Sponsored

Am I crazy for thinking I want a Gladiator?

scanner70

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
LEO
To give you some back story I have always been more of a performance car guy. I've always liked having a lot of horses and always wanted more. I work hard to keep my cars spotless and car show ready. Over the last couple years I guess you could say I've matured and I have less desire to go fast. I have a Charger Scat Pack that I love but have found myself driving it less and less since I got my Maverick last year. It was my first truck(I know its no technically a truck) and I like not having to worry about scrapping or freaking out over any little rock chip or scratch because I tell myself its just a truck and and it should have some signs of being used for truck things.

Last year I took my wifes car in for some work at the dealership and they had a Gladiator Rubicon on the lot. Just killing time while they worked on her car I took it for a test drive. It had the 3 piece hard top so I took the front panels off and took it for a little cruise. I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way. It was a lot slower than the Maverick and was like snail compared to the Charger but I didn't care. Just driving it normally was a fun time.

Since then, I haven't been able to get the Gladiator out of my mind. When I take the Charger out for a drive and get stuck behind traffic and can never send it it feels like a wasted drive to me and I'm thinking if I was cruising in a Gladiator with the roof off I would just be enjoying the drive regardless of speed.

I'm worried though that if I go through with it I will regret it once the novelty wears off and Ill always kick myself for getting rid of the Charger. I have thought keeping the Maverick as a daily and getting a 2 door wrangler as a fun toy but I am over the time and money spent on maintaining 2 cars, (3 really since I handle all the maintenance of my wife's car)

Has anyone here been in the same shoes as me and swapped a fast car for a Gladiator? Any regrets? I don't really see myself doing anything extreme off road so i think as cool as the Rubicon and Mojave are, they would be wasted money for me. I'm strongly considering an Overland or a Max Tow to get the Rubicon gearing.

What do you all think? Is the gladiator for me or is this just a case of the grass always being greener?
I was in the very same spot you are in, 2021 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 6,000 miles on her. Pampered her everyday. One day I got the bug, traded her in for a 2023 Gladiator Sport and have been having fun ever since, no regrets .
Sponsored

49Truck

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 Jeep Truck
Occupation
Tool Maker
Thank you all for the feedback. As much as I like the idea of keeping the Charger and trading the Mav in on a Gladiator it would make me spend more of my budget on cars than I would want to right now. I still might pull the trigger on a Gladiator and definitly will if something were to happen to either of my cars but for now my plan is to keep both and get a Wrangler later down then line when I can have a 3rd car in the fleet.
I sold my Red 2013 Mustang BOSS 302, then I ordered a '21 Gladiator Sport Max Tow, Gecko Green.
I loved the Mustang, but I like driving around in the Gladiator better. I Love fast cars, and I will get
another one someday, maybe a Challenger, but the Gladiator is not going anywhere. My advice
to you is get a bright color Gladiator, Orange is supposed to come back for 2023, go order one!

Binford

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
To give you some back story I have always been more of a performance car guy. I've always liked having a lot of horses and always wanted more. I work hard to keep my cars spotless and car show ready. Over the last couple years I guess you could say I've matured and I have less desire to go fast. I have a Charger Scat Pack that I love but have found myself driving it less and less since I got my Maverick last year. It was my first truck(I know its no technically a truck) and I like not having to worry about scrapping or freaking out over any little rock chip or scratch because I tell myself its just a truck and and it should have some signs of being used for truck things.

Last year I took my wifes car in for some work at the dealership and they had a Gladiator Rubicon on the lot. Just killing time while they worked on her car I took it for a test drive. It had the 3 piece hard top so I took the front panels off and took it for a little cruise. I absolutely loved it almost in a it drives so bad its fun kind of way. It was a lot slower than the Maverick and was like snail compared to the Charger but I didn't care. Just driving it normally was a fun time.

Since then, I haven't been able to get the Gladiator out of my mind. When I take the Charger out for a drive and get stuck behind traffic and can never send it it feels like a wasted drive to me and I'm thinking if I was cruising in a Gladiator with the roof off I would just be enjoying the drive regardless of speed.

I'm worried though that if I go through with it I will regret it once the novelty wears off and Ill always kick myself for getting rid of the Charger. I have thought keeping the Maverick as a daily and getting a 2 door wrangler as a fun toy but I am over the time and money spent on maintaining 2 cars, (3 really since I handle all the maintenance of my wife's car)

Has anyone here been in the same shoes as me and swapped a fast car for a Gladiator? Any regrets? I don't really see myself doing anything extreme off road so i think as cool as the Rubicon and Mojave are, they would be wasted money for me. I'm strongly considering an Overland or a Max Tow to get the Rubicon gearing.

What do you all think? Is the gladiator for me or is this just a case of the grass always being greener?
I traded my BMW m8 cabriolet in for my Galdiator. The only time I miss the M8 is on on ramps to the highway! ANd I don't miss having to deal with my local BMW dealer AT ALL _ worst car buying experience of my life. Other than that the Gladiator satisfies my want for a convertible. When my 3 yr warranty expires next January, I have been researching adding a super charger to it.

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
"

Well....the grass always SEEMS greener. :CWL: But seriously, as others have said, you'll love it. Just got ours - our first jeep - and I freaking LOVE it. Wife loves it too. It was covered in mud by day 2....

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Well he did come to the asylum to ask advise of the inmates. That said I love mine, I do miss my Mustang GT convertible. However driving the Mustang on the beach would have been a no go.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
My advice to you is get a bright color Gladiator, Orange is supposed to come back for 2023, go order one!
^^^^^ this. Donā€™t add to the number of gray vehicles out on the road. Plus, the Jeep looks much better in brighter colors. I ended up getting the blue as I didnā€™t have an option for nacho or pumpkin.

ASHEVILLE_3D

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
3D Motion Designer
So glad I switched from a 2 door JL. Just got back from a music festival in Okeechobee, and my god I can finally carry a full proper 4 day camp setup instead of just the bare minimum in a 2 door. Definitely a game changer.

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Auto worker

I was a sports or muscle car guy most of my life too, had a beautiful mint 86' Supra and Mach 1 Mustang to name my favorites. But about 10 years ago I bought a rare 1976 Jeep Cherokee two door. That was it I was hooked, amazing considering that son of a bitch always had at least two problems going on. Anyway got a Gladiator now and wouldn't go back to cars again for anything.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Another thought, coming from a car (forester via jetta) it is nice to have a vehicle that I can be rougher with again. Our roads can be garbage and I am much less apprehensive hitting potholes and bumps with the jeep vs the old IFS cars. Then it's nice to be able to throw bricks and propane tanks and tools in the bed without worry. The factory bed liner has held up well to abuse and solid tie down points, a tailgate you can put some weight on make for surprising utility.

That tailgate issue by the way is of significance. I can stand on the gate while unloading a 275lb propane tank and be within the spec. which would not be the case with a ranger or f150. Tacoma is rated for only 400lbs apparently. (13) Gladiator tailgate can support up to 500 lbs payload in middle position | Jeep Gladiator Forum - JeepGladiatorForum.com

For all the jabs about it not being a proper truck to do work, the gladiator is actually very practical.

Sponsored

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
Houston potholes are a friend to no one...except Jeep owners! haha ;)
that was a good point you made @BearFootSam !

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I went from an F150 to a Gladiator, then back to an F150 and am now back in a Gladiator. There is something about this truck that keeps bringing me back. Iā€™m happy to say that I will have this one for a long time.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Iā€™ve owned 20 something vehicles in my time and two Gladiators recently. I got rid of them all for one reason or another but usually for something newer, shinier and a change of scenery.

I bought a 22 Texas Trail (Sport S variant) and loved it. I happened upon a 22 Overland Diesel, swapped and couldnā€™t be happier. I agree with others, ditch the Maverick.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Its horrible truck
HD ram chevy ford tows better.
Its a horrible off roader