Sponsored

EcoDiesel in the (very) cold?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I live where we had some very cold nights -10 to -20 F nights. I made it through the past 6 months of winter and did have to have my DEF pump replaced. I would plug my Jeep any night that it was going to get below 10 F , I did not have any problems with diesel gelling issues because of the winter blend (US no 2) of diesel in the pumps and I would run some Hot Shots in my fuel tank. What I did find was that the Def system has 2 heaters, one in the pump and one for the line to the engine. According to the Jeep owners manual DEF freezes at -10 F. These heaters only operate with the ignition on as to not drain the battery. So even though I was plugging in the engine, the DEF line could freeze. My assumption is that the DEF had hardened which caused damage to the DEF pump. I could be full of it and maybe I just received a faulty pump from the factory. Since the warranty repair I cleaned out a spot in my unheated garage and have parked inside at nights. I have not had any other issues and genuinally think the diesel is a much needed luxury power option. The vehicle drives better and downshifts less than my gas Jeeps with the pentastar 3.6.
Hi,
I think you might have mis-read the manual. Unfortunately, DEF freezes at about 11 or 12 degrees Fahrenheit (which is -11 degrees Celsius); so that is about 20 degrees warmer than what you presented above. Here are a couple of sources; the second one is from Cummins, and they definitely know their diesel info!

https://www.equipmentworld.com/main...eps-to-handling-def-in-the-cold-winter-months

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/MB10033.pdf
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What I did find was that the Def system has 2 heaters, one in the pump and one for the line to the engine. According to the Jeep owners manual DEF freezes at -10 F. These heaters only operate with the ignition on as to not drain the battery.
This is good information.

I had heard that this powertrain in the Ram uses DEF system heaters, so it would only make sense for the Jeep application to still have the heating elements.

We had some brutal winter weather this past season and my DEF never gave me issues.

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
Hello there, bonjour.

I live in Eastern Quebec so our winters are pretty harsh. We can reach temperatures of about -30 degrees celsius (-22 Farenheit) for weeks, sometimes.

I'm seriously considering an EcoDiesel Gladiator and am wondering how this engine deals with this kind of cold over a long period of time.

My old Jetta TD was requiring a bottle or two of gas line every now and then so the tank didn't freeze. Same goes for the EcoDiesel?

Any tips, cues?

Thanks, merci.
JL,

i would highly recommend Certified Labs Diesel-Mateā€¦and if truly brutal cold, they have Arctic version. Not something in stores, have to find a rep, but they are international and will have one for you if you contact main office in Texas via website. They only sell to business, so if you donā€™t own a small business/farm/etc. you might want to check with a buddy that does work somewhere whoā€™s be willing to order for you.

The list of perks that come with it in the real world are many, with the pour point suppressant actually down the list. It gives you a cetane boost, lubricant to fight dry fuel, it actually forces water in the fuel to bind together forming bigger droplets do you fuel filter pulls it out (unless you like rolling black smoke)ā€¦.I started using it 2nd tank of fuel in my new 2021 diesel Gladiator Willys and have gone from 19.9 mpg first tank to 22.3 last 3 tanksā€¦even in 100 degree heat. Mostly in-town driving 45mph to 25 mph with start/stopping.

https://www.diesel-mate.com/

The man who designed this for Certified Labs literally co-wrote the internationally recognized text book for diesel production for engineers, and did so because he saw the heavy toll the ā€ new ā€œ dry fuel would take on Diesel engines of all sizes and uses. There are older brands on the market, but they were designed for old fuel specs, and do not perform the same with the newer fuel.

I used to work for the company (been 7 years since did), and the second text I sent day of purchase of my Gladiator was to my old boss to see how I could get Diesel-mate, it was that good when I was there for lack of the productā€¦and I sold it in the Dakotas and Colorado in the mountains. -30 Fahrenheit without windchill is a real thing and needs to be taken into account with Diesel. The first text was to my brother who has Penstar powered Wrangler, just do heā€™d know heā€™s once again second best.

I will use it Year round as the overall package is meant to keep your engine purring, not just from gelling up. Iā€™ll take extra power and cleaner engine over ā€œrolling coalā€ any day.

Get a case of 12 x 1 quart bottles, that will be enough to cover 3,000 gallons of diesel. I believe each qt good for 250 gallons. (Remember, they wonā€™t sell a bottle at a time, they deal with large shops like construction companies, Road Departments and the Militaryā€¦).

Au Revior & De Rien šŸ˜

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Just run diesel Kleen and or diesel 911 when necessary.

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, Hydro Blue Pearl
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
It comes with a block heater from the factory. Just need the ~$15 plug and youā€™re all set.

Some have said an additive to the diesel may be necessary in extreme cold, but I canā€™t comment on that.
I had no issues starting/operating at 0 degrees F with no plug and no additive.
The newest EcoDiesels do NOT come with the block heater installed. Found that out on mine, I made the same assumption(I ordered this past August). One of the other members stated they may have removed that as a default from the build line, should you order, you need to add that into your build.

Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Block heater, power service white bottle at -26 coldest day so far, zero issues. I just let it ie 5-7 mins to get the oil up to a decent temp and let the def heater warmed up. Again no issues so far this winter. I also keep my def tank full, more fluid to freeze when its cold

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The newest EcoDiesels do NOT come with the block heater installed. Found that out on mine, I made the same assumption(I ordered this past August). One of the other members stated they may have removed that as a default from the build line, should you order, you need to add that into your build.
Did you lookbehind the fender liner on the passenger side and see if you have a red plug on the side of the motor?

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, Hydro Blue Pearl
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Yes. I'll link my own question thread below. The first picture shows where the red plug should go and it is not there.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ecodiesel-block-heater-plug.50813/
Fudge!!!!!! I was hoping you was looking in the wrong place. When I was thinking about buying the diesel. I built one on line. The block heater was an option. Go back a week later and it was gone from the build site. I ask the dealer and he said that it should have the heater. Just need to buy the cord.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Fudge!!!!!! I was hoping you was looking in the wrong place. When I was thinking about buying the diesel. I built one on line. The block heater was an option. Go back a week later and it was gone from the build site. I ask the dealer and he said that it should have the heater. Just need to buy the cord.
If it's any comfort it was -6 last weekend and the ecodiesel was parked outside. Started with no issues. I only had a bottle of diesel Heet in the tank just in case the day before.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
My current ZR2 Diesel doesn't like when it is below -30C. Like no start kinda thing, barely turns over at -35C. I've had DEF heater problems this winter also. Seems that these are just the things to expect with new Diesels from all of the trucks running them according to the various owners of various brands I've spoken with. I am looking forward to my 2nd Gladiator arriving, this time a Mojave :)

Tart_Cart

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 STI, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Travel HCW
Man Im really kicking myself for not ordering mine with the block heater. My current assignment for work is in Minnesota and woke up today to a balmy -14f. Hopefully she handles the cold like a trooper, but we will see.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Man Im really kicking myself for not ordering mine with the block heater. My current assignment for work is in Minnesota and woke up today to a balmy -14f. Hopefully she handles the cold like a trooper, but we will see.
Do record what it looks like. At 9F it didnā€™t feel any different than 30F

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
Hello again all!

Now 9,000 miles into ownership of my ā€˜21 Willys eco diesel in tropical North Dakota and hereā€™s where Iā€™m at with winter/cold:

1. I park in insulated, but unheated, garage at night, do not plug in block heater (donā€™t even know if I have one).

2. I park outside all day at work from about 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM and might grab lunch and run for 15 minutes total while doing that.

3. I do put Diesel Mate additive in every tank, Year round, mostly for lubricant /Ctane booster/emulsifiers/etc. but also has significant pour point suppressant as well for winter in the overall package.

Zero issue starting/gelling and weā€™ve now had days where the ā€œhigh tempā€ was - 20 F without the windchill, so truck in parking lot at work for 10 hours fully exposed in those temps.

DEF DOES freeze at about +12F and when engine is running it takes DEF tank heater and line heater about 30 minutes max to thawā€¦and if system/codes are running correctly, the vehicle will not call for regen until sensors detect safe liquid DEF. The lovely CEL and DEF system dealer attention required -engine will not start in 200 miles fiasco comes about when system doesnā€™t work right and it calls for DEF when itā€™s not ready to be used/still frozen. Hence why replacing faulty heating element or flashing software with updated codes typically fixes issue. I know because that was my day after Christmas experience driving home in a blizzard in ND.

The Tech said I actually had snow in my air intake which tripped the system as wellā€¦. Not 100% buying that a they also noted snow packed around DEF system wiring that they ā€œ cleaned out, greased, and reconnectedā€. Sounds suspiciously like something disconnected or shorted out to me. To be fair, the techs were super helpful and I apparently have the only eco diesel this side of the state, so they get excited to get their hands on it, Iā€™ve had zero issues since then and it has gotten stupid cold out multiple times now.

Simply put, after switching out MT tires for AT Falken Wildpeak AT3Wā€™s, this thing is a winter wonderland beast!!! Starts, runs, tracks like a champ. Best all around vehicle Iā€™ve owned yet, just wish it had a little more room in the cab, otherwise a perfect 10.

Iā€™ve had 3 longtime Jeep people take it for drives as the local dealer has never even had one on the lot in 2 years so their employees wanted a crack at driving oneā€¦. All with huge grins when they got back.

Go with the diesel, know there is a chance the DEF system might have a hiccup, but itā€™s very fixable if it happens. When working as designed itā€™s pretty ingenious. Just watch the fuel for potential gelling and act accordingly, you should be solid!
Sponsored