Sponsored

Am I the first EcoDiesel starter failure?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I always like to wrap up a thread like this. I got the Jeep back and it is fixed, I hope. The ticket said that they had to repair threads to get the bolt in, so that could have been part of it. I hope they did a good job. My main complaint is that they pulled several of the little plastic pins that secure the zip ties on the wiring harnesses and hoses to holes in various places and in a brief look around, I saw three that were not put back in the holes. My view as to such things is that if they were not needed, FCA would not have gone to the trouble and expense to put them on there, so the mechanic should have reconnected each one. Oh, and another funny thing... They replaced the battery. There was a note on the ticket that it was defective. News to me.
I get rather picky about that sort of thing - and one event years ago keeps reminding me of that -
I was in the Plymouth Troubleshooting Contest in 1975 representing our school.
I aced the written test. When it came to the practical test on the real car, we did VERY well - we were way ahead - time to close the hood. Down it went - oops, won't stay down, it's on the safety. My team mate and I spent several seconds trying to figure it out. As a joke my team mate sat on the hood and told the judge we were done, ready for final judging. He laughed and shook his head. Finally I realized the striker was missing - asked the field judge for the part - we put it on and into judging we went. First team done and all was fine, it was PERFECT, nailed it except for ONE detail. The vacuum hoses for the hot air intake were held along the side of the air cleaner housing and were arranged in a specific order. We had the hoses in the clip incorrectly.
Now when I do restorations or for that matter, any repair - I pay closer attention to exactly how things are supposed to be clipped in, which wire or hose crosses over or under others and so on.
That ONE little thing is all that kept us from a perfect practical judging result and me from a totally perfect score.

As far as batteries - they are supposed to do their 250 point inspection (whatever the number is) and that includes a quick battery test. It's possible it "worked" for you, but it didn't handle a load test and may have failed in cold weather? Also - the aux batteries in these have apparently been sort of a problem for some.
My wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee ended up having both batteries replaced - I suspect the aux battery is the original culprit - but the dealer told us at the time "we've seen a lot of bad batteries lately".

Yes, those clips should be put back. Your truck likely won't break, but companies don't waste parts these days. And who knows, in the future you may need some work and they may look and wonder - who has been messing with these wires?
Sponsored

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
any other starter problems? mine is on it second and its starting to give up.
Mine has been trouble free since the issue mentioned above.
Sponsored