First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
98 is around 7.85
95 is around 7.1$/gal
Do they measure octane differently there or do you guys just get better gas?
Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
Do they measure octane differently there or do you guys just get better gas?
yeah in EU we use RON indice and in US its PON
basically our 95 equals your 91 and our 98 equals your 93

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
yeah in EU we use RON indice and in US its PON
basically our 95 equals your 91 and our 98 equals your 93
and i dont know about US but now here they add Ethanol on 95 its calles 95E10 means 10% of ethanol

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
and i dont know about US but now here they add Ethanol on 95 its calles 95E10 means 10% of ethanol
Almost all US gasoline is 10% ethanol (all octanes). It has been for a long time here (decades). We also have 15% and 85%. We can still get ethanol free, but it's not mainstream. I only use it on my old classic car and my snowblower, because they sit around a lot of the time not being used.

Sponsored

rubicon4wheeler

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Safety Supervisor
Almost every vehicle I've ever owned over the last 30 years has been a manual transmission. Automatic transmissions were always so terrible, but finally they've gotten to be better than manuals. I still would have preferred a manual behind my diesel, but since the only transmission available for that is the 8HP75 and it happens to be one of the best automatics ever made, I decided to go for it. The ability to manually shift it when the transmission "brain" can't figure out what I want is fantastic. I still find my left foot trying to stomp on a clutch pedal that doesn't exist while my arm reaches for the shifter, but I'll eventually grow out of that. Overall, no regrets!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Almost all US gasoline is 10% ethanol (all octanes). It has been for a long time here (decades). We also have 15% and 85%. We can still get ethanol free, but it's not mainstream. I only use it on my old classic car and my snowblower, because they sit around a lot of the time not being used.
E85= cheap race gas. Octane between 100 to 105. On a forced induction motor. It's good for 100 plus HP. But you have to be tuned for it.

misterturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator
Drive a ford 10 speed, and youā€™ll wish it had a ZF. Absolute garbage ;) One of many reasons I ditched my Raptor. ZF makes fantastic transmissions, have had ZF in almost every car over the past 5 years and they rock. Even the ZF in two BMWs were fantastic.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine hangs onto gears for an uncomfortably long time when I'm towing, it doesn't seem to like the additional load. If it really bothers me I just manually shift it. I wish they would tweak the shift logic a tad for those conditions, but overall I'm very happy with the 8 spd
It's doing exactly what it should be doing to prevent lugging or over-loading the engine. The thing knows the torque output.
People need to get over the engine revving for HP. Don't sweat it when it's cranking 2500 RPM or better. No big deal. Hell, these are still in economy mode - low lift intake valve mode up to 2800 RPM.
We were on the FLAT in Florida and there was a head-wind and my truck never left 7th gear, running in the lower 2,000s much of the time were were on that highway. It's normal.
LET IT WIND UP!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
E85= cheap race gas. Octane between 100 to 105
The octane of pure ethanol is estimated to be about 109 according to official gov docs, so E85 will be less than that.
However, a couple of universities say it's 100, others have it between 100 and 110. +
And in fact, they can't actually measure it because the engines made to measure octane run carburetors so once a certain amount of ethanol is added to gas, it's an estimate.
A number of guys build old-school engines, re-tune the carbs and run pure ethanol or E85 for racing. Like you said - it needs high compression and very different tunes.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The octane of pure ethanol is estimated to be about 109 according to official gov docs, so E85 will be less than that.
However, a couple of universities say it's 100, others have it between 100 and 110. +
And in fact, they can't actually measure it because the engines made to measure octane run carburetors so once a certain amount of ethanol is added to gas, it's an estimate.
A number of guys build old-school engines, re-tune the carbs and run pure ethanol or E85 for racing. Like you said - it needs high compression and very different tunes.
Between it and 93 in my twin turbo Nismo It's good for a 120HP increase. 583 to 703 HP on the dyno.

One of many dyno runs. Have over 30 dyno runs on the car.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Between it and 93 in my twin turbo Nismo It's good for a 120HP increase. 583 to 703 HP on the dyno.

One of many dyno runs. Have over 30 dyno runs on the car.

My Silverado woke up with E85 and towed better, with less effort.
I REALLY wish the JT was flex fuel.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My Silverado woke up with E85 and towed better, with less effort.
I REALLY wish the JT was flex fuel.
With E85. The ecu will run with more timing before it detects knock.
When I switch to the E85 map and run it. It really drinks the stuff like an alcoholic on a 3 day binge.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
jeez my engine must probably hate me ;-) i think on 25000 miles he saw 5 times up to 4000 rpm ;-)
most of the time im driving it like my old GTD with DSG gearbox :) :)
Iā€™m pretty jealous of the GTDā€¦. Iā€™m getting ready to put a gtb2265vk in our mk6 sportwagen- waiting on a cp3 pump to shipā€¦. Canadian customs or something šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜¢. Wish we got the GTD or the 4motion tdiā€™s on this side.

Reactions: Dim

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Drive a ford 10 speed, and youā€™ll wish it had a ZF. Absolute garbage ;) One of many reasons I ditched my Raptor. ZF makes fantastic transmissions, have had ZF in almost every car over the past 5 years and they rock. Even the ZF in two BMWs were fantastic.
I heard , donā€™t know if itā€™s true , but itā€™s possible than BMW has a team of ingĆ©nieurs working at ZF directly to specially develop in intern the ZF gearbox for BMW . Which I can believe when you see how work a ZF on a BMW . Almost as good as the DSG . Itā€™s impressive
Sponsored