Added bumper weight

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Overlander with 275/70r18 everything else stock. Looking to add a RR Venator Bumper with a Smittybuilt XRC gen3 with synthetic line. Will this drop the front more? Don't want to lift so I can keep MPG. Willing to put on a levelkit to help. Any suggestion? Size, brand? Will I need control arms and such with 1.5" leveling?
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Any weight you add to the front end is going to lower the height. Take a before/after measurement and add the appropriate spring spacer. You don't need any other components to bring it back to factory height.

If you were to "level" the chassis by adding 2" spacers to the front, your caster angles would increase and axle would be offset to the left and that's why there are those other supporting parts in a good kit.

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Things to consider, Jeep has already done the spring testing for a Jeep to run the factory steel bumper plus a winch. I would start by getting the weight numbers for their bumper and compare to what you're looking at. The winch weight will vary a little bit but not mind blowing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Things to consider, Jeep has already done the spring testing for a Jeep to run the factory steel bumper plus a winch. I would start by getting the weight numbers for their bumper and compare to what you're looking at. The winch weight will vary a little bit but not mind blowing.
Not for Overland! The springs are too soft.
Jeep installs different springs based on the equipment ordered. There are numerous spring combinations for each "level". For example, the front springs under an Overland could be any of 3 or 4 different spring numbers. Same for Rubicon - there's no such thing as "Rubicon springs" - unless you figure that Rubicon springs also can be any of several different numbers.
I know of at least 3 different springs under Rubicon. Same for Overland.
I put Rubicon springs under my Overland - that raised the front of the truck (measured at the bumper) 7/8" - then I STILL sank the front by a full 1/2" or so with a steel bumper and winch I added later.
Since the OP has an Overland, he's going to be looking at more than 1/2" drop with a steel bumper (which isn't even an option on the Overland) and an 80 pound winch.
I bet my Overland would have dropped more than 1/2" with the stock springs.
I had to add 3/4" spacers to bring mine back up in the end.

Summary -
Jeep does not figure the extra weight in - they install springs based on the weight of the truck as built.
Any extra weight will drop the front - how much depends on the weight added and the springs under the front of the truck from the factory.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You're going to have to do as suggested, take measurements before (suggest the front end of the frame rails) then add your bumper and winch and remeasure at same points.

Then you'll have to decide how much of a leveling kit you want to run. Up to 2" you should be okay with OEM parts, you will be out a little side to side and also front to back in wheel well. But it shouldn't be enough to mess you up.

But, if it does mess you up more than you like, the lower control arms for the Mopar lift are available for relatively cheap and you have multiple choices for a track bar to adjust the side to side.

A little note on the Mopar LCA's, they are only 1/4" longer than stock for a 2" lift, so you can see how little it changes.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If you add that bumper and winch and remove the stock one you may or may not lose MPGs, especially if not lifted. I was lifted 2.5" and running 35's when I added my front full width bumper and Badlands winch and I was surprised that my MPGs actually increased a little,I went from averaging 18.5 to 19.1 MPGs. I really can't say how other than maybe the wind resistance from the front the bumper making the front sag a little caused the jeep to be more aerodynamic, that's just a guess. I will say after I added the Rubicon front springs to the front the MPGs went back down to around 18.5 average. If I was you and you want to stay close to stock then a 1.5" leveling kit would be my suggestion. You really don't need to add anything but the spacers. I'm still riding on my stock trackbar and mine drives and rides great and I'm lifted probably 3" in the front now with the Rubicon front springs added.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Weight will impact MPG more than the change in the shape of the bumper. Now if you had a Sport with the filler between bumper and fender, then it's a bit more difference (not by any large amount)
Blocking the fronts of the tires helps MPG as the tires present as more wind resistance. Open the fronts of the tires up, it will have some impact.
So if you go stubby and increase the weight say 100 pounds, it's going to impact MPG. How much no one can say as that will depend on you to some extent, too!

My MPG dropped some when I put the Mopar type steel bumper and winch on mine - you have to figure that much extra weight is of course going to matter. You can't ask the engine to pull more weight around and not use more fuel.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Weight will impact MPG more than the change in the shape of the bumper. Now if you had a Sport with the filler between bumper and fender, then it's a bit more difference (not by any large amount)
Blocking the fronts of the tires helps MPG as the tires present as more wind resistance. Open the fronts of the tires up, it will have some impact.
So if you go stubby and increase the weight say 100 pounds, it's going to impact MPG. How much no one can say as that will depend on you to some extent, too!

My MPG dropped some when I put the Mopar type steel bumper and winch on mine - you have to figure that much extra weight is of course going to matter. You can't ask the engine to pull more weight around and not use more fuel.
This is true for sure, and that's the main reason I went with a full width over a stubby. I can't explain the increase in mpgs though but it could be because I remove the sections from the bumper to the fenders on my stock bumper and the full width closed that gap back up. It's a guessing game really.

OP
OP
JBOverland

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Interesting on the aerodynamics of bumpers. Curious now about the Venator with the openings having a negative effect. Chose it for looks and weight as I don’t need to ram anything as I do mostly just beach and light trails.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting on the aerodynamics of bumpers. Curious now about the Venator with the openings having a negative effect. Chose it for looks and weight as I don’t need to ram anything as I do mostly just beach and light trails.
It should be a light bumper as far as weight (comment on pounds only, not ruggedness or lack of)

It's a bumper without screaming "TANK!" at you.

It's a stylish look, IMO. Not the look of a blacksmith hammering something out late one night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBOverland

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
My thoughts also. Considering I drive city for 90% of the time, why kill my MPG with a big steel ramming bumper. Also it has to fit in my garage. I go camping and beach driving not wheeling. My truck should match that. Thanks to everyone for their input. Great group here.
Sponsored