First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Retired USAF Police Officer
We got any preppers? (NO POLITICS, I know) I don't want to talk about my dislike for any particular president current, past or future. I'd love to hear what people have done to help prep their vehicles or plan on using the JT in that regard. Nor do I want to start this is how I overland thread.

Like for me, I purposely pursued Jeeps that DIDN'T have the biggest and most advanced radio because I didn't want the remote kill ability in my jeep. I didn't want it to be trackable.

What have you done? I'd really love to EMP proof it, but I'm not even sure that's possible at this point....
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a full tilt, prepper. I just always try to be ready in case. Your probably right on EMP proofing any late model vehicle. Most of my add on's are in one or other threads here. My contingency vehicle is JT, then LJ on down line to even include my Mtn bike lastly my LPC's. If I'm at home that's where I'll be probably staying. A decent amount of food and should be able to have water, shelter and heat for good amount of time. I'm probably going to be sick and tired of chili, rice, tuna, ham and beans and few more things. Now that is depending on what goes down, if I have to leave there long term I'm SOL to old and worn down, but not just going to roll over n die.

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
I'm not a full tilt, prepper. I just always try to be ready in case. Your probably right on EMP proofing any late model vehicle. Most of my add on's are in one or other threads here. My contingency vehicle is JT, then LJ on down line to even include my Mtn bike lastly my LPC's. If I'm at home that's where I'll be probably staying. A decent amount of food and should be able to have water, shelter and heat for good amount of time. I'm probably going to be sick and tired of chili, rice, tuna, ham and beans and few more things. Now that is depending on what goes down, if I have to leave there long term I'm SOL to old and worn down, but not just going to roll over n die.
Agreed, I have finally moved out to where my bugout city has been for a long time. I'm still waiting to build my house. RIght now, I'm in town and pathetically dependent on Natural gas and electricity. I do have a RV with Generator but that won't be great come winter. Still takes too much propane to heat in the winter. And it's going to be a constant hunt for gasoline. Good thing I live near a refinery

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on what might happen. In some cases it's game over where I live. In other possibilities it would be rough, heating I'm propane or electric, cooking propane and alternatively gasoline/ Coleman fuel. Actually I could probably be cooking with Jet-Boil for about a year with as much fuel canisters I bought in past years when was cheap to buy. :like: otherwise I've got 2 of the D.F. heaters one I setup last year, I ran it a few hours to make sure it works.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
In the desert limited ability to grow food in the heat or cold means no one will likely live long enough anyways if it really hits the fan. Otherwise, water, food, basic needs and making sure fuel is always in the car. I try to keep a basic “oh crap” bag in the car and so forth.

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Did anybody order/hunt for their vehicles with SHTF in the back of your mind? Obviously a die hard would have bought an 80's CUCV or similar, but with Covid lockdowns being a thing and reports of 3 letter agencies using cell phone data to track how well lockdowns were obeyed, has anyone specifically looked for a lower optioned UConnect vehicle? Anything that has the ability to talk to the web has the ability to be tracked.

Bluefalcon

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed Officer
Did anybody order/hunt for their vehicles with SHTF in the back of your mind? Obviously a die hard would have bought an 80's CUCV or similar, but with Covid lockdowns being a thing and reports of 3 letter agencies using cell phone data to track how well lockdowns were obeyed, has anyone specifically looked for a lower optioned UConnect vehicle? Anything that has the ability to talk to the web has the ability to be tracked.

Would have preferred the CUCV... that diesel was something else! Didnt like getting my Happy A$$ out and locking the front hubs but hey... thats why they lasted 30+ years or more.

SHTF is always part of my decision making process.... but not primary.

I moved 2 and a half hours from the big city (not far enough) and commute 95 miles one way to work... but worth it! I use my 2012 Escape 3 weeks a month for work... 225k miles and will drive it til the wheels fall off. It was paid off in 2015 so ive had zero maint issues and free driving for 8 years. 1 week with the Gladi to work and school drop off for the little one.

I call myself a half a$$ prepper.. food some ammo water well but no moats or bunkers. Living 45 minutes from the grocery store you HAVE to store foodstuffs.

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Would have preferred the CUCV... that diesel was something else! Didnt like getting my Happy A$$ out and locking the front hubs but hey... thats why they lasted 30+ years or more.

SHTF is always part of my decision making process.... but not primary.

I moved 2 and a half hours from the big city (not far enough) and commute 95 miles one way to work... but worth it! I use my 2012 Escape 3 weeks a month for work... 225k miles and will drive it til the wheels fall off. It was paid off in 2015 so ive had zero maint issues and free driving for 8 years. 1 week with the Gladi to work and school drop off for the little one.

I call myself a half a$$ prepper.. food some ammo water well but no moats or bunkers. Living 45 minutes from the grocery store you HAVE to store foodstuffs.
I guess I'd say I'm a wanna be prepper lol. I've finally got basement space to start a food storage program and I'm far enough away from big cities, but I am in the middle of a small city. I don't have very far to go, so a get home bag isn't needed. I'm a mile from home to work.
Since this is a vehicle forum, I'll focus my question on the JT:

Here in PA, we deal with snow, ice and spring flooding and occasionally washed out roads, so I'm thinking the easier, more immediate, practicals are: lockers/lsd's, a snorkel of some kind, comms, (have GMRS already but CB still exists around here), recovery gear (more than just a snatch strap),
As far as bugging out, I don't believe I'm going to need to but I do want the ability to if needed.
But I'd like to find ways to protect or "harden" the JT. I wonder exactly what is needed to protect components and which components need protected in order to do keep the truck running in an EMP event.

Sponsored

Bluefalcon

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed Officer
I guess I'd say I'm a wanna be prepper lol. I've finally got basement space to start a food storage program and I'm far enough away from big cities, but I am in the middle of a small city. I don't have very far to go, so a get home bag isn't needed. I'm a mile from home to work.
Since this is a vehicle forum, I'll focus my question on the JT:

Here in PA, we deal with snow, ice and spring flooding and occasionally washed out roads, so I'm thinking the easier, more immediate, practicals are: lockers/lsd's, a snorkel of some kind, comms, (have GMRS already but CB still exists around here), recovery gear (more than just a snatch strap),
As far as bugging out, I don't believe I'm going to need to but I do want the ability to if needed.
But I'd like to find ways to protect or "harden" the JT. I wonder exactly what is needed to protect components and which components need protected in order to do keep the truck running in an EMP event.

Depending on the severity of the event... CMEs can pop a circuit or completely burn all electrical circuits and wiring.

The only thing you can do is keep a spare of the entire electrial system wiring, chips, and PCM in a Farraday cage. Even then it is uncertain because you would probably need a working computer to flash/update said PCM. Cheaper and easier to get that CUCV and store it. 😂

Ive seen the advertisements for the EMP protector you add to the vehicle not sure if it actually works. It certainly wouldnt if the harness catches fire or melts.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Live in small town where everyone knows everyone. I've got about 6 months plus of supplies for bugging in. CME......don't think any new vehicle will take the hit.

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Depending on the severity of the event... CMEs can pop a circuit or completely burn all electrical circuits and wiring.

The only thing you can do is keep a spare of the entire electrical system wiring, chips, and PCM in a Faraday cage. Even then it is uncertain because you would probably need a working computer to flash/update said PCM. Cheaper and easier to get that CUCV and store it. 😂

Ive seen the advertisements for the EMP protector you add to the vehicle not sure if it actually works. It certainly wouldn't if the harness catches fire or melts.
Very true. Being in NW PA I don't think we'll get hit directly overhead nearby. I'm centered between Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh all about 2-3 hours from me so I don't think i'll see a burned harness. I'm going to look into the emp protector. Maybe I'll line the garage with chicken wire and ground it LOL.
CME......don't think any new vehicle will take the hit.
You're probably right, I've got a 98 XJ that is more likely to survive. I've got to look into protecting it too

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Anything with points and a condenser will most likely survive or a old diesel with a mechanical fuel pump.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
In the desert limited ability to grow food in the heat or cold means no one will likely live long enough anyways if it really hits the fan. Otherwise, water, food, basic needs and making sure fuel is always in the car. I try to keep a basic “oh crap” bag in the car and so forth.
My small chunk of land isn't capable of growing really anything ether. I might be able to raise chickens, but higher maintenance if I was to start chickens even. The land I have is in "rocky gap" so that explains why I can't even really grow anything. I tried raised beds over a few years. The farmers down wind of my place using certain products on cotton and whatever they grow kills about every thing else.
Sponsored