Sponsored

Anyone building (planning) to build a Jeep Wayout?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep Wayout Concept shown at the Easter Safari in Moab has a lot of great features. I like many of them and see this concept as one of the best ways to use a Gladiator off road.

Anyone building or planning to build something similar to the Jeep Wayout Concept?

ti7o0pyhs9za02ua8cyj.png

2019-Jeep-Gladiator-Wayout-Concept-0-Hero-1087x725.jpg

4mwk0dgq91t21.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of overlanding products being developed as the popularity of getting away off road grows exponentially.

One of the products is this one, the Go Fast Camper. Not sure which came first, the Jeep Wayout or the Go Fast Camper (my bet is Go Fast Camper was first) but whether one inspired the other, the key is this is an exciting and versatile setup.

GFCOpen.jpg

GFCOpenFront-700x525.jpg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a link to the "Off-Road Wedge Camper Shootout"
https://expeditionportal.com/the-off-road-wedge-camper-shootout/
as it has a number of RTT options for those looking to do something like this.

I'm personally not a fan of the green color of the Gladiator nor are the "steelie" wheels my thing. But the concept is, for me, really interesting and building one with the Box Frame and RTT (Roof Top Tent) is super interesting.

A build like this is more appealing to me...
Used-2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Rubicon-Signature-Series-I.jpg

The tires are 38 x 15.5 (!!!) x 20 - too wide for me but they look great!

Details on the above Gladiator:
4" Custom Lift
Open Country Toyo MT 38 x 15.5 x 20
Rhino Armory Wheels, 20 x 12
Adjustable Front Traction Bar
JL Dual Stabilizer Bar
Amp Research Bars
https://www.bjmotors.biz/2020-jeep-gladiator-rubicon-signature-series-c-13507.htm

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
They’re pretty spendy, but probably cheaper than going custom with fiberglass.

There’s also Ursa Minor for the wrangler - maybe they’ll do something for the Gladiator eventually. There’s also a company in TX or OK that makes an extended JK with a big pop up tent. I can’t remember their name though. They’re sort of custom, so maybe they’d do something one-off. Or if you did a Fab Fours style rack, with their over the cab piece whenever that gets made, and a standard hard shell tent.

I’d need two RTT’s for my family, or an annex, so we’re sticking with our Gazelle T4 plus until the kids are too cool to camp in the same tent as us. Then the wife and I will go on the roof and the kids can do solo tents, hammocks, whatever.

LLOD on YouTube is testing a new iKamper made for 5’ beds. It’s a hardshell but flips out like a soft shell once you pop the top. Looks pretty slick and would be my preference I think. I think he said it’d be out next year maybe?

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I built a JKUR for rock crawling, but over the years I've done less and less of that and more overland style trips. When I get my JT (I'm waiting to see what the final specs are on the diesel before purchasing) I will be building it as a dedicated overlander. As such, something along the lines of the Wayout concept will be my goal. There are several things about it that I don't like, the colors, the steelie wheels and there is just something "off" on the bed rack.

I've already got a RTT on the JK, so a bed rack is a must in the first round of modifications. I like the looks of that Fab four, but I don't understand why they basically have a double rack on the top. It seems like they could have integrated the front and end tube bars into the flat section to reduce height and weight (and money).

I'm still a little torn between a full rack and a half rack. Lower the RTT down so that it is nearly flush to the top of the cab is appealing as it would make messing with the RTT easier and would cut down on wind drag. The full rack gives you more room in the bed and looks better (IMO) when the RTT is not on it.

A front bumper with wench is a must as well, but weight is a major concern for me. Hopefully more options will come out while I wait on the diesel.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I built a JKUR for rock crawling, but over the years I've done less and less of that and more overland style trips. When I get my JT (I'm waiting to see what the final specs are on the diesel before purchasing) I will be building it as a dedicated overlander. As such, something along the lines of the Wayout concept will be my goal. There are several things about it that I don't like, the colors, the steelie wheels and there is just something "off" on the bed rack.

I've already got a RTT on the JK, so a bed rack is a must in the first round of modifications. I like the looks of that Fab four, but I don't understand why they basically have a double rack on the top. It seems like they could have integrated the front and end tube bars into the flat section to reduce height and weight (and money).

I'm still a little torn between a full rack and a half rack. Lower the RTT down so that it is nearly flush to the top of the cab is appealing as it would make messing with the RTT easier and would cut down on wind drag. The full rack gives you more room in the bed and looks better (IMO) when the RTT is not on it.

A front bumper with wench is a must as well, but weight is a major concern for me. Hopefully more options will come out while I wait on the diesel.

I like your thinking and I agree with you on the things JEEP put on the Wayout Concept including the Steelie wheels, the color and the bed right - good idea but not what I'd want either.

I've been thinking about a RTT (hardshell popup vs. flipover tent) and how it'd be great if it was lower and, as you said, have the top of the RTT at the top of the cab - it would reduce drag and best of all for me, it would put the RTT closer to the ground.

I believe there will be multiple choices/options for bed racks. I'd like to see something lightweight with a slick design that follows the shape of the cab and roofline. Seems like we're on the same page. And that makes me believe these ideas and issues will be addressed by the aftermarket.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I’m planning on building our truck as an Overland vehicle but want an enclosed shell, preferably made out of aluminum or steel. Fiberglass will not hold up to a rtt and off-road traveling.

I already have a Roofnest rtt and love it. Very easy to deploy and very aerodynamic.

I will be trying to model it after the trucks we’ve rented in Africa for our trips. They have been extremely well laid out and capable of multi-week trips before having to reprovision...

Here’s a link to the truck...be sure to watch the video.

https://bushlore.com/toyota-land-cruiser-79-4x4-camper-cruc2/

Sponsored

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
Were also doing an overloading build. We will be going with the Go Fast Camper (although the wait times are painfully long). We chose it for its simplicity and lightness. Its perfect for our needs and at a great price point. There are alot of nice options out there and certainly many more coming! Cant wait to see all the ideas and varieties on how everyone sets them up! (Now if only our JT would show up....ordered 6/27)

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about a RTT (hardshell popup vs. flipover tent) and how it'd be great if it was lower and, as you said, have the top of the RTT at the top of the cab - it would reduce drag and best of all for me, it would put the RTT closer to the ground.

I believe there will be multiple choices/options for bed racks. I'd like to see something lightweight with a slick design that follows the shape of the cab and roofline. Seems like we're on the same page. And that makes me believe these ideas and issues will be addressed by the aftermarket.
I really like my RTT, it is the gray one in the pic below. The trailer and tan tent were loners from some friends for that trip.

p?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cofamjeepn.com%2FTripReports%2F2018%2FDeathValley%2FDay2%2FDV_Day2-0157.jpg

As I've done more and more overland style trips, I think I'd do a hard shell RTT if I was to do it again and money was not an issue. Being able to hard mount my solar panel on top of it would make life much easier. It would also be much easier and quicker to setup. While my soft side RTT only takes about 5 mins or so to setup and break down, 1 to 2 mins would be much better. lol

One drawback to having the RTT mount on a half rack is that you have to come up with another way to mount and deploy an awning. I've only tried one once on all my trips, but there have been times it would have been nice to have a nice one to setup.

I'm not sure how many different options we are really going to end up with for bed racks. There is the Leitner and Fab Four racks that are totally different, but most of the others are pretty much the erector set style. There are several of those out there, but there is not a lot different about them. I think it was on this forum where JCR stated why they did not follow the shape of the cab on their rack and it makes sense, so I'm not sure how many racks we will see that do follow it.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m planning on building our truck as an Overland vehicle but want an enclosed shell, preferably made out of aluminum or steel. Fiberglass will not hold up to a rtt and off-road traveling.

I already have a Roofnest rtt and love it. Very easy to deploy and very aerodynamic.

I will be trying to model it after the trucks we’ve rented in Africa for our trips. They have been extremely well laid out and capable of multi-week trips before having to reprovision...

Here’s a link to the truck...be sure to watch the video.

https://bushlore.com/toyota-land-cruiser-79-4x4-camper-cruc2/
I just came across those Roofnest RTT the other week, they do look nice and the price is not bad on them. I was also checking out that safari site you linked to about a month ago. Have you written any trip reports from any of those outings and shared them some place?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I just came across those Roofnest RTT the other week, they do look nice and the price is not bad on them. I was also checking out that safari site you linked to about a month ago. Have you written any trip reports from any of those outings and shared them some place?
Unfortunately I haven’t had the time...between retiring and closing out my main business and my younger son getting married in a little over a month my honey do list keeps growing daily!

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Were also doing an overloading build. We will be going with the Go Fast Camper (although the wait times are painfully long). We chose it for its simplicity and lightness. Its perfect for our needs and at a great price point. There are alot of nice options out there and certainly many more coming! Cant wait to see all the ideas and varieties on how everyone sets them up! (Now if only our JT would show up....ordered 6/27)
The Go Fast Camper looks good as well. It rated pretty good on the Expedition Portal shootout. the 7 month wait time is pretty crazy. I just hope their customer service after the sale is not hampered by that.
Sponsored