Sponsored

Anyone put stiffer springs on their Mojave?

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
I love my mojave but find that the front springs bottom out very easy for a rig set up foe dessert whoops. Has anyone found or replaced their springs with another that keeps factory height but gives a bit more resistance?
Sponsored

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave; 2008 JKU (RIP)
Did you add a steel bumper and winch?

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
added the rubi steel to the rear along with LCA and shock skids. Everything else is stock. No winch either.
I recall reading here that someone did upgrade their springs and found they needed to upgrade the shocks afterwards. They mentioned how well jeep paired the shock/spring combo

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure its actually bottoming and what you are hearing isn't just the sound of the hydraulic bumps tops coming in contact with the Axle??

It sounds like bottoming but it isn't.

As I write this I'm 99% sure what you think is bottoming is just the factory front hydraulic bump stops contacting the axle.

Go here.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/what-are-hydraulic-bump-stops/

Scroll down to the video and fast forward to 1:00. At about 1:05 you will see AND HEAR the bump stop contacting the axle. It makes quite a thunk. But they are doing what they are supposed to do.

Don

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Are you sure its actually bottoming and what you are hearing isn't just the sound of the hydraulic bumps tops coming in contact with the Axle??

It sounds like bottoming but it isn't.

As I write this I'm 99% sure what you think is bottoming is just the factory front hydraulic bump stops contacting the axle.

Go here.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/what-are-hydraulic-bump-stops/

Scroll down to the video and fast forward to 1:00. At about 1:05 you will see AND HEAR the bump stop contacting the axle. It makes quite a thunk. But they are doing what they are supposed to do.

Don
Watched the video, I still think it is bottoming out as it it a jarring hint when it happens, not just a sound.

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's weird man. Unless you're really heavy on the skinny pedal over tough terrain, it shouldn't be bottoming out. And I don't think the added weight to the rear would affect the front.

Sorry I cant be more help other than "Yup, it shouldn't do that."

Over several camping trips and some (albiet easy) trails, mine has never bottomed out.

Maybe you could provide some more context as to when it happens. Are you talking like you hit a pothole and it bottomed out? Or are you doing 50 mph over rocks?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watched the video, I still think it is bottoming out as it it a jarring hint when it happens, not just a sound.
This is very surprising. I've hammered my Mojave down fire roads and I can hear and feel the clunk as the bumps stops make contact. But its not harsh. Its harshER. That's the whole point of the hydraulic bump stop, to introduce more compression damping that provided by the main shocks.

I think the idea of bungeeing a GoPro to your frame is a good idea.

OP
OP

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
The only times I have noticed it is where the city is resufacing the road. At each end of the new surface, which is a bit lower than the old part, they is this little bit of a dip with a small ramp up to the old surface. I know the bump is there so I slow down to under 10MPH and still get this jarring hint unless I literally crawl over this. I did Tincup pass over the summer, although not a tough trail it had some bumps and never felt this.

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only times I have noticed it is where the city is resufacing the road. At each end of the new surface, which is a bit lower than the old part, they is this little bit of a dip with a small ramp up to the old surface. I know the bump is there so I slow down to under 10MPH and still get this jarring hint unless I literally crawl over this. I did Tincup pass over the summer, although not a tough trail it had some bumps and never felt this.
Sounds like something is wrong there.... definitely should not be doing that. Are either of your front shocks leaking? If you're still under warranty, I'd make an appointment with the dealership.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Sounds like something is wrong there.... definitely should not be doing that. Are either of your front shocks leaking? If you're still under warranty, I'd make an appointment with the dealership.
No leaks that I can see. I am in Colorado for another 3 weeks then back to Texas. I will put it on the lift when I get home and give everything a good look. Thanks for your input.

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No leaks that I can see. I am in Colorado for another 3 weeks then back to Texas. I will put it on the lift when I get home and give everything a good look. Thanks for your input.
👍🏻

If you're coming down I-25 to I-10, you'll come right through Las Cruces. Shoot me a message ahead of time if you want to meet up and ride in mine. Might help with diagnosis if we can/cannot replicate what you're feeling in yours.

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave Sting Gray
Occupation
Software Nerd
Mine was doing exactly what you are describing. Don’t know why but it drove me nuts. There’s a dip in a retail shopping center that used to make my front end slam at about 20 mph.. Driving 45-50 on dirt roads and hitting dips would cause it as well. This was With only the factory plastic bumper.

I installed the EVO 2.5” springs with King 2.5 reservoir shocks and 2.5” bump stop extensions (kept the Fox hydraulic bump stops) and a rugged ridge Arcus and badlands winch. I haven’t ”bottomed out” since. I don’t know why the factory setup was so jarring.

OP
OP

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Mine was doing exactly what you are describing. Don’t know why but it drove me nuts. There’s a dip in a retail shopping center that used to make my front end slam at about 20 mph.. Driving 45-50 on dirt roads and hitting dips would cause it as well. This was With only the factory plastic bumper.

I installed the EVO 2.5” springs with King 2.5 reservoir shocks and 2.5” bump stop extensions (kept the Fox hydraulic bump stops) and a rugged ridge Arcus and badlands winch. I haven’t ”bottomed out” since. I don’t know why the factory setup was so jarring.
I appreciate your insight, but after paying for those fancy shocks, I really don't want to replace them. LOL

OP
OP

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
👍🏻

If you're coming down I-25 to I-10, you'll come right through Las Cruces. Shoot me a message ahead of time if you want to meet up and ride in mine. Might help with diagnosis if we can/cannot replicate what you're feeling in yours.
Appreciate the offer, but we are going east to Lawerance Kansas to wacth our daughter March for KU on our way home.
Sponsored