Sponsored

Anyone else bothered by this Uconnect feature?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I keep small hand towels in my vehicles for various uses. Just lay towel over dash and uconnect screen, viola` no more backup screen that you now have complete control over.
I always have a bandanna in my pocket . . . all kinds of useful
Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I keep small hand towels in my vehicles for various uses. Just lay towel over dash and uconnect screen, viola` no more backup screen that you now have complete control over.
The drive-in theater we like to go to plays all their audio through the FM radio directly into the vehicle. With the switch in the ACC position so the radio works, the screen will stay on in the wife's car. This is how we solved the problem.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
The screen is too bright and dimming the interior lights by the using scroll on the dash did not change the display’s brightness when in back up camera mode.
The display brightness (including the backup camera) can be changed using scroll on the dash, but...

- It’s just a little bit less illuminated...

- It doesn’t work in some headlight modes as OFF in Reverse or AUTO in Park or Drive.

- I think that FCA/Jeep could add a third and lower level of brightness while seeing sufficiently the backup image in darkness...

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
- It doesn’t work in some headlight modes as OFF in Reverse or AUTO in Park or Drive.
That's just plain funny as every vehicle we've ever owned with an "automatic" position on the headlights - that's where it sits from the day we get it to the day we trade it off or sell it. That includes my 04 WJ, 2011 Silverado, my wife's Grand Cherokees - any of them, and this JT.
No wonder we could never figure it out.
It should function at any time.

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
There is no auto-dim when the ambient light gets low? My 3yo Chevy has that, and my 10yo GPS unit has that.
Seems strange the screen doesn't auto-dim or change to a "dark" theme after sunset?

OrangeChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk’n Gladiator
Good point as since early last year it was required. Why have it if it can be turned off - so I'd bet the NHTSA stipulated thou shalt have camera that shall be beyond thee's capability to disable
Challenge accepted.

Brainstorming: Screen: towel, bandanna, cardboard, pug/chihuahua; Camera: close-fit cover, wire camera power through an Aux switch, wire camera video output through a dimmer switch (not sure how that would actually work)

I'm with futzin' here, light discipline is crucial.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Challenge accepted.

Brainstorming: Screen: towel, bandanna, cardboard, pug/chihuahua; Camera: close-fit cover, wire camera power through an Aux switch, wire camera video output through a dimmer switch (not sure how that would actually work)

I'm with futzin' here, light discipline is crucial.
I would suggest to unscrew the tailgate panel that gives access to the camera and disconnect the video wire and/or power just to see how the Jeep will deal with the signal loss. You will see if you get only a black screen on reverse (what would suggest to simply add a switch to one of this cable) or if you get a brighter “backup camera can’t be found” pop up screen!!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest to unscrew the tailgate panel that gives access to the camera and disconnect the video wire and/or power just to see how the Jeep will deal with the signal loss. You will see if you get only a black screen on reverse (what would suggest to simply add a switch to one of this cable) or if you get a brighter “backup camera can’t be found” pop up screen!!!
Or a piece of static cling window film over the screen

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Was backing up my enclosed trailer down my long driveway last night in the dark and had a much tougher time doing so than I should have. The 8.4” uconnect back up camera feature will unfortunately NOT turn off by pressing the “screen off” button. Having it illuminated messes with my vision and the ability to clearly see outside the vehicle in the dark. The screen is too bright and dimming the interior lights by the using scroll on the dash did not change the display’s brightness when in back up camera mode. Ordinarily, in my old JK I would dim the interior & dash lights, turn off the radio which eliminated most of the light in the cab and backing up the trailer in the dark was not a problem.

I would like to have the Ability to turn off the screen in this situation, but it appears that’s not possible. Perhaps the tazer JL can change this? It doesn’t mention this capability but does anyone know any more info about this?

thanks in advance.

It's pretty bright for me too, which is curious because most of what's on-screen is very dark, except for the trailer lights, which come on in reverse too. I haven't found a way to dim the display...
Sponsored