Sponsored

Am I crazy for thinking I want a Gladiator?

Marko2020

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
UPS Driver
I swapped from a Charger RT (so not very fast šŸ˜‚). I havenā€™t looked back though. The Gladiator is my favorite vehicle Iā€™ve had so far out of 8. Mine is a Sport S w/ Max Tow

If I had come from a Hellcat or Porsche then maybe I would have a different opinion though. Hard to say.
Hey bro, I have a JT Sport S also. What makes it a Max Tow? Is it the springs? I canā€™t seem to get a solid answer from anyone.
Sponsored

Marko2020

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
UPS Driver
Yea Iā€™ve always had V8 trucks. Traded in my 2016 Ram Sport(5.7) for my JT. Havenā€™t looked back. Jeep really is a life style, itā€™s not just a motto. Gotta know that going in or youā€™re probably not gonna be happy. Evidence of this can be seen on used car lots . Lots of used JTā€™s and Wranglers. People buy em thinkin itā€™s gonna be like driving their Silverado but without doors and itā€™s not. šŸ˜‚ I Love mine!

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Hey bro, I have a JT Sport S also. What makes it a Max Tow? Is it the springs? I canā€™t seem to get a solid answer from anyone.
Max Tow Package:
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio
  • Trac-LokĀ® Anti-Spin Rear Differential
  • Black 2-Piece Fender Flares
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty DanaĀ® 44 Wide Front Axle
  • Heavy-Duty DanaĀ® 44 Wide Rear Axle
  • Daytime Running Lamp System
  • GVW Rating - 6,250 Pounds
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer-Hitch Zoom

Marko2020

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
UPS Driver
So the difference is just gearing then. I have all of that except 4:10ā€™s. Thanks man.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Thereā€™s a few thingsā€¦to name a few, the max tow has different springs, heavy duty alternator, limited slip rear diff, 4.10 axle ratio, and wide axles.

If you have the max tow package, your fenders will have the little lip circled below. It should also be listed on the window sticker.

Jeep Gladiator Am I crazy for thinking I want a Gladiator? 00C2FC26-38E5-45E1-8042-8C833B09448C

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The two hot cars in my fleet are an A&A supercharged C7 with Methanol and a Restomod 72 Chevelle with a strong 496. Both are fast, have great paint and are a blast to drive.
I have a JL and a JT Gladiator too.
Where I live the weather is not ideal. It is rainy and foggy all winter and in the summer the bugs destroy the front of your car. Roads here are horrible as well.
What is cool about the Jeeps is that they look just as good dirty as they do clean, soak up the bumps like a champ and are just as much fun to drive as the hot rods.

Junkboater

First Name
Junkboater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
To give you some back story I have always been more of a performance car guy. I've always liked having a lot of horses and always wanted more. I work hard to keep my cars spotless and car show ready. Over the last couple years I guess you could say I've matured and I have less desire to go fast. I have a Charger Scat Pack that I love but have found myself driving it less and less since I got my Maverick last year. It was my first truck(I know its no technically a truck) and I like not having to worry about scrapping or freaking out over any little rock chip or scratch because I tell myself its just a truck and and it should have some signs of being used for truck things.

Last year I took my wifes car in for some work at the dealership and they had a Gladiator Rubicon on the lot. Just killing time while they worked on her car I took it for a test drive. It had the 3 piece hard top so I took the front panels off and took it for a little cruise. I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way. It was a lot slower than the Maverick and was like snail compared to the Charger but I didn't care. Just driving it normally was a fun time.

Since then, I haven't been able to get the Gladiator out of my mind. When I take the Charger out for a drive and get stuck behind traffic and can never send it it feels like a wasted drive to me and I'm thinking if I was cruising in a Gladiator with the roof off I would just be enjoying the drive regardless of speed.

I'm worried though that if I go through with it I will regret it once the novelty wears off and Ill always kick myself for getting rid of the Charger. I have thought keeping the Maverick as a daily and getting a 2 door wrangler as a fun toy but I am over the time and money spent on maintaining 2 cars, (3 really since I handle all the maintenance of my wife's car)

Has anyone here been in the same shoes as me and swapped a fast car for a Gladiator? Any regrets? I don't really see myself doing anything extreme off road so i think as cool as the Rubicon and Mojave are, they would be wasted money for me. I'm strongly considering an Overland or a Max Tow to get the Rubicon gearing.

What do you all think? Is the gladiator for me or is this just a case of the grass always being greener?
Probably biased because I'm selling my Gladiator Max Tow. The Gladiator is just fun and cool and it is also a creative canvas. The only vehicle I've ever had that I liked even more was an Alfa Romeo 147 I had in Europe. After having the Alfa, I decided that having a vehicle that makes you feel passion is really important. I bought the Gladiator for myself as a retirement gift. I do feel passionate about it. I love my Gladiator and am super sad to sell it. Only selling because my wife no longer likes to climb up into the camper bed. She wants a camper van - one level. Yes, a van will be boring, but at least she'll come with me! Anyway, my Gladiator has only 16k miles on it, is essentially like new and has a really well built Super Pacific Camper on it. You can still remove the freedom panels even with the camper on it. Check it out on the Bend, Oregon Craigslist here: 7588245426.html Good luck with your decision.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
To give you some back story I have always been more of a performance car guy. I've always liked having a lot of horses and always wanted more. I work hard to keep my cars spotless and car show ready. Over the last couple years I guess you could say I've matured and I have less desire to go fast. I have a Charger Scat Pack that I love but have found myself driving it less and less since I got my Maverick last year. It was my first truck(I know its no technically a truck) and I like not having to worry about scrapping or freaking out over any little rock chip or scratch because I tell myself its just a truck and and it should have some signs of being used for truck things.

Last year I took my wifes car in for some work at the dealership and they had a Gladiator Rubicon on the lot. Just killing time while they worked on her car I took it for a test drive. It had the 3 piece hard top so I took the front panels off and took it for a little cruise. I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way. It was a lot slower than the Maverick and was like snail compared to the Charger but I didn't care. Just driving it normally was a fun time.

Since then, I haven't been able to get the Gladiator out of my mind. When I take the Charger out for a drive and get stuck behind traffic and can never send it it feels like a wasted drive to me and I'm thinking if I was cruising in a Gladiator with the roof off I would just be enjoying the drive regardless of speed.

I'm worried though that if I go through with it I will regret it once the novelty wears off and Ill always kick myself for getting rid of the Charger. I have thought keeping the Maverick as a daily and getting a 2 door wrangler as a fun toy but I am over the time and money spent on maintaining 2 cars, (3 really since I handle all the maintenance of my wife's car)

Has anyone here been in the same shoes as me and swapped a fast car for a Gladiator? Any regrets? I don't really see myself doing anything extreme off road so i think as cool as the Rubicon and Mojave are, they would be wasted money for me. I'm strongly considering an Overland or a Max Tow to get the Rubicon gearing.

What do you all think? Is the gladiator for me or is this just a case of the grass always being greener?
sounds like you now have the sickness

Sponsored

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
love mine, i was skeptical at first because of all the negative people complaining, but now that i had it for a year i love it very fun to drive.
Jeep Gladiator Am I crazy for thinking I want a Gladiator? 31365F96-4DD6-4FBF-91B3-6E1AA075E82C_1_201_a

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired

Silly boy, Keep the car, ditch the Ford, get the Glad.

Chad1376

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Another former Golf R owner here:

The thing with performance cars, is it's tough to fully enjoy thier performance on the street in a legal way. Long story short, I drove like an asshole every time I got behind the wheel. I'm lucky I didn't end up with a huge ticket or worse. Also, after owning 4 Golf platform cars in a row, I was just tired of them.

The Jeep totaly changes how I drive. I just chug along at the speed limit, and don't worry about if some kid in a Honda with a fart-can exaust pulls up next to me at a light. It's liberating letting go of the idea that every other car on the street needs to be schooled.

That being said, I would never have puchased the Gladiator with the intent of just driving on the street. My purchase was formost based on getting out of town and onto the trails, and so far I have zero regrets.

Full disclosure though, my wife's car is an ND Miata that we autocross and track, so I still get a chance to let my pavement demons loose.

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
They're not for everybody. But they're great if you want a 4 door, bed, and off road ability. They're really the most obvious choice for that criteria.

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Max Tow Package:
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio
  • Trac-LokĀ® Anti-Spin Rear Differential
  • Black 2-Piece Fender Flares
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty DanaĀ® 44 Wide Front Axle
  • Heavy-Duty DanaĀ® 44 Wide Rear Axle
  • Daytime Running Lamp System
  • GVW Rating - 6,250 Pounds
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer-Hitch Zoom
I didn't know about max tow when I got mine so I made sure it had the limited slip, HD cooling, and bigger alternator. Mine has everything except the 4.10 ratio (5.13 now) and wide axles. Other than towing, do the axles help with anything else?
Sponsored