Sponsored

Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission?

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
My dealership told me in December they couldn't sell the manual Jeeps they had on the lot due to an unresolved recall. They had several.

Maybe just an upsell? I don't know.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Another reason for me to switch to an AT JTR.
Coming from two 6MT Tacos before the JT, the 8AT is just insanely good with factory 4.10 gears. Very smooth and good ratio split. It was my first AT truck in years and the only time I had a hint of regret was the lack of engine braking while towing steep grades... catch-22, it was more than the MT was rated to tow anyway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from two 6MT Tacos before the JT, the 8AT is just insanely good with factory 4.10 gears. Very smooth and good ratio split. It was my first AT truck in years and the only time I had a hint of regret was the lack of engine braking while towing steep grades... catch-22, it was more than the MT was rated to tow anyway.
If I'm headed down a hill, I can give the brake pedal a good firm push and release - if I feel the brakes kick in, it will drop 1 or 2 gears and apply engine braking. If I'm on the 45 mph limit and start down those hills by Pleasant Hill and it gains speed, a good brake push and release and it will kick down and hold my speed at roughly 45 - otherwise it would coast up to 50 or more at times.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If I'm headed down a hill, I can give the brake pedal a good firm push and release - if I feel the brakes kick in, it will drop 1 or 2 gears and apply engine braking. If I'm on the 45 mph limit and start down those hills by Pleasant Hill and it gains speed, a good brake push and release and it will kick down and hold my speed at roughly 45 - otherwise it would coast up to 50 or more at times.
Yeah it was still manageable, just not as brain dead as putting it in 3rd or 4th and the slippage requires a lot more RPM to achieve the same effect.

Only time it really bothered me was towing 6k through Payson into Phoenix. Those grades don't mess around.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
That is what partially informed my decision to go to an AT from the MT, plus my age. Nearly everyone on here has good things to say about the JT's AT, not so with the Tacomas as you probably know. I think the Aisin MT is a good transmission, but Jeep's decision to go with that dual disk clutch was a mistake that they are paying literally for now. The remedy in the recall is not to go with a single disk clutch, so they have learned no lesson. I can imagine some highly placed engineer, perhaps near my age, being stubborn about the dual disk system, and cooler and smarter heads are not prevailing at Jeep. I'm a geologist and use my JTR in the field, and from that experience I can say that there is nothing out there to compare. I've rented many SUV's and 4X4 pick-ups for fieldwork over the years, and the JTR works the best for me.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
That is what partially informed my decision to go to an AT from the MT, plus my age. Nearly everyone on here has good things to say about the JT's AT, not so with the Tacomas as you probably know. I think the Aisin MT is a good transmission, but Jeep's decision to go with that dual disk clutch was a mistake that they are paying literally for now. The remedy in the recall is not to go with a single disk clutch, so they have learned no lesson. I can imagine some highly placed engineer, perhaps near my age, being stubborn about the dual disk system, and cooler and smarter heads are not prevailing at Jeep. I'm a geologist and use my JTR in the field, and from that experience I can say that there is nothing out there to compare. I've rented many SUV's and 4X4 pick-ups for fieldwork over the years, and the JTR works the best for me.
The funny thing is that everyone wants to blame the Taco AT but the 3.90 axles were too tall for the double OD design and after swapping third members from a wrecked MT into an AT, the 4.30 gears totally woke it up. It has an even deeper OD than the JT so I know some guys were running 5.29s even on 33s. Truck still cruised under 2500.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Oh well my clutch finally went out last year and thankfully it was on recall. New clutch is different. Acts a bit more clunky. Reminds me of my old motorcycle.
How many miles?

starrskream

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
I can’t speak to the reliability of it on the JT.
I can say having started driving on a f100 with 3 speed on the column and a manual clutch, driven race cars with manuals and daily driver cars and trucks with manuals…

heavy traffic will suck in a manual, off roading you will stall, a lot. They are fun no doubt, and I oft n miss driving a manual. Then I remember what a pita they were at times. Personally I’d only buy one in a sports car anymore.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The 6mt in the JL and JT are barely rated for what the engine puts out but it was a required compromise because nothing else fits in the 2dr chassis.
I have never heard this before (not that it isn't correct). Somehow, however, Jeep manged to fit an MT with higher torque ratings into the smaller TJ, which had an inline 6 and was overall just smaller than a JL.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
The funny thing is that everyone wants to blame the Taco AT but the 3.90 axles were too tall for the double OD design and after swapping third members from a wrecked MT into an AT, the 4.30 gears totally woke it up. It has an even deeper OD than the JT so I know some guys were running 5.29s even on 33s. Truck still cruised under 2500.
How different the trans and diffs are between the two vehicles!
Sponsored