Sponsored

Anyone running a ROAM Vagabond RTT on a Max Modular bed frame?

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The ROAM site says it needs a minimum of 48” center to center on the cross rails for mounting. The Max Modular is only 46” long.
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I used the kbvoodoo cross bars (same company) at first. I left the vagabond off center towards the tail gate. I used three sets of uprights, but it didn’t matter.

it was secure, but the rear crossbar definitely bent over 1/2”, from the tenting bouncing on mostly highway.

I ended up gabbing some customebraces/crossbars That we’re high enough to clear the roof. They are actually only46”, but no issue now, bc the RTT is centered.

OP
OP
SC Doberman

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used the kbvoodoo cross bars (same company) at first. I left the vagabond off center towards the tail gate. I used three sets of uprights, but it didn’t matter.

it was secure, but the rear crossbar definitely bent over 1/2”, from the tenting bouncing on mostly highway.

I ended up gabbing some customebraces/crossbars That we’re high enough to clear the roof. They are actually only46”, but no issue now, bc the RTT is centered.
Thanks! I think the Max Modular with the tonneau brackets will put the top of the rack even with the top of the cab. Hopefully that’s the case and I can center the RTT.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Do you have the rack yet?
I have the 46" rack. I put my Torro RTT on it with no problems. We put on about 5K that way including about 25 hours on trails with no problems.
Jeep Gladiator Anyone running a ROAM Vagabond RTT on a Max Modular bed frame? MattsNHJee
That being said, I am currently upgrading to the 58" rack. It will be on this week. I will post pictures and any modifications that are needed to make it work. It would be on now, but I am waiting on 2 replacement brackets-they sent all 4 the same.

OP
OP
SC Doberman

SC Doberman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the rack yet?
I have the 46" rack. I put my Torro RTT on it with no problems. We put on about 5K that way including about 25 hours on trails with no problems.
Jeep Gladiator Anyone running a ROAM Vagabond RTT on a Max Modular bed frame? MattsNHJee
That being said, I am currently upgrading to the 58" rack. It will be on this week. I will post pictures and any modifications that are needed to make it work. It would be on now, but I am waiting on 2 replacement brackets-they sent all 4 the same.
I don’t have the rack yet

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
Then give me a couple days for the brackets to see finished rack

PA_OVRLND

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Attempting to revive this long dead thread. I’m trying to install a vagabond on my Max bed rack and it doesn’t seem possible to get the top bars at the right width to line up with the Vagabond rails did you just attach the tent straight to the main cross bars with the sandwich plate? The only way I can figure to use the top bar slots is if I have them slightly off center (~3/4-1.5”) to on side of the truck but I’d really like the tent to be centered on the rack both perpendicular and parallel to the wheelbase of the JT

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
The Vegabond rails should run front to back or parrallel with the truck, right? They will not line up over top of the rack rails. Vegabond should however specify a range that the perpendicular cross bars should be set apart. Yes, you just fasten them to the rack cross bars, the Vegabond bars will carry the weight; bridge it, if you will.
If you are bigger people or have kids jumping about in the RTT, then you could add an extra bar/beam or whatever along with the Vegabond bars. I would not worry about mounting it to the RTT, just to the rack.
Jeep Gladiator Anyone running a ROAM Vagabond RTT on a Max Modular bed frame? TentRack2.JPG

You can see in this photo that the parrallel supports only contact the cross bars. (46")
Jeep Gladiator Anyone running a ROAM Vagabond RTT on a Max Modular bed frame? Rack58

Same rack but with 58" long bars.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
what type of wind drag does that get?

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whipping boy
@Elff Believe it or not, it hardly changes it. (Less than 1 mpg) I will say that at speeds that involve a '9' it gets down to about 8 mpg. The tent that is, the rack makes ZERO difference.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Cool

I wasn't sure if that affected things