OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I disagree with the level rake advice. Like EugeneTheJeep said, focus on the front wheel measurement. Your rear is going to squat some. Hopefully not more than 1-2", but that is a big trailer for a gladiator. Not much you can do about that. What matters is you restore weight to the front axle so your steering isn't light. Measure the fender height on the front when the truck is unhooked from the trailer. When you hook up the trailer, you want the WDH applying enough pressure to bring the front back down to the same unloaded measurement.

You hitch looks like an E2 fastway. Do you know what pound rating the bars are? You may have trouble getting enough weight distribution with that hitch and a trailer that big. I had an E2 hitch with 1000lb bars, and I just recently scrapped it in favor of a blue ox sway pro with 1500 lb bars. I was never a fan of my E2. The setup is a pain in the rear, like you are finding out. Also the noise drove me nuts. I like the Blue Ox a lot better. No noise, and setup is dead simple. If you need more weight distribution you just take up another chain length.

I have the 1000LBS bars on this one.
Sponsored

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Thanks for the help on this everybody. Between the manual and the guidance here I think I got it dialed in just right. It really is just a game of trial and error.

My measurements from top of the tire to a spot I marked on the fender right where the first crease is where the upper and lower meet. stock AT tires.

before with no load
Rear 10.2in
Front 10in

With adjusted WDH load
Rear 9.2in
Front 10.2in

It looks like based on everything these measurements are near perfect based on everything here. Rake is gone, I actually put a level on the bed of the truck and it was just about perfectly level. Tongue of the trailer was level with a slight upward grade towards the back.

Would I be correct in assuming I am at just about best case senario here? I left the spacer washers at the default of like 5 or 6.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Would I be correct in assuming I am at just about best case senario here? I left the spacer washers at the default of like 5 or 6
I'd say so, especially given you've already done a few attempts.

Are you running a brake controller?

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I'd say so, especially given you've already done a few attempts.

Are you running a brake controller?
Yep. Installed a redarc about a month or so ago before I even started looking. worked good for the trip home with it.

Kypster

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Driver
I know this is an older thread but I just want to thank you for all the info. I'm in just about the exact same situation. I had the dealer install the hitch and they did nothing with the weight distribution. I'll have to do some fine tuning myself.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an older thread but I just want to thank you for all the info. I'm in just about the exact same situation. I had the dealer install the hitch and they did nothing with the weight distribution. I'll have to do some fine tuning myself.
same for me..not exactly what I wanted to don
Sponsored