Sponsored

A case and use for a simple 2"-2.5" lift?

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is all I want or need. Already, my Willys just barely comes under my garage door with the soft top folded back. I'm betting that with the 2.5" I will have to close the top before I go in...and never ever forget! I'm not trying to take this rig to places where I can seriously damage it. I just want to have a little fun and still drive the roads nicely.

You mentioned towing...my Willys came with the 33" M/T Firestones. I needed to tow back the car I drove down to the dealer. Since the car I drove down was my previous Toad for the motorhome, it already had all the fixing to tow it back. The scariest drive of my life. If you want to test fate, do this. The toad behind the Gladiator with soft M/T tires was fighting me the whole way down the road. I first brought it up to highway speeds and realized that within seconds the toad was going to try to push by the back end and send me off the road (with a vehicle 5 minutes old). I drove 555 the whole 100 miles back home with both hands on the wheels and music off. Complete focus was required.
I get it on the towing. I have an 18', 3750 lb, single axel, off road RV trailer. and honestly, it sucks pulling it on the Interstates. It does fine on the 2 lane highways at 55-60 mph, any faster is sketchy at best. I hear ya on the New rig hesitations for off roading. Enjoy what ever you use it for and it will treat you well. I look fwd to seeing some adventure pics from you.
Sponsored

JTButcher

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator ecodiesel Sport S 2022
Occupation
Real Estate
Thanks. It may be that I just need a "leveling kit". Too bad they don't actually call it that and instead make it sound like a complete "lift kit" when it is only lifting the front. With mine coming with the 400 extra pound ecoDiesel and installing a bumper with winch, it could be the right kit and gives me what I need.

With the link you provided they do state:
"A leveling kit is exactly as it sounds; it levels the natural rake the factory gives Wranglers. Rather than having the front sit lower than the rear, the leveling kit will ensure everything sits, well, level. A common upgrade for Jeepers looking to balance things out after adding a heavier steel bumper and winch. Leveling kits don’t exceed more than an inch or two in lift height in most cases. Some coil spacer kits will even have 1-inch of lift in the front and 2-inches in the rear to both achieve lift and level."

I have the same issue ecodiesel and fav four bumper and winch it squatted badly I put 2.5" of teraflex donuts in there and it now is level but I'm wondering if I still need a track bar that's adjustable the jeep seems level only now, not higher than it should from factory.
When I drive it it does feel. Slightly leaning towards the right side instead of driving straight now.
I have to measure the bottoms and see how much the diff slided to the driver side due to the new height.

What recommendations you guys have? Beside maybe a track bar that's adjustable?
I also put some barely used Rubicon shocks and it feels much nicer ride than the original ecodiesel shocks.
Tires are 315/70 17 and they don't rub anywhere now apparently.
I'll see again when I get a chance to go to the trail.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
If you are going to be running more moderate to difficult trails, I would steer you away from spacers. Eventually, especially out east with mud, the spacers will deteriorate and fail. There have been a couple in our Jeep club that the Poly spacers fell out in pieces after only 1.5 years.

That said, I have Rubicon take-offs, with 1.5 inch leveling spacers currently... I will be going to 1.5 inch lift springs soon to avoid any future issues, and to eliminate a clunk when my front
suspension unloads.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Well, The leveler are just fine. Rig looks great. Adapted new bumper to include both winch and tow adapters (had to cut and weld some pieces back together). Tows great behind the motorhome with a DIY shield/net that has kept all rocks completely off. Gone on nice trails in NM, MT, and CO. Only scraped a little a couple of times. Enjoyed a lot of fun places. All perfect in my world. Have the top off most of the time.

20210707_153254.jpg

20210711_062153.jpg

20211111_102612.jpg

20220215_130300.jpg

20220227_103520.jpg

20220429_110257.jpg

signal-2022-09-06-202038_004.jpeg

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Not correct - How will a suspension lift raise the transfer case skid plate that is bolted to the frame? What about the gas tank skid? It won't. The breakover angle of a JT will not change with a suspension lift.

The only way you are going to increase breakover angle is with larger tires, or some sort of belly tucked skid plate (which I doubt anyone makes).

Granted, larger tires require a lift, which with a JT you can get 35" under it with no lift.

KevinC
I don’t think you know how this works… lift raises everything except axles. Tires raise axles.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I stand corrected, my bad. I was thinking about the body lifts and how they only raise the body off the frame. A suspension lift does in fact raise the frame.

I admit when I error.

KevinC
I don’t think you know how this works… lift raises everything except axles. Tires raise axles.

If you had read the post, I corrected myself.

KevinC

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I admit when I error.
Apparently only after being called out by numerous people, and still trying to defend your position.

The biggest problem that you (and a few others) perpetuate, is that it’s ok to run 35’s on any JT with no lift. Technically this is ok if you only have plans to crawl curbs at the mall, or at the most trails that do not require being in 4wd. Yes, it is technically possible… but anything over an easy trail WILL show every non Rubi/Mojave owner that a small lift is necessary to prevent rubbing. Need proof? OP in This thread has 2 inch MOPAR lift, I have about the same with mine…

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Apparently only after being called out by numerous people, and still trying to defend your position.

The biggest problem that you (and a few others) perpetuate, is that it’s ok to run 35’s on any JT with no lift. Technically this is ok if you only have plans to crawl curbs at the mall, or at the most trails that do not require being in 4wd. Yes, it is technically possible… but anything over an easy trail WILL show every non Rubi/Mojave owner that a small lift is necessary to prevent rubbing. Need proof? OP in This thread has 2 inch MOPAR lift, I have about the same with mine…
Seems like you are the one calling me out, repeatedly, for something I corrected months ago. Where have I continued to defend my position on this topic, that I admitted was inaccurate? Months ago.

The biggest problem that you perpetuate, is that you feel it's needed to keep bringing it up.
Sponsored