Aftermarket LED headlights have 1" gap

Davejr110879

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
I recently bought aftermarket LeD headlights w/ JL mounting bracket. Why do i still have a 1" gap in between the grill & the lights? How can i fix the issue?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
A lot of details missing. What brand LED lights? Who's JL mount brackets?

Also, pics help us help you.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Actually there is no Info missing from this. If JL brackets were used, that means you purchased 7" lights vs 9" lights that the JT comes with.

So you have a gap because you bought smaller lights than what the JT comes with.

To "fix" this you need new lights that are actually 9".

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Actually there is no Info missing from this. If JL brackets were used, that means you purchased 7" lights vs 9" lights that the JT comes with.

So you have a gap because you bought smaller lights than what the JT comes with.

To "fix" this you need new lights that are actually 9".
Wutt???
Every vendor (that I've seen)lists the same headlight kit for JL and JT. Even Mopar parts vendors list the same Part Number: 82215136AE for both JL and JT.
So yeah- there's missing info.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wutt???
Every vendor (that I've seen)lists the same headlight kit for JL and JT. Even Mopar parts vendors list the same Part Number: 82215136AE for both JL and JT.
So yeah- there's missing info.
🙄

Reread OPs post again before commenting. He stated he bought JL headlight BRACKETS. OP did NOT state they purchased JL/JT headlights, just aftermarket LED's. You don't need brackets for a 9" headlight to fit. You do however NEED brackets to fit a 7" headlight.

If OP bought brackets and a 9" headlight and tried to use both, it wouldn't even fit.

So seeing as there is a gap still while using both, that means it is a 7" headlight.

Makes sense now, yea?

Now we wait for OP to tell us what they actually bought.

Sponsored

nbvillager

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
retired
First off, I don't know the relevance of JL brackets, if the poster is referring to the JT Gladiator. Secondly, 7-inch headlights will fit the 9-inch opening of the JT Gladiator if the necessary mounting kit is used. As an example, Quadratech has The J.W. Speaker Evolution J2 LED Headlights with JL or Gladiator JT Mounting kit. The mounting kit is what fills in the space and has the necessary attachment points. Again as an example, Quadratech sell a mounting kit separately. The description says: "If you upgraded from a Jeep Wrangler JK to a Wrangler JL you might have some accessories left over from your old JK. One thing that you might have still from your old Jeep are a pair of upgraded headlamps. No need to get rid of them because with our Headlight Adapter Bracket Kit you can use any 7" round headlamp in your JL or JT. These brackets fill in the gap of the larger opening so you can give your Jeep an upgrade in the headlight department while also making it stand out from the others." Whatever issue that the original poster has, he needs to provide more information.

OP
OP

Davejr110879

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
Yes there 7" led vs the 9" factory. Thats why I bought the correct brakes. I know I might be confusing some of you with this. The brakes worked. The head lights look great. but the is 1" gap from front to back not around. Its almost like I need a couple of washers & a longer bt to move them forward so the rubber seal rests on the grill. (If that makes sense

Screenshot_20210314-201910_Gallery.jpg

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Are you sure you got your grille actually clipped in around the bottom? Bang it a few times around the bottom after making sure the clips are lined up.

OP
OP

Davejr110879

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
Are you sure you got your grille actually clipped in around the bottom? Bang it a few times around the bottom after making sure the clips are lined up.
Haha, yeah took it on & off twice banging it in to make sure.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I was right about the 7" lights but wrong about where the gap was LOL.

OP, are you positive the brackets are not flipped (driver to passenger)?

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Yes there 7" led vs the 9" factory. Thats why I bought the correct brakes. I know I might be confusing some of you with this. The brakes worked. The head lights look great. but the is 1" gap from front to back not around. Its almost like I need a couple of washers & a longer bt to move them forward so the rubber seal rests on the grill. (If that makes sense

Jeep Gladiator Aftermarket LED headlights have 1" gap Screenshot_20210314-201910_Gallery
If you live where there is snow, that gap is a feature. It will give the snow a place to go instead of accumulating in the headlight pocket and it will expose the headlight surface to some heated air.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I recently bought aftermarket LeD headlights w/ JL mounting bracket. Why do i still have a 1" gap in between the grill & the lights? How can i fix the issue?
I did the same with the Oracle 7". Bummed about it but oh well. I'm thinking about using washers as spacers to close the gap. My issue is Quadratec advertised like they were meant fir a JT. If they would have said JK lights for a JT I would've spent more to get the right sized light.

Rawgarage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Wow I I saw these on quadratec but didn’t realize it reccessed the headlight that far
Sponsored