Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
No, not these.
Yep...these are definitely not for harsh off-road use. The bottoms of the steps are just aluminum. They'll be fine for regular use but would dent/crush pretty easily if sliding over rocks. Since I don't plan to take my Jeep into severe conditions, they should be fine for me. If not, I purchased 4WP's "No Questions Asked" warranty which will replace them if I incur any damage for any reason - three years. I figured this was good enough for my needs.

If you want a more severe use step, I would recommend the RSE steps...they seem much more heavy duty but have a smaller step (~2-3" wide vs. >6" on the Amp). Just depends on what you need.

Ironically, since price was similar (Amp vs. RSE), I went with the Amp's because they were "easier to install"...not sure how true this is as I don't have any experience with the RSE's. If the RSE's are more difficult, they must be a bear!
Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Yep...these are definitely not for harsh off-road use. The bottoms of the steps are just aluminum. They'll be fine for regular use but would dent/crush pretty easily if sliding over rocks. Since I don't plan to take my Jeep into severe conditions, they should be fine for me. If not, I purchased 4WP's "No Questions Asked" warranty which will replace them if I incur any damage for any reason - three years. I figured this was good enough for my needs.

If you want a more severe use step, I would recommend the RSE steps...they seem much more heavy duty but have a smaller step (~2-3" wide vs. >6" on the Amp). Just depends on what you need.

Ironically, since price was similar (Amp vs. RSE), I went with the Amp's because they were "easier to install"...not sure how true this is as I don't have any experience with the RSE's. If the RSE's are more difficult, they must be a bear!
You are correct, it depends on what you need them for. I've had AMPs on a Wrangler and the RSE on the JT. I installed them both myself and the RSE were easier but heavier. If you get the RSEs, I would suggest you don't need the added protection piece they sell. Mine without it are great! The AMPs were nicer steps but I went through a couple of motors with them.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
You are correct, it depends on what you need them for. I've had AMPs on a Wrangler and the RSE on the JT. I installed them both myself and the RSE were easier but heavier. If you get the RSEs, I would suggest you don't need the added protection piece they sell. Mine without it are great! The AMPs were nicer steps but I went through a couple of motors with them.
Good to know on the motors...thanks for the tip. So far (~3 months) they seem fine :)...

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Good to know on the motors...thanks for the tip. So far (~3 months) they seem fine :)...
Seemed like it was large buildup of snow/ice when I had issues with mine later in the winter in Iowa. Customer Service was pretty good about getting the replacements out.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Agreed! I attempted to provide feedback regarding the need for more harness length and was met with a very lackadaisical attitude. The Amp Rep responded with something along the lines of "...that's how the engineers designed it so it must be good enough". Not sure any of those engineers actually installed the steps in their garage on an actual Gladiator. :headbang:

In spite of all these issues, now that the steps are installed, I really like them. They are working well and make it much easier to get in and out of the Jeep...my wife really appreciates them.

Good luck if you choose to go with these...
I read that, insane they don't care what the end user has to say especially given the price.

Unfortunately, they are the most usable step for my purposes IMO and will likely be the ones I go with. I don't care for how the RSE steps look when they come down, thinner than a landing skid lol.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I read that, insane they don't care what the end user has to say especially given the price.

Unfortunately, they are the most usable step for my purposes IMO and will likely be the ones I go with. I don't care for how the RSE steps look when they come down, thinner than a landing skid lol.
I was concerned with the narrow step too, but once i got them installed, I was pleasantly surprised. My foot feels very stable.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition

I do know who said the AMP are an easier install, but I want what they are smoking...

I originally had the AMP XL installed by a pretty locally respected shop. I have written about it on here before, but long story short- they bricked my truck for a couple weeks, while a Jeep electrician had to go through the entire electrical system. Very complicated process.

I have the RSE now, and it was an easy afternoon project. The wiring is all self-contained. They are much heavier, but I managed to get them on myself. Probably should have been a two-man lift though. Other than that, very straightforward.

JDSUD

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
finance
has anyone installed on a 21? instructions say violet yellow wire should be on white connector, the only place I find it is on black connector where it is supposed to be for a 2020 year? I'm thinking it probably has more to do w build date but would feel a lot better if someone else has installed on a 21 with purple violet wire on black connector

MichiganMojave

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
Just had these installed on my 21 JTM. The steps are working fine but there’s an issue with the drivers side taillight. The light and the blind spot sensor don’t work and it’s throwing a couple of codes related to this. Does anyone know if the wiring harness/loom you have to tap into carries power and connectivity to the drivers side tail light? I need to take it back to the installer but wanted to do a little research first.

Jasonzj980

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
My dealer is saying I need the $140 override switch, it seems as if folks are just installing the $40 switch?
I have had no issues with the $40 switch, so not sure what is needed in the $140 version.
Sponsored