the bracket is still available for a future project, such as a high-power inverter or onboard air…or more stereo 😈

The Fox Acoustics enclosure is nicely constructed, but does not include any provisions for mounting, which would be concerning during any kind of evasive maneuvers, offroad inclines or an accident. One benefit of the Fox box versus other pre-fab options is that it retains the OEM hardtop hardware box whereas others require moving it; there’s also a bit of room on each end for odds and ends under the seat. Pierce was able to utilize existing OEM fastener locations to mount the box on the passenger side through the bottom wall of the enclosure under the woofer, and on the driver’s side with a custom aluminum bracket down to a factory attachment point. This kind of clean and seamless custom bracketry is why I love a highly-skilled boutique shop like Musicar; their standards are far higher than mine and they have the unique tools and resources to quickly produce just about anything. Custom CNC aluminum parts and 3D-printed doodads are commonplace to their installs.

Another nice touch was their utilization of a open high amperage lug within the factory power distribution box to minimize any extra attachments at the top of the battery.

The PAC Audio interface and Audison amps integrate perfectly into the OEM system with absolutely no hiss, turn-on/turn-off pops or otherwise. I’d never know any of it was there if it weren’t for the significantly-elevated audio quality and much-bigger thump emanating from the back seat. The only visible part of the install is the small bass knob mounted to the front of the shifter console. It is as if the factory system is still in place but with a nuclear reactor powering it 🚀

The only downside is the predictable bummer of the loss of most of the underseat space; front seats for amps and rear seats for the sub. You could certainly do a similar upgrade with a smaller and/or single amp as well as a smaller sub configuration if you wanted to keep more interior space available.

I’m absolutely stoked with the final product and definitely did not think that a Jeep could sound this good with stock / mild speaker upgrade, even with the Sunrider top flipped back. It’s easy to get a lot of volume in the rear of the cabin with a sound bar full of 6.5’s and lots of wattage, but doing it with a correct front stage and correct processing/tuning makes all the difference in the world for making it sound great. I am looking forward to a second final upgrade including upgraded midrange front speakers in the knee panel and sound bar with a retune for the finishing touches. Thanks to everyone at Musicar for an A+ install, and to a variety of different threads in these forums for helping me research my decisions.

Other fun links:

https://instagram.com/musicar.nw

https://terraacoustics.com/products/jeep-front-soundstage-upgrade-jl-jt (Front dash 3.5” 2-way upgrade)

https://www.jeepworld.com/products/kicker-rear-fold-down-speakers-77kick25ab-mopar (Soundbar 3.5” 2-way upgrade)

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6596

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6594

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6595

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6641

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6639

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6640

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! FullSizeRender

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! FullSizeRender

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_8417

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_8416

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_8415

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_8414

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_6630

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_9866

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_9864

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_9863

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! IMG_9862
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Impressive work.

OP
OP

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
This is exactly what I want on mine. Great system, you must be ecstatic.
Loving it! I definitely have a refreshed passion for car audio after this upgrade. Can’t wait to get a quality aftermarket 6.5” mid in the knee panel locations to really complete things. The factory 4” speakers are hanging on for dear life, but they sound quite good for now 😎

OP
OP

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Round 2! Shortly before SEMA I decided to have Musicar NW finish the up the system...the first round upgrade of a DSP Amp + Sub upgrade had turned out far better than I ever imagined and I was eager to go even further 😁

The previous tune was amazing for taking advantage of every last bit of performance offered by the factory speakers, but a cheap 4" OEM midbass can only go so far. My rap and rock favorites sounded very good, but not quite great, without a deep and accurate midbass to fill in between the tweets/mids and sub.

After consulting with the Musicar team and going over my goals, they recommended using Helix's new Compose i3 line of midbass and tweeters. The Ci3 line is meant to bring the performance and tech of the Ci7 line down to a more affordable price-point while keeping much of the same overall design -- I believe the retail price on the Ci3 6.5" woofer/tweeter/crossover component set is $450 USD. Helix offers the Ci3 6.5" midbass in a 2 ohm option that allows for making the most of the Audison C8.14 bit amp. This gives a full 100w x 4 for the front and rear midbass, with 65w x 4 for the Terra Acoustics fronts and Ci3 rear tweeters. Doing this allowed for a healthy amount of power to all 8 channels in an active configuration, without any bridging or switching down to a 6 channel setup with a coaxial in the rear. This also allows for some future flexibility by allowing an easy switch to active 3-way setup in the front with passive 2-way in the rear. Helix sells the Compose Ci3 line as individual drivers or as a component set with passive crossover, so I was able to save some money by foregoing the unnecessary crossovers.

This upgrade replaces the remaining 4 factory speakers and the previous MOPAR/Kicker 3.5" upgrade in the soundbar while retaining the Terra Acoustics fronts, which we felt would be right at home with the Helix woofers.

For speaker install, we used the standard Metra JL/JT front speaker pods and the Stinger JL/JT sound bar rear speaker upgrade kit. The Stinger sound bar kit was chosen over Select Increments, Metra and MB Quart options as the Stinger kit uses a new OEM-appearing grill to hide the speakers, but they do require cutting the sound bar.

Musicar did their normal sound deadening to the front pods, but they suggested going one step further on the soundbar kit. The speaker mounting plates provided by Stinger are ABS and easily flex by hand. This would have worked well enough, but these guys are all about the details, and they asked for permission to make a rigid aluminum plate instead, which I was happy to agree to. Their custom mounting plates turned out fantastic and work great within the Stinger grills and mounting kit. I'm sure they have the design saved and could resell the same setup if anyone is interested 😉 They also took the time to hard-wire the speaker adapters to the new speakers to eliminate the unnecessary spade connectors...they plug in just like a factory speaker would 😏

New components installed:

Results? Absolutely amazing! A Wrangler or Gladiator utilizing all OEM speaker locations certainly won't be winning any professional SQ competitions against purpose-built competition vehicles, but the sound quality is absolutely amazing for a Jeep. Instruments and voices I'd never heard before in my favorite songs are now apparent and clear; the imaging is precise and focused incredibly well, despite all of the challenges and less-than-ideal speaker locations offered by a Jeep.

Even with the Sunrider top open, it only takes a low to middle volume setting to completely overcome all road and wind noise. The system never seems to be straining or operating near its limit; cranking the volume knob just amplifies the amazing sound with no distortion right up to my listening comfort limit. And even with such an elaborate upgrade, the truck is essentially unmodified -- the only cutting or trimming done was to the sound bar for the speaker mounting kit. No OEM wires have been cut and all other speaker mounts are OEM. I don't ever plan to return to stock, but this setup could easily be swapped into a new Gladiator in just a few hours with the various PnP connectors.

Regrets? Zero. There are some things I would do in addition or differently if I had a bigger budget, but I think it is absolutely perfect for the money that was spent. You'd also be hard-pressed to find a better-sounding Jeep without a much more elaborate or expensive build. Every component meets or exceeds my expectations and the sum is far greater than the parts. This build only scratches the surface in terms of what Musicar can really do, and I'm ecstatic with the final product.

Hope someone found this build interesting, and thanks so much to the entire Musicar NW team for the outstanding work and customer service every step of the way.

PnP Metra adapters hard-wired to speakers for a single-plug OEM connection:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53255037397_718871e4ef_o

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53255037477_14156e0a4d_o

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53256409795_1cf6767803_o

Flimsy Stinger speaker mounting plate:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! Photo Oct 09 2023, 5 05 13 PM

Not-so-flimsy Musicar custom speaker mounting plate:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53256410205_bb838efa44_o

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53255924641_3eac9a20eb_o

Helix Ci3 woofer and tweeter in their new homes:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53256409985_9d815211e0_o

The Stinger grills are almost too clean, it's hard to tell anything was done here:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! Photo Nov 23 2023, 1 35 23 PM

Pickup ready for pickup 😀
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53256212798_c2cc6e0666_o

Misc add'l product info:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/speakers/compose/

Last edited:

Sponsored

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
Very clean build. I love the attention to detail. Those custom mounting plates for the sound bar are perfect. I wish someone near me could make them!

ajenkins1972

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Round 2! Shortly before SEMA I decided to have Musicar NW finish the up the system...the first round upgrade of a DSP Amp + Sub upgrade had turned out far better than I ever imagined and I was eager to go even further 😁

The previous tune was amazing for taking advantage of every last bit of performance offered by the factory speakers, but a cheap 4" OEM midbass can only go so far. My rap and rock favorites sounded very good, but not quite great, without a deep and accurate midbass to fill in between the tweets/mids and sub.

After consulting with the Musicar team and going over my goals, they recommended using Helix's new Compose i3 line of midbass and tweeters. The Ci3 line is meant to bring the performance and tech of the Ci7 line down to a more affordable price-point while keeping much of the same overall design -- I believe the retail price on the Ci3 6.5" woofer/tweeter/crossover component set is $450 USD. Helix offers the Ci3 6.5" midbass in a 2 ohm option that allows for making the most of the Audison C8.14 bit amp. This gives a full 100w x 4 for the front and rear midbass, with 65w x 4 for the Terra Acoustics fronts and Ci3 rear tweeters. Doing this allowed for a healthy amount of power to all 8 channels in an active configuration, without any bridging or switching down to a 6 channel setup with a coaxial in the rear. This also allows for some future flexibility by allowing an easy switch to active 3-way setup in the front with passive 2-way in the rear. Helix sells the Compose Ci3 line as individual drivers or as a component set with passive crossover, so I was able to save some money by foregoing the unnecessary crossovers.

This upgrade replaces the remaining 4 factory speakers and the previous MOPAR/Kicker 3.5" upgrade in the soundbar while retaining the Terra Acoustics fronts, which we felt would be right at home with the Helix woofers.

For speaker install, we used the standard Metra JL/JT front speaker pods and the Stinger JL/JT sound bar rear speaker upgrade kit. The Stinger sound bar kit was chosen over Select Increments, Metra and MB Quart options as the Stinger kit uses a new OEM-appearing grill to hide the speakers, but they do require cutting the sound bar.

Musicar did their normal sound deadening to the front pods, but they suggested going one step further on the soundbar kit. The speaker mounting plates provided by Stinger are ABS and easily flex by hand. This would have worked well enough, but these guys are all about the details, and they asked for permission to make a rigid aluminum plate instead, which I was happy to agree to. Their custom mounting plates turned out fantastic and work great within the Stinger grills and mounting kit. I'm sure they have the design saved and could resell the same setup if anyone is interested 😉 They also took the time to hard-wire the speaker adapters to the new speakers to eliminate the unnecessary spade connectors...they plug in just like a factory speaker would 😏

New components installed:

Results? Absolutely amazing! A Wrangler or Gladiator utilizing all OEM speaker locations certainly won't be winning any professional SQ competitions against purpose-built competition vehicles, but the sound quality is absolutely amazing for a Jeep. Instruments and voices I'd never heard before in my favorite songs are now apparent and clear; the imaging is precise and focused incredibly well, despite all of the challenges and less-than-ideal speaker locations offered by a Jeep.

Even with the Sunrider top open, it only takes a low to middle volume setting to completely overcome all road and wind noise. The system never seems to be straining or operating near its limit; cranking the volume knob just amplifies the amazing sound with no distortion right up to my listening comfort limit. And even with such an elaborate upgrade, the truck is essentially unmodified -- the only cutting or trimming done was to the sound bar for the speaker mounting kit. No OEM wires have been cut and all other speaker mounts are OEM. I don't ever plan to return to stock, but this setup could easily be swapped into a new Gladiator in just a few hours with the various PnP connectors.

Regrets? Zero. There are some things I would do in addition or differently if I had a bigger budget, but I think it is absolutely perfect for the money that was spent. You'd also be hard-pressed to find a better-sounding Jeep without a much more elaborate or expensive build. Every component meets or exceeds my expectations and the sum is far greater than the parts. This build only scratches the surface in terms of what Musicar can really do, and I'm ecstatic with the final product.

Hope someone found this build interesting, and thanks so much to the entire Musicar NW team for the outstanding work and customer service every step of the way.

PnP Metra adapters hard-wired to speakers for a single-plug OEM connection:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Audio Upgrade - Alpine to Audison DSP and Morel Sub - now with added Helix! 53256212798_c2cc6e0666_o

Flimsy Stinger speaker mounting plate:

Not-so-flimsy Musicar custom speaker mounting plate:

Helix Ci3 woofer and tweeter in their new homes:

The Stinger grills are almost too clean, it's hard to tell anything was done here:

Pickup ready for pickup 😀

Misc add'l product info:
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/speakers/compose/
I used your setup as inspiration for mine. It’s not been easy t find a setup that maintains the integrity of the original fascia and builds around the OEM format. Mine is not quite as high-end, however. I am having one issue that we haven’t been able to resolve…the dreaded whining noise when accelerating. I have a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon and supposedly, noise on the head unit when adding another amp is not uncommon. But thus far, no fixes. Is it possible that the crossovers in the enclosed speakers up front are too close to the head unit? No matter what we tried, sound is still present. Install is professional…grounds are sound and yet, still noise. Please help????

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is the whining in all the speakers or just some of them? Also usually whining comes from the low signal side, not the speaker output size. On way to check is use different RCA cables (good ones) and run then not tucked in behind your panels and away from any other wires. Basically unplug the RCA cables from you RCA converter and amps, then try the new ones running them out in the open over your seats and away from everything else.
If there is some cross talk from your current RCA's being close to something else putting out a signal, this would temporarily eliminate that...

ajenkins1972

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Is the whining in all the speakers or just some of them? Also usually whining comes from the low signal side, not the speaker output size. On way to check is use different RCA cables (good ones) and run then not tucked in behind your panels and away from any other wires. Basically unplug the RCA cables from you RCA converter and amps, then try the new ones running them out in the open over your seats and away from everything else.
If there is some cross talk from your current RCA's being close to something else putting out a signal, this would temporarily eliminate that...
Thank you for the reply. All cables are high quality, shielded and placement is sound. Whine is when accelerating in all speakers as though it’s coming from the alternator. Everything was removed, wires replaced and even tried a different amp.

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In the past (early 90's) I have spent $2 a foot for RCA cables and still that was the culprit.
But in the end, you have two choices, you can try theorize what is wrong and go back and forth or you can try things to fix it. Someone telling you it is all good stuff and ran correctly isn't going to fix it. Just like the dealers who tell people "all your steering components are fine" when you have death wobble.
That whine can only come from three things, bad wiring (to include running the wiring next to things that will croos talk), a bad ground or bad amps. If the ground is good (and thst should have been the first thing they checked) the next cheapest/easiest thing to check is a quick test with different RCA cables ran out in the open. After that the only thing toleft is to start changing you equipment, and that is expensive..
Good luck with your trouble shooting, but take what the stereo shop says with a grain of salt. Because it is as simple as this, if everything is good than I shouldn't have whine so fix it ....

Sponsored

G3N1U5

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel Gobi
Occupation
Costco Wholesale Inc.
I recently went through the first major audio upgrade on my Gladiator and am extremely happy with the results! I wanted to share my build in case it is helpful for others researching their upgrade.

What I had/have: 2021 Gladiator with 8.4” Uconnect and Alpine factory audio

Previous upgrades: Terra Acoustics Front Stage 3.5” Upgrade, MOPAR/Kicker OEM 3.5” Rear Soundbar Upgrade, stock audio otherwise.

I had previously done the front and rear 3.5” upgrades, which was a huge help with the desperately-lacking mids and vocals on the factory system. However, it was still limited in many ways, including total volume and bass response — the factory Alpine “sub” barely deserves to be called as such. I also wanted to de-equalize any inherent EQ or bass roll-off built into the factory signal and retune for the correctly-flattened input signal. I did not want to replace the factory 8.4” unit nor did I want to cut any wires, drill any metal, trim any plastic or otherwise. Retaining the Uconnect HU was important to me for the seamless integration with SiriusXM, SiriusXM Guardian Services, Apple Carplay, Steering Wheel Controls, HVAC controls, high-def backup camera, etc. Every aftermarket / restyling headunit I have seen for JL/JT makes some type of compromise in functionality or OEM integration (though the Alpine restyle and Stinger HEIGH10 are very impressive units).

In case anyone is curious how the factory Alpine system works. It is listed as a 552w 12 channel amp for ~46w max per channel (likely around 23w RMS per channel). The front stage is a set of 3.5” widerange/tweeters on the dash and 4” mids in the knee panels with active crossover in the amp and separate wiring for each. The rears are the same quad speaker config in the sound bar for 8 active channels total for the front/rear main stage. The remaining 4 channels of the amplifier are active and power the quad voice coils on the factory sub. Both of the 3.5” Alpine factory speakers I measured with a DMM came out to 3.6 ohm impedance after charging, so 4 ohm nominal — the previous information I’ve read about them supposedly being 2 ohm appear to be inaccurate. As I understand it, the non-Alpine base system utilizes parallel speaker wiring between each 3.5” and 4” pair with capacitors / bass blockers for each speaker to provide highs and lows as needed. Upgrading that to a active system with DSP would be more difficult due to the lack of separate speaker wiring for each speaker location.

Enter Musicar NW of Portland, OR and an Audison DSP Amplifier - based upgrade…

I contacted my buddy Sean at Musicar Northwest to discuss my various ideas and goals. He patiently quoted me a variety of options and explained the pros and cons of each decision I needed to make. Upgrading OEM amplified systems is one of their specialties (they do a lot of high-end German cars and Teslas and so forth) and he helped me confirm all of my research and assumptions regarding how to upgrade a Jeep in the least-intrusive manner possible. They tend to deal in higher-end brands such as Morel, Focal, Audison, Hertz, HELIX, BRAX, etc., but he was happy to follow my requests for various components (as long as it was something he felt comfortable recommending/using himself).

Newly installed major parts:

This effectively replaces the active factory amplifier with an active 8 channel amplifier and a mono amplifier for the subwoofer stage. The newest Audison bit DSP software allows for custom-assigning individual outputs based on individual or summed inputs, de-equalizing and flattening the factory headunit output, removing any factory time correction, complete crossover and EQ tuning, per-channel phase correction, etc. It’s a very impressive bit of kit, especially in the right tuning hands. Sean initially recommended HELIX DSP amplifiers (amazing in their own right), but I preferred the small footprint and clean install packaging of the Audison components. The Audison rep for Elettromedia also lives here in Portland and I always like supporting the local guys 👌

Everything is tied together with an incredible install and final tune by their amazing installation and tuning staff. Pierce and TJ did an amazing job on my truck; by far the cleanest and most thoughtful install I’ve ever had on the variety of vehicles I’ve owned and upgraded over the last 25 years. The attached pictures of the work in progress do not do their talents any justice. Thanks to the plug-and-play products and careful install, everything is completely reversible if desired in the future.

The Metra amp racks and JL fuse holder bracket for JL/JT make things that much easier for us Jeepers; it’s nice to have a vehicle that is supported so thoroughly by the aftermarket. These kinds of easy solutions for things like fuse and amp mounting give the installer more time to focus on the finer details. The second fuse holder position on the bracket is still available for a future project, such as a high-power inverter or onboard air…or more stereo 😈

The Fox Acoustics enclosure is nicely constructed, but does not include any provisions for mounting, which would be concerning during any kind of evasive maneuvers, offroad inclines or an accident. One benefit of the Fox box versus other pre-fab options is that it retains the OEM hardtop hardware box whereas others require moving it; there’s also a bit of room on each end for odds and ends under the seat. Pierce was able to utilize existing OEM fastener locations to mount the box on the passenger side through the bottom wall of the enclosure under the woofer, and on the driver’s side with a custom aluminum bracket down to a factory attachment point. This kind of clean and seamless custom bracketry is why I love a highly-skilled boutique shop like Musicar; their standards are far higher than mine and they have the unique tools and resources to quickly produce just about anything. Custom CNC aluminum parts and 3D-printed doodads are commonplace to their installs.

Another nice touch was their utilization of a open high amperage lug within the factory power distribution box to minimize any extra attachments at the top of the battery.

The PAC Audio interface and Audison amps integrate perfectly into the OEM system with absolutely no hiss, turn-on/turn-off pops or otherwise. I’d never know any of it was there if it weren’t for the significantly-elevated audio quality and much-bigger thump emanating from the back seat. The only visible part of the install is the small bass knob mounted to the front of the shifter console. It is as if the factory system is still in place but with a nuclear reactor powering it 🚀

The only downside is the predictable bummer of the loss of most of the underseat space; front seats for amps and rear seats for the sub. You could certainly do a similar upgrade with a smaller and/or single amp as well as a smaller sub configuration if you wanted to keep more interior space available.

I’m absolutely stoked with the final product and definitely did not think that a Jeep could sound this good with stock / mild speaker upgrade, even with the Sunrider top flipped back. It’s easy to get a lot of volume in the rear of the cabin with a sound bar full of 6.5’s and lots of wattage, but doing it with a correct front stage and correct processing/tuning makes all the difference in the world for making it sound great. I am looking forward to a second final upgrade including upgraded midrange front speakers in the knee panel and sound bar with a retune for the finishing touches. Thanks to everyone at Musicar for an A+ install, and to a variety of different threads in these forums for helping me research my decisions.

Other fun links:

https://instagram.com/musicar.nw

https://terraacoustics.com/products/jeep-front-soundstage-upgrade-jl-jt (Front dash 3.5” 2-way upgrade)

https://www.jeepworld.com/products/kicker-rear-fold-down-speakers-77kick25ab-mopar (Soundbar 3.5” 2-way upgrade)

ok, BEAUTIFUL BUILD!!! love it, I have the fox box with 2 10s and I am loving it except the fact that the internals are super low in volume compared to the SUBS... so let me get this straight... You can BYPASS the whole factory amp system by plugging in that wire harness from PAC CH41 behind the radio to get the signal... then go to the 8 ch AMP that YOU bought, then the OUTPUT of that 8 ch AMP that YOU bought has a wire harness that goes back in to the system by the PAC CH03 wiring harness? and that will go send the sound to the speakers, right? and what are you supposed to plug in to the factory amp to keep making sure that it sends a signal to keep the radio on? I am so confused and I really want to get my small speakers to be much louder than what they are right now.... thanks for the help.

OP
OP

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
I used your setup as inspiration for mine. It’s not been easy t find a setup that maintains the integrity of the original fascia and builds around the OEM format. Mine is not quite as high-end, however. I am having one issue that we haven’t been able to resolve…the dreaded whining noise when accelerating. I have a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon and supposedly, noise on the head unit when adding another amp is not uncommon. But thus far, no fixes. Is it possible that the crossovers in the enclosed speakers up front are too close to the head unit? No matter what we tried, sound is still present. Install is professional…grounds are sound and yet, still noise. Please help????
Man, those types of problems can be frustrating. As mentioned above, a good shop should be able to diagnose their own work on this, so I'd definitely put the onus on them to make good on it. It sounds like most of the main components have been tested/swapped, but perhaps the PAC Audio unit itself is bad, or you may have some type of grounding issue the shop has yet to find. With my setup, even using RCA's between the PAC Audio adapter and the DSP Amp, there is absolutely no whine, hiss. floor noise or otherwise. Even with the volume level set to maximum, it is dead silent between tracks and during silent portions of songs. It's the best system and setup I have ever had in that regard.

ok, BEAUTIFUL BUILD!!! love it, I have the fox box with 2 10s and I am loving it except the fact that the internals are super low in volume compared to the SUBS... so let me get this straight... You can BYPASS the whole factory amp system by plugging in that wire harness from PAC CH41 behind the radio to get the signal... then go to the 8 ch AMP that YOU bought, then the OUTPUT of that 8 ch AMP that YOU bought has a wire harness that goes back in to the system by the PAC CH03 wiring harness? and that will go send the sound to the speakers, right? and what are you supposed to plug in to the factory amp to keep making sure that it sends a signal to keep the radio on? I am so confused and I really want to get my small speakers to be much louder than what they are right now.... thanks for the help.
The factory amp stays in the truck and plugged in to keep all diagnostics happy, but the outputs from the factory amp do not power any speakers. The harness that normally connects the speakers to the stock amp outputs now goes to the PAC adapter harness and the speaker outputs from the aftermarket amp. It all works beautifully TBH.

G3N1U5

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel Gobi
Occupation
Costco Wholesale Inc.
Man, those types of problems can be frustrating. As mentioned above, a good shop should be able to diagnose their own work on this, so I'd definitely put the onus on them to make good on it. It sounds like most of the main components have been tested/swapped, but perhaps the PAC Audio unit itself is bad, or you may have some type of grounding issue the shop has yet to find. With my setup, even using RCA's between the PAC Audio adapter and the DSP Amp, there is absolutely no whine, hiss. floor noise or otherwise. Even with the volume level set to maximum, it is dead silent between tracks and during silent portions of songs. It's the best system and setup I have ever had in that regard.

The factory amp stays in the truck and plugged in to keep all diagnostics happy, but the outputs from the factory amp do not power any speakers. The harness that normally connects the speakers to the stock amp outputs now goes to the PAC adapter harness and the speaker outputs from the aftermarket amp. It all works beautifully TBH.
Ok, so the plug that is exposed and that we are looking at is the OUTPUT plug of the factory amp? Is that correct? And the harness CH03(?) it looks like only a 4 channel plug, I have a 4 channel amp, does that mean I need to get an 8channel? Also, thank you so much for your reply man, building this thing get frustrating.

Zonian

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Ecodiesel
Thank you for the write up. My plan is similar. Did you use the Metra JP 1018 Speaker Grill cut-ins? They open up the factory grills for the front mids from 4" to 6 1/2".

Zonian

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Ecodiesel
One more question if you don't mind. How does the Fox Box look with the seat down? I've narrowed my sub(s) decision down to the Stinger Dual 8s ported, Alpine Halo Dual 8 ported, or the Fox Box with decent 10" I already have. I'm leaning towards the Stinger because of the mounting system and retaining the factory jack location. But, I would save a few hundred dollars and a lIttle space on the ends of the Fox Box like you mentioned.
Sponsored