Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, that "off the web" stuff quoted above is full of errors and self contradictions, which I won't bother to itemize. I can see reason to have both yellow and white, and am considering keeping the yellow fogs with the low beams and adding supplemental white driving/wide cornering lights for use with the high beams.
I want to know SOURCES of such things. Who is saying that, based off of what studies and so on.
Too many light vendor sites have mixed messages. There's few web sites I trust on the topic.
I found a ton of information while doing research for the LED lighting I installed in my shop. Ended up with more usable light in the shop with half the "luminosity" and a fraction of the wattage of the sodium lights I had.
Comparing LED to halogen to whatever is also tricky as some light is far more directional than others. One "bulb" may have 10,000 lumens, but the light is wasted and random while another with only 7,000 is better suited for a specific task because it's all going in the right direction, not because of reflectors and lenses.
Found that while converting a couple of my cars to LED lighting - watch how the individual LEDs are arranged in the "bulb". It sure matters.

Since I have lived in the places and areas I have lived in, I've been through fog as thick as peanut butter and snow so bad you couldn't see a bright red post 20 feet in front of you for over 50 years. I've lived in a low-lying area not far from a river for over 20 years, and have had numerous vehicles with clear/white, amber and selective yellow. I've been able to do direct comparisons my stock clear LED fogs to the DiodeDynamics selective yellow - and when you switch on those DD fogs and your wife makes a comment "those things really help"........ you are onto something.
It may be my eyes, how I personally perceive light, whatever, but I'll never go back to stock white fogs again. In fact, I'm going to try to save up for a set for my wife's JLU.
Sponsored