Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control: yay or nay?

Chromehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have it and also have a Nissan Murano with it. It is not near as refined as the Murano. As others have stated, when it throws the brakes on you better hold on. Also the high mounting point at the top of the windshield caused problems at times with bridges and will slam the brakes on and throw a stop warning that scares you way worse than any danger. On an open interstate is where is is best, but still not near as good as Nissans.
Sponsored

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Double and triple YAY!! I love ACC on my gladiator, I use it all the time - even while towing.

that said, it’s not as good as my old F-150’s ACC.

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I love ACC but not in the Jeep. I had it in my Raptor and it worked excellently. Best time to use it is in heavy traffic and it'll just pace the car in front of you. Really helps reduce driver fatigue on very long trips. I also had it in my Jeep JL Rubicon and didn't like it as much. Jeep's implementation of it doesn't work very well in my opinion. It's either too sensitive or not sensitive enough and it's not smooth operationally. My Gladiator does NOT have it. I specifically ordered it without it. The cameras use up a bunch of window space in the front, and when you replace your windshield it's like 3 times more expensive. And you will probably replace quite a few of them.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Absolutely love it. My wife, who has hated every truck and Jeep we've had, now prefers the Gladiator over her sports car simply because of that. I wish she'd let me sell the thing. The AEB saved my ass one time when an idiot in a truck pulled out in front of me because his view was blocked, which also blocked my view to react. It was on the brakes before I could be. Road trips with the travel trailer are SO much more relaxed now. Blend in with the trucks, which are mostly on adaptive also, and it's just smooth and easy.

and when you replace your windshield it's like 3 times more expensive.
Why? The ACC/AEB box is attached to the roll bar, not the windshield. Other cars have it on the windshield. But where do you think the box stays if you fold down the Jeep windshield?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I should add that 96% of my driving is done with it. Maybe 98%. I use it in large parking lots and shopping centers. I use it the second I leave my residential street. It's just pretty much always on. I can focus on the task of steering and let it do what it's best at.

Sponsored

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Big thumbs down on all ACC. On a not so busy highway it is horrible. Here is the scenario - CC set to 73 mph, driving in the Right lane and you are approaching another vehicle that is going say 65. ACC slows you down and you don’t realize it for a period of time a you are lulled into just staying where you are 200 feet back when you could have simply steered around the slower vehicle. Regular CC is the way to go.

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the comparison; I had a loaner Rav4 and noticed the same it was a bit touchy. I hated the Auto High beams (on the Rav4), every time I went under a street light, it would turn off the high beams.
If there are street lights do you really need high beams ?

NightFog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
When I was looking for my Rubicon It was a must have option.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Big thumbs down on all ACC. On a not so busy highway it is horrible. Here is the scenario - CC set to 73 mph, driving in the Right lane and you are approaching another vehicle that is going say 65. ACC slows you down and you don’t realize it for a period of time a you are lulled into just staying where you are 200 feet back when you could have simply steered around the slower vehicle. Regular CC is the way to go.
Yours is broken. I've got many hours and thousands of miles and have never once seen this happen. I use it all the time on the highway, busy or not.

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Don't have it on my Gladiator. Didn't want it. Wife has it on her Outback, and I have never used it when I was driving it.

It's really funny to hear my wife complain when commercials touting the lane assist, adaptive cruise control, etc pop up on TV. She is German, and still has the German outlook on driving. She complains continuously about these devices - "perhaps you should just pay attention to the road instead of relying on the car to do it for you!"

But then she took a trip down to Key West and gushed about how she was able to set the lane assist, adaptive cruise control, etc while driving over the Overseas Highway and she was able to look at the scenery. I guess Florida drivers are rubbing off on her...

Sponsored

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Funny, those that don't have it will argue not to get it, and those that do have it enjoy it.

--> 🍿 <--
I have it and I defer to regular CC and I use CC probably more than most people.

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Yours is broken. I've got many hours and thousands of miles and have never once seen this happen. I use it all the time on the highway, busy or not.
It is not broken on my JT or my wife’s RX350 (or on a dozen rental cars). It works just fine and I like regular CC far better. I keep the ACC desensitized to avoid being unwittingly slowed down

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Oh wait, you're saying that the ACC is working fine, but the driver is asleep and not noticing that something is wrong?

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
I have it but have never used. It just seems odd or unsettling to give that much control over to a computer. When I sit in the left front seat (in the US) I am the driver not a passenger.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The computer always lets you take over, but also provides a reaction speed no human can match. So basically you're getting two drivers, and the human can always over-ride. It's silly to be afraid of the computer, it's not self driving and not able to do more than the human allows.
Sponsored