8 Speed Behavior

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
it probably has a lot more to do with engine temperature than 'learning' anything.
The algorithms are all programmed in from the factory.
"The 948TE automatic transmission uses a sophisticated shift algorithm that includes
learned information so that the shift quality remains excellent even as the transmission
wears. This learned information is recorded in memory cells referred to “Adaptation
Memory Cells”. "

Snip

"Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the
transmission shift quality may not meet the customers expectations."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2...ains excellent even as the transmission wears.
Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Whats the 948TE?

"The 948TE automatic transmission uses a sophisticated shift algorithm that includes
learned information so that the shift quality remains excellent even as the transmission
wears. This learned information is recorded in memory cells referred to “Adaptation
Memory Cells”. "

Snip

"Until the adaptation has been learned/relearned, the
transmission shift quality may not meet the customers expectations."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10139769-9999.pdf#:~:text=The 948TE automatic transmission uses a sophisticated shift,quality remains excellent even as the transmission wears.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I'm not arguing what you were saying earlier..

I have noticed that transmissions behave differently based on coolant temperature. They generally carry rams much higher to help engines warm up faster.

Good point! I missed that.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm not arguing what you were saying earlier..

I have noticed that transmissions behave differently based on coolant temperature. They generally carry rams much higher to help engines warm up faster.
People get very excited about improved performance - for me it's the old better mouse trap argument. Some say hey look, a better mouse trap. Some say, the old mouse trap works fine. And some say, hey, clean up all around and you won't need a mouse trap. Other people say well, it costs so damn much to clean up, and besides I'd rather party anyway. And I'm sure a whole bunch of people say a whole bunch of other things about moustraps. Probably, some people don't give a shit about mousetraps, so there's that. :LOL::CWL::LOL::CWL::like:

Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Yeah, I would rather have a manual myself. Specially considering the reverse gear.
But, if I use it on longer trips and have my wife drive, I'm thinking left foot braking over rocks might be better for her.

People get very excited about improved performance - for me it's the old better mouse trap argument. Some say hey look, a better mouse trap. Some say, the old mouse trap works fine. And some say, hey, clean up all around and you won't need a mouse trap. Other people say well, it costs so damn much to clean up, and besides I'd rather party anyway. And I'm sure a whole bunch of people say a whole bunch of other things about moustraps. Probably, some people don't give a shit about mousetraps, so there's that. :LOL::CWL::LOL::CWL::like:

go0001

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland Sting Gray
Occupation
Technology
Yes, absolutely the best automatic I've ever driven.
I love the 8 speed in the JT - it's great for high speed driving on the highway.
ZF makes great transmissions - it's a huge improvement over the trans in my old 2014 JKU.
My 2007 BMW 335 has the ZF 6HP and it's super smooth - I treat that thing like a manual trans.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
The fact that its better than in the JK, is a huge relief.
I have a buddy with a JK, and I have to say - it sucks on every level.

I think besides the engine, they have the JT pretty much perfect.

I love the 8 speed in the JT - it's great for high speed driving on the highway.
ZF makes great transmissions - it's a huge improvement over the trans in my old 2014 JKU.
My 2007 BMW 335 has the ZF 6HP and it's super smooth - I treat that thing like a manual trans.

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
I’ve put 1400 miles on My 2022 Mojave and this thread has answered a lot of my questions about this transmission. I’ve found it somewhat frustrating, like it doesn’t seem to know what gear it wants to be in at times.
Sponsored