Sponsored

About to order a Willys - suggestions appreciated!!!

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold: 1999 TJ
Occupation
Biz Owner/Financial & Tax
Hi all! I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I am about to order and would love some feedback. I drove a '99 wrangler for 13 years, but made a regretful decision in 2011 to buy a Honda CRV. I can't wait to get back in a Jeep and so excited for the Gladiator! I plan to drive this a long time. so want to make the right upfront choices. The last 3 options listed I know are easy to add, but stuff I need/want upfront.

Here is what I am thinking:

Willys Option (white)
AUX switch
Cargo management grp
Roll-up tonneau
Trailer Tow
Spray-in bedliner

As you can see, it is fairly basic, and I am even torn on going with the lower Willys Sport option, as I plan to have the doors off for at least 30-40% of the year. I am in the Boston area now, but when I drove the TJ I lived in SoCal.

But I am drawn to the Cargo management group for the AC outlet, and I have read that is hard to add after. My daughter is a hockey player, so having that in the back for a small heater while she gets dressed would be awesome, plus advantageous for tailgating. Also, I personally really don't feel I need the power doors, but worried that could get annoying in the winter with anyone in the back.

The biggest thing though that I am torn on is whether to spring for the 8.4 premium audio group. I really don't think its worth the cost to me, but would love to hear why it is to others!?!

Appreciate any and all feedback! Ordering in the next few days!:)
Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Welcome to the forums. I wound up optioning mine out more than I'd anticipated, but like you figured I was going to be driving this for a long time and might as well avoid potential regrets. I got the cold weather package and it's already come in handy -can only imagine how glad you'd be having it being in Boston. The 8.4 adds a lot of tech from the 7", and has an amp and sub-woofer as well. Speakers aren't anything to write home about but the difference in sound is pretty huge. Test drive one with each and turn the music up a bit and see if it's worth it to you. I got an aftermarket tonneau cover because I wanted a specific one (BAK revolver). It's not even summer yet and I'm rolling windows up and down a lot. I'd 100% go for that feature, but others may not mind. It's just a lot of truck to try to reach across and that's a simple comfort worth the $ for me.

OP
OP
BeingFIT

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welcome to the forums. I wound up optioning mine out more than I'd anticipated, but like you figured I was going to be driving this for a long time and might as well avoid potential regrets. I got the cold weather package and it's already come in handy -can only imagine how glad you'd be having it being in Boston. The 8.4 adds a lot of tech from the 7", and has an amp and sub-woofer as well. Speakers aren't anything to write home about but the difference in sound is pretty huge. Test drive one with each and turn the music up a bit and see if it's worth it to you. I got an aftermarket tonneau cover because I wanted a specific one (BAK revolver). It's not even summer yet and I'm rolling windows up and down a lot. I'd 100% go for that feature, but others may not mind. It's just a lot of truck to try to reach across and that's a simple comfort worth the $ for me.
Thanks Chip! I am laughing because I realized that I didn't even turn the radio on during my two test drives today. I guess that shows you how much I care about the sound quality. lol. One thing I do like about the 8.4 package is the 2-usb and 1 AC outlet on the console for the back seat riders. But that in itself is not worth the 2k. On the cold weather group, if I was getting an automatic I would definitely add that for the remote start, but otherwise don't really care for heated seats. I tried hard to like the automatic I tested today because otherwise was close to my build and didn't want to wait. But then I took a spin on a random manual on the lot and was just so much more fun for me. Hope you are enjoying your Willys and thanks for the feedback!

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
I think most people get the 8.4 so they can have access to what is it "offroad pages" I think...

Obviously bigger screen, etc...

I bought a willys sport. Came from a bmw with every option.

I had the 5" and it was fine for what it was. I had planned to upgrade aftermarket from the get go as I do not like factory nav anyhow. Might of done the 7 if that wasn't the plan (not sure if a sport even can)

Manual windows are no problem. Can roll passenger down while driving. The back, eh, rather take off the doors.

The manual locks were annoying for like a day until I decided to stop using them.

Some people say its hard to reach behind to unlock the back doors but I haven't had any issues when I do use them.

The glove box, armrest and behind back seats all lock so enough for me if I need to stow something valuable.

I was interested in the bed outlet as well but when it came down to it, it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade everything else just for a bed outlet.

Adding the factory bed outlet after the fact could be tricky I hear as well, just adding an outlet, less so, I hear, if an outlet somewhere else would suit you. Though I'm still looking into that myself.

Haven't used my aux switches yet but agree worth it. At that price why not?

I dunno. It comes down to what do you want?

I wanted the least tech -d out version I could get. Others want all the goodies.

I'd suggest getting out there and trying some out.

Editing... Just to add... I'd say the only real annoying thing for me, owning a willys sport, is the key. You still get the huge key...

...only it now has no buttons, just a flip out key, that you only use to lock the car... yet you can't just take that metal off because you need a battery and a radio signal in the fob to start the car.... :mad::mad::mad:

It should of come with a traditional ignition and key.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeingFIT

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think most people get the 8.4 so they can have access to what is it "offroad pages" I think...

I had the 5" and it was fine for what it was. I had planned to upgrade aftermarket from the get go as I do not like factory nav anyhow. Might of done the 7 if that wasn't the plan (not sure if a sport even can)

Manual windows are no problem. Can roll passenger down while driving. The back, eh, rather take off the doors.

The manual locks were annoying for like a day until I decided to stop using them.

Some people say its hard to reach behind to unlock the back doors but I haven't had any issues when I do use them.

The glove box, armrest and behind back seats all lock so enough for me if I need to stow something valuable.

I was interested in the bed outlet as well but when it came down to it, it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade everything else just for a bed outlet.

Adding the factory bed outlet after the fact could be tricky I hear as well, just adding an outlet, less so, I hear, if an outlet somewhere else would suit you. Though I'm still looking into that myself.

I wanted the least tech -d out version I could get. Others want all the goodies.

Editing... Just to add... I'd say the only real annoying thing for me, owning a willys sport is the key. You still get the huge key...

...only it now has no buttons, just a flip out key, that you only use to lock the car... yet you can't just take that metal off because you need a battery and a radio signal in the fob to start the car.... :mad::mad::mad:

Good points. And I fall on the less tech side too....my daughter however will disagree. So true about not locking it. I never lock my Honda now at home. And will be in the habit of not leaving valuables out in the open during the times with the doors off, so is there a real need when they are on? Wow, looking at numbers and opting for the Willys Sport versus the Willys with the cargo mng grp would save me around $4700-5k depending on dealer disc.

Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Oh for sure, the Willys Sport is $4,195 less expensive before any add ons. I almost went that direction myself but a couple of must-haves (for me) weren't available on the WS. And then I went arguably overboard "since I was already over budget anyway." But SO much of all of this is what fits your needs and wants.

TJRjeepn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Gator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2011 Buick Enclave, 2009 Chevy Malibu
Occupation
Account Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Sport S Max Tow because I knew I wanted ability to tow heavy but with with that being said I highly recommend the cold weather group and 8.4. The heated seats have come in so handy being out in the evening with doors/top off and all winter long. The 8.4 having off road pages and great sounding music is worth the cost IMO. I have a friend who has a base 19’ JLUR with 7” and wishes he had the heated seats and 8.4 after riding in mine.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
The premium audio comes with a power inverter and 115v outlet in the rear console. So if the only reason you were getting the cargo management is for the bed outlet, there is another option. Just run an extension cord through the rear slider to the bed. Also pass on the tonneau. Plenty of much cheaper aftermarket options. And spring for the LED lightning package. Well worth the money.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Your not going to run much of a heater off the 400watt rated outlet in back, most are 750 to 1500 watts, and a smaller then 400 watt is not going to warm up much and really you want the 8.4 anyway which puts an outlet at back seat. As for the 8.4 inch screen I have the 7 screen and like it, almost as much as the money still in my wallet.
One other thing are there optional tires, those standard mud tires look to be very aggressive and noisey also.....Jack

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I’m pro 8.4. Think it really fills the dash better plus the extra tech. I’m a huge fan of the auto temp

there’s no way I would own a car without auto locks/windows but thats me

I opted out of rail management - rails would have been nice but I had the same outlet power in my previous car trunk area . It never ran anything I wanted or needed when I tried it. Ended up hardly using it and finding it pretty pointless. Like I think I truly used it Once for a light. Everything else I had hoped to use it couldn’t power.

8.4 also adds one in the second row now if you do have something to power.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeingFIT

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought a Sport S Max Tow because I knew I wanted ability to tow heavy but with with that being said I highly recommend the cold weather group and 8.4. The heated seats have come in so handy being out in the evening with doors/top off and all winter long. The 8.4 having off road pages and great sounding music is worth the cost IMO. I have a friend who has a base 19’ JLUR with 7” and wishes he had the heated seats and 8.4 after riding in mine.
Thanks, starting to rethink the cold weather group after all these comments. In ordinary cars I dislike my butt on fire, however I keep forgetting that when I drove my Jeep before I primarily lived in SoCal. So, if I can extend my time with top/doors off I might appreciate it.

OP
OP
BeingFIT

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m pro 8.4. Think it really fills the dash better plus the extra tech. I’m a huge fan of the auto temp

there’s no way I would own a car without auto locks/windows but thats me

I opted out of rail management - rails would have been nice but I had the same outlet power in my previous car trunk area . It never ran anything I wanted or needed when I tried it. Ended up hardly using it and finding it pretty pointless. Like I think I truly used it Once for a light. Everything else I had hoped to use it couldn’t power.

8.4 also adds one in the second row now if you do have something to power.
Interesting on the AC outlet. Do you think it would inflate an air mattress easy enough? Or small cooking appliances?

OP
OP
BeingFIT

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Your not going to run much of a heater off the 400watt rated outlet in back, most are 750 to 1500 watts, and a smaller then 400 watt is not going to warm up much and really you want the 8.4 anyway which puts an outlet at back seat. As for the 8.4 inch screen I have the 7 screen and like it, almost as much as the money still in my wallet.
One other thing are there optional tires, those standard mud tires look to be very aggressive and noisey also.....Jack
Interesting. Hoping to do some camping so also thought useful for small cooking appliances, air mattress, or light. I am not much of an electrician but I thought the AC in the back with the 8.4 had less power?

OP
OP
BeingFIT

BeingFIT

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh for sure, the Willys Sport is $4,195 less expensive before any add ons. I almost went that direction myself but a couple of must-haves (for me) weren't available on the WS. And then I went arguably overboard "since I was already over budget anyway." But SO much of all of this is what fits your needs and wants.
I think I am now heading in that overboard, over budget anyway direction. LOL

NotmyJt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys

Editing... Just to add... I'd say the only real annoying thing for me, owning a willys sport, is the key. You still get the huge key...

There’s a thread a guy on here that makes replacement key fobs pretty cheap that are much smaller. I’m sure someone can link the thread
Sponsored