An introduction to RSi.

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
@SmartCap - For me, this is an example of what makes the whole situation über frustrating. Communication and proper expectation setting -- or lack thereof. Not having the cap is a bummer and can be (mostly) understood in light of supply chains. But the lack of good, proper and consistent communication and expectations along your distribution chain is what tips it off the edge.

With regards to the timelines you were given originally, when they were quoted, we were working with the information we had at the time, and that is what we communicated to the dealers that sell our products.
This would indicate that, even if it changed/slipped, there was a time you felt you could quote a general timeline.

Even products sold through our website are transacted and fulfilled by our distributor. Because of this, we are not privy to information regarding individual customer orders, and therefore it is not possible for us to tell you (or anyone else) which shipment their specific order would be on.
This statement appears to me to contradict your previous statement. In the first, you were comfortable supplying timelines. In the second, you can't state which shipment an order would be on (no timeline).

Your dealer will be the best point of contact to get information on the delivery date of your specific order.
And this is where I feel you have work to do on your vendor/channel/distributor relationship. At this point the dealer is speaking with the distributor (assuming this is KeyStone and not an additional layer). The distributor is telling the dealer they are unable to get information from RSI. Whether true or not, RSI is being put in a poor light as RSI says the dealer will have information. The dealer seeks information from channel and is being told that RSI is the problem. It feels that no one wants to own the issue.

Similarly, if there is a single US distributor, you must be privy to their sales volumes/orders. Likewise, you would know the type and quantity of product shipped and port arrival. Thus, while you may not be able to track a specific customer order, you should be able to determine and have handy reports based on sales vs shipments, your product backlog, aging, etc. (If it were my business, I'd want this information.)

Finally, while individual customers orders may not be on your radar, when an order has been open for 8-months, I would expect a brand to respond to direct contact via their website contact form, not just public forum posts. I might also expect that in order to help maintain the brand image, some effort might be spent trying to determine what happened, work to restore faith, and develop plans for how to handle such situations should they occur again (hopefully not, but...).

Granted, my experience may be the outlier and exception. I do feel that it may be given others positive experiences and hope that is the case. Please understand my intent is not to bash RSI, rather to point out some areas that I feel could be improved to address the experience of customers who are waiting for product and minimizing any brand denigration.

Thanks much and best!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
@SmartCap - For me, this is an example of what makes the whole situation über frustrating. Communication and proper expectation setting -- or lack thereof. Not having the cap is a bummer and can be (mostly) understood in light of supply chains. But the lack of good, proper and consistent communication and expectations along your distribution chain is what tips it off the edge.

This would indicate that, even if it changed/slipped, there was a time you felt you could quote a general timeline.

This statement appears to me to contradict your previous statement. In the first, you were comfortable supplying timelines. In the second, you can't state which shipment an order would be on (no timeline).

And this is where I feel you have work to do on your vendor/channel/distributor relationship. At this point the dealer is speaking with the distributor (assuming this is KeyStone and not an additional layer). The distributor is telling the dealer they are unable to get information from RSI. Whether true or not, RSI is being put in a poor light as RSI says the dealer will have information. The dealer seeks information from channel and is being told that RSI is the problem. It feels that no one wants to own the issue.

Similarly, if there is a single US distributor, you must be privy to their sales volumes/orders. Likewise, you would know the type and quantity of product shipped and port arrival. Thus, while you may not be able to track a specific customer order, you should be able to determine and have handy reports based on sales vs shipments, your product backlog, aging, etc. (If it were my business, I'd want this information.)

Finally, while individual customers orders may not be on your radar, when an order has been open for 8-months, I would expect a brand to respond to direct contact via their website contact form, not just public forum posts. I might also expect that in order to help maintain the brand image, some effort might be spent trying to determine what happened, work to restore faith, and develop plans for how to handle such situations should they occur again (hopefully not, but...).

Granted, my experience may be the outlier and exception. I do feel that it may be given others positive experiences and hope that is the case. Please understand my intent is not to bash RSI, rather to point out some areas that I feel could be improved to address the experience of customers who are waiting for product and minimizing any brand denigration.

Thanks much and best!
Thanks again for your thoughtful response and suggestions on how we can improve our processes. We take to heart input such as yours, and are working to be the best stewards possible for our brand.
With regards to some of the issues you bring up, please know that we are working within the constraints of a system that, although not perfect, has proven invaluable at bringing an industry-changing new product, halfway around the world and launching it in some of the most uncertain times.
We are extremely sorry that you are having to wait so long for your SmartCap, and we hope that when it does arrive, it will have been worth the wait.
Thanks again for your patience and understanding, and helping us work to improve.

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
Hey @SmartCap -- I see you are telling some folks here that a late December 2021 order will get them a cap in April of 2022. That's neat. Only 4-months! How about those of us that ordered from resellers found on your website as official resellers (turns out supplied by Keystone Automotive and not RSI directly) and haven't seen a cap that was ordered and paid for in full in late July/early August of 2021? I was originally told it was in the Sept/Oct 2021 shipment. Then it was late November. Then it was in port and needed to clear customs and would surely have it by EOY 2021. Well, it's mid-March 2022 and no Smartcap Evo Sport. Seven and a half months. And, since November, I can't get an update and everyone up the chain is pointing at you. What say you?

Don't get me wrong. I think you guys have a great product and appear to have provided some great service to some customers. But from my perspective, going on an 8-month wait after multiple missed promises, I'm frustrated, annoyed and out $3700 for vapor-ware.

Maybe it's you, maybe it's your vendor network (or at least a sub-set of it). In either case, you've got a serious issue with delivery, communication and proper expectation setting.
There is definitely something messed up in the supply chain and distribution priority once products hit the US. In my case, I was fortunate. I stopped by my local dealer (listed on the RSI website) in late August 2021 right after I ordered my JTR from Gupton assuming it would be a several month wait for an EVO Sport. When my dealer checked, he said it was in stock and could have it within a week. I immediately put money down fully expecting to find out it was really backordered. Instead my SmartCap was actually delivered, and the dealer held it for me at their shop until my JTR was delivered in early October. I didn't intend to or try to jump the line. I simply asked if I could get one and did. I believe mine was the first one my dealer sold for the Gladiator and one of the first few they sold for any truck, and it was clear they weren't some sort of "insider" for getting one. They just looked it up in their system and placed the order while I was standing there.

I still haven't seen a @SmartCap in person on another Gladiator, and I have only seen one other on a Tundra.

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
@SmartCap -- As stated previously, I've tried to take this conversation offline via the contact form on your website but didn't get a reply there so am continuing here.

I finally decided to contact Keystone Automotive directly.

And I quote, "Your RSI part# EV0600MB has been on backorder since 8/19/2021 with no ETA."

How is it you were unable to communicate this to me? Why am I, as a customer who ordered BEFORE 8/19/2021 still without a canopy and neither you nor your sole US distributer have been able to effectively communicate to the channel and customers and set proper expectations? And how in all that is holy are others ordering and receiving caps in the interim?

Keystone was also unwilling to address how others are able to order and receive caps since 8/19/2021 and suggested, "procure the part from one of the locations others across the US have been able to obtain the said part from successfully." [sic]

When I asked how that could happen or be possible given that Keystone is the SOLE US distributer they refused to answer and told me to deal with my local vendor.

Well, I'm done. I've gotten great support locally, from the US distributor and from the original manufacturer. And went from order to install in less that a week. So long RSI.

Jeep Gladiator An introduction to RSi. IMG_5730

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
@SmartCap -- As stated previously, I've tried to take this conversation offline via the contact form on your website but didn't get a reply there so am continuing here.

I finally decided to contact Keystone Automotive directly.

And I quote, "Your RSI part# EV0600MB has been on backorder since 8/19/2021 with no ETA."

How is it you were unable to communicate this to me? Why am I, as a customer who ordered BEFORE 8/19/2021 still without a canopy and neither you nor your sole US distributer have been able to effectively communicate to the channel and customers and set proper expectations? And how in all that is holy are others ordering and receiving caps in the interim?

Keystone was also unwilling to address how others are able to order and receive caps since 8/19/2021 and suggested, "procure the part from one of the locations others across the US have been able to obtain the said part from successfully." [sic]

When I asked how that could happen or be possible given that Keystone is the SOLE US distributer they refused to answer and told me to deal with my local vendor.

Well, I'm done. I've gotten great support locally, from the US distributor and from the original manufacturer. And went from order to install in less that a week. So long RSI.

Jeep Gladiator An introduction to RSi. IMG_5730
We are obviously saddened that the situation has worked out as it has for you. We take our customer service extremely seriously and respond to every customer contact we receive and do so in a very responsive fashion. We also take the production of our product very seriously and have been doing everything in our power to produce caps as efficiently as we can to fulfill orders. As we have mentioned to you, we are not privy to our dealers' orders with our distributor and thus have not had a way to confirm the order was placed by the dealer and where things were sitting at the point of which you cancelled it. We wish you the best of luck in going the route you have chosen, and hope that once our Ft. Worth Facility is online, and lead times are reduced significantly, we’ll have another opportunity to earn you business.

Sponsored

cj8scrambler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR MT Sarge Green
and hope that once our Ft. Worth Facility is online, and lead times are reduced significantly
Any updates on this? Are you expecting the Ft. Worth facility to be online in weeks? Months? Years?

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Any updates on this? Are you expecting the Ft. Worth facility to be online in weeks? Months? Years?
We are working around the clock on building out the facility now. We don't have a firm date for when production will commence, but we expect it to be sometime this summer.

905_gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
My cap came in HELL yes.

Busy with work for the next few weeks but getting it installed on the 23rd cant wait. Ordered back in Dec.

jonsheritahe04

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2018 F250 Super Duty
Occupation
IT Support
Love the look of the topper but uncertainty on delivery has keeper me from pulling the trigger. Why be disappointed based on current conditions and as noted there are other options to look at and possibly go another direction. Basically the supply chain challenges RSI are having curbed my normal slap the money down style. And to be honest the challenges RSI has in delivering their product is just that, their problem. Potential clients will not wait if there are other solutions in the marketplace and if the other solutions offer similar features, are known for quality, are in about the same price point, and are available. Not a bash on RSI but this is simple business you can either deliver when there is a good/hot market for a product or someone else will come along and do it for you.

Sponsored

Brekka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I'm about to give up. At this point I've paid in full and waited months for nothing. Place I ordered it from has stopped replying to my emails, which were once monthly ETA checkins.

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to give up. At this point I've paid in full and waited months for nothing. Place I ordered it from has stopped replying to my emails, which were once monthly ETA checkins.
Thanks for letting us know. We'll send you a Direct Message to see if there is any way we can assist.

ColoradoKH

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High altitude
Occupation
GM
How long have you been waiting? I ordered in early Dec 2021 and still waiting, ordered from Off-road Alliance, they answer emails but don’t really have any good info on an ETA. I was originally told Feb, so we are well beyond that!

Brekka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon
How long have you been waiting? I ordered in early Dec 2021 and still waiting, ordered from Off-road Alliance, they answer emails but don’t really have any good info on an ETA. I was originally told Feb, so we are well beyond that!
Mainline Overland. They finally responded late yesterday after my post saying they have no idea.
Sponsored