ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Great report Dakota kid.
I have had mine sitting out all night and for days in sub 5F temp also sub 0F temps with no issues.
I used remote start as well in those situations. No block heater. I listened to it start with a cracked window from my house, it started fine no labored sounds or anything.
I now try to use the block heater whenever I can just to have the cab warm up quicker. But overall I have had no issues, 2K miles now.
Sponsored

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Hello again all!

Now 9,000 miles into ownership of my ā€˜21 Willys eco diesel in tropical North Dakota and hereā€™s where Iā€™m at with winter/cold:

1. I park in insulated, but unheated, garage at night, do not plug in block heater (donā€™t even know if I have one).

2. I park outside all day at work from about 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM and might grab lunch and run for 15 minutes total while doing that.

3. I do put Diesel Mate additive in every tank, Year round, mostly for lubricant /Ctane booster/emulsifiers/etc. but also has significant pour point suppressant as well for winter in the overall package.

Zero issue starting/gelling and weā€™ve now had days where the ā€œhigh tempā€ was - 20 F without the windchill, so truck in parking lot at work for 10 hours fully exposed in those temps.

DEF DOES freeze at about +12F and when engine is running it takes DEF tank heater and line heater about 30 minutes max to thawā€¦and if system/codes are running correctly, the vehicle will not call for regen until sensors detect safe liquid DEF. The lovely CEL and DEF system dealer attention required -engine will not start in 200 miles fiasco comes about when system doesnā€™t work right and it calls for DEF when itā€™s not ready to be used/still frozen. Hence why replacing faulty heating element or flashing software with updated codes typically fixes issue. I know because that was my day after Christmas experience driving home in a blizzard in ND.

The Tech said I actually had snow in my air intake which tripped the system as wellā€¦. Not 100% buying that a they also noted snow packed around DEF system wiring that they ā€œ cleaned out, greased, and reconnectedā€. Sounds suspiciously like something disconnected or shorted out to me. To be fair, the techs were super helpful and I apparently have the only eco diesel this side of the state, so they get excited to get their hands on it, Iā€™ve had zero issues since then and it has gotten stupid cold out multiple times now.

Simply put, after switching out MT tires for AT Falken Wildpeak AT3Wā€™s, this thing is a winter wonderland beast!!! Starts, runs, tracks like a champ. Best all around vehicle Iā€™ve owned yet, just wish it had a little more room in the cab, otherwise a perfect 10.

Iā€™ve had 3 longtime Jeep people take it for drives as the local dealer has never even had one on the lot in 2 years so their employees wanted a crack at driving oneā€¦. All with huge grins when they got back.

Go with the diesel, know there is a chance the DEF system might have a hiccup, but itā€™s very fixable if it happens. When working as designed itā€™s pretty ingenious. Just watch the fuel for potential gelling and act accordingly, you should be solid!
This is a GREAT post!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Colorado, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Substation Technician
JL,

i would highly recommend Certified Labs Diesel-Mateā€¦and if truly brutal cold, they have Arctic version. Not something in stores, have to find a rep, but they are international and will have one for you if you contact main office in Texas via website. They only sell to business, so if you donā€™t own a small business/farm/etc. you might want to check with a buddy that does work somewhere whoā€™s be willing to order for you.

The list of perks that come with it in the real world are many, with the pour point suppressant actually down the list. It gives you a cetane boost, lubricant to fight dry fuel, it actually forces water in the fuel to bind together forming bigger droplets do you fuel filter pulls it out (unless you like rolling black smoke)ā€¦.I started using it 2nd tank of fuel in my new 2021 diesel Gladiator Willys and have gone from 19.9 mpg first tank to 22.3 last 3 tanksā€¦even in 100 degree heat. Mostly in-town driving 45mph to 25 mph with start/stopping.

https://www.diesel-mate.com/

The man who designed this for Certified Labs literally co-wrote the internationally recognized text book for diesel production for engineers, and did so because he saw the heavy toll the ā€ new ā€œ dry fuel would take on Diesel engines of all sizes and uses. There are older brands on the market, but they were designed for old fuel specs, and do not perform the same with the newer fuel.

I used to work for the company (been 7 years since did), and the second text I sent day of purchase of my Gladiator was to my old boss to see how I could get Diesel-mate, it was that good when I was there for lack of the productā€¦and I sold it in the Dakotas and Colorado in the mountains. -30 Fahrenheit without windchill is a real thing and needs to be taken into account with Diesel. The first text was to my brother who has Penstar powered Wrangler, just do heā€™d know heā€™s once again second best.

I will use it Year round as the overall package is meant to keep your engine purring, not just from gelling up. Iā€™ll take extra power and cleaner engine over ā€œrolling coalā€ any day.

Get a case of 12 x 1 quart bottles, that will be enough to cover 3,000 gallons of diesel. I believe each qt good for 250 gallons. (Remember, they wonā€™t sell a bottle at a time, they deal with large shops like construction companies, Road Departments and the Militaryā€¦).

Au Revior & De Rien šŸ˜
How many ounces do you use per tank? I may be able to get my hands on some and may start using it as well.

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
How many ounces do you use per tank? I may be able to get my hands on some and may start using it as well.
About 2.5 to 3 depending on how fricking cold itā€™s going to be. I fueled up on Monday after work and went with 3 oz to full tank (was on ā€œEā€) as the high for Tuesday and today was sun-zero without windchill. Will be -15* tonight.

Summer time closer to 2.5ish for full tankā€¦mostly for the additives not dealing with pour point suppressant.

Just remember to put in before you fill the tank so it gets mixed in and to use it in ratio ( cut in half if just filling 10 gallons for instance).

You WILL NEED the little black funnel under the rear seat, and I found a funnel with longer spout to go into that one helpful as the factory one doesnā€™t give you much angle to work with when pouring from bottle to funnel. I keep funnels and additive bottle in ( donā€™t laugh) a Tupperware container meant for loose cold cereal as it is tall and slim.

I put a folded paper towel in a gallon ziplock back so it keeps dropping from funnel contained and separated from additive bottle over time.

The overall container keeps all potential spills contained and smell to a minimum if it does.

As I donā€™t haul a lot of stuff around, I use bungee cord to keep it in place by drivers tailgate tie down for easy access when needed.

See pictures
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel in the (very) cold? image