Aluminum vs Steel Unistrut for bed rails/Trail Rail system

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave
For those using strut for a trail rail-like system, or any engineers looking to volunteer their services, is there any reason one would need steel strut for tie-down rails? Aluminum looks to be cheaper, and in my mind, the M6 bolts are the weak point in the system. Is steel overkill?
Sponsored

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I would think the aluminum would be fine. You don't want to put a crazy amount of weight on those areas. Most Unistrut that you buy at the big box stores is 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" square, so the Unistrut will protrude slightly from the bedrail. It works fine in most cases, but there may be a possibility that some racks or bed covers get too tight when mounted. The Mopar Trail rails are 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" so they sit flush with the bed rail. Search for Unistrut P3000, it is the same size as the Mopar rails. I believe a few of the companies making their version of the bed rails are using the P3000 for their products.

https://www.atkore.com/Products/Str...and-Fittings/Strut-Channel/P3000-Series/P3000

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I used steel since that is what Home Depot sold (and a 10 foot stick was only $35).

I only used it to mount a bed rack and some tie down points and those items were not affected by the DIY rails sticking out slightly further than OEM rails. Other accessories may not be as forgiving.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
TheDukeofLark

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave
I would think the aluminum would be fine. You don't want to put a crazy amount of weight on those areas. Most Unistrut that you buy at the big box stores is 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" square, so the Unistrut will protrude slightly from the bedrail. It works fine in most cases, but there may be a possibility that some racks or bed covers get too tight when mounted. The Mopar Trail rails are 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" so they sit flush with the bed rail. Search for Unistrut P3000, it is the same size as the Mopar rails. I believe a few of the companies making their version of the bed rails are using the P3000 for their products.

https://www.atkore.com/Products/Str...and-Fittings/Strut-Channel/P3000-Series/P3000
Thanks so much for the in-depth reply. I have experimented with both the full and half strut styles, and had landed on the half strut. With the shorter height, it deflected less when using it to anchor my bed cover. I hadn't thought about finding the trail rail size itself (since it wasn't in front of me at Lowe's) so I might look at that if I'm returning/reordering anyway.

When we say "a crazy amount of weight" what are we talking about? I'm obviously not using it as a recovery point for the Jeep itself, but if my neighbor needs help moving a fridge, could they be used in concert with the lower tie downs to secure something of that weight and size?

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Thanks so much for the in-depth reply. I have experimented with both the full and half strut styles, and had landed on the half strut. With the shorter height, it deflected less when using it to anchor my bed cover. I hadn't thought about finding the trail rail size itself (since it wasn't in front of me at Lowe's) so I might look at that if I'm returning/reordering anyway.

When we say "a crazy amount of weight" what are we talking about? I'm obviously not using it as a recovery point for the Jeep itself, but if my neighbor needs help moving a fridge, could they be used in concert with the lower tie downs to secure something of that weight and size?
I use the lower hooks to hold the bulk of stress / weight on heavy items in the bed. I use my DIY trail rail to help support / stabilize.

OP
OP
TheDukeofLark

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave
While I don't have the answer to your question, there are multiple options on Amazon for trail rail systems. Many for under $200 including mounting hardware and several tie-downs.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gladiator+trail+rail&ref=nb_sb_noss
Yeah, this is probably what I should do. I'm not an engineer, and only kind of handy...but I'm having some fun putting it together the way I want it, and I'm all in for right around $100 at this point (once I return the rejects or repurpose them for other projects.)

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, this is probably what I should do. I'm not an engineer, and only kind of handy...but I'm having some fun putting it together the way I want it, and I'm all in for right around $100 at this point (once I return the rejects or repurpose them for other projects.)
Did you find unistrut without holes on the backside. Not being able to source any local is what got me to looking online when I found the Amazon stuff. I also like the idea of the notches to help hold the tie-downs in place without having to over torque the bolts.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I would also agree with RudeJeepin

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
the M6 bolts are the weak point in the system.
Steel or aluminum doesn't matter, it's not the M6 bolt that is the week point, it's the non reinforced updates in the wall of the bed that's the week point in the system
Sponsored