Sponsored

Anyone use AEV lift with Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks?

EZRider

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I’m thinking about pairing the AEV lift with the heavy duty springs (3” lift) with the Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks for a 2-3” lift (part #14-02-33-400-152). I would be installing the lift on a JTR diesel. I’m hoping someone else who has done this or knows someone who has done this or something similar could give me some advice/feedback.
Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I've got the 3.3s on my JTR diesel, with the kind of heavy load (Alu-Cab Canopy Camper) that would have someone looking for HD springs.

However I went with Clayton heavy-duty springs rather than AEV. Happy to share my thoughts but not sure if you're more interested in the shocks or the springs, or both, or ???

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I've had the Falcon SP2 3.3's with Clayton SD springs and Synergy springs. They are a firm shock that are paired better with a softer spring. Clayton + Falcon are a firm ride and IMO not very compliant on small bumps/washboard.

In regards to the AEV HC springs, they are really designed for a heavy load in the rear. There's a substantial 2.5" rake in an unloaded JT. Unless you need them, I'd recommend sticking with the AEV SC springs.

OP
OP

EZRider

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently I have stock suspension, RSI Smartcap, RTT, fridge in the bed, full MetalCloak belly skids plus everything else to camp/overland. Stock suspension is overloaded. I got a deal on the SP2’s that I couldn’t pass up. I’m looking for 2.5 to 3” of lift utilizing the Falcon shocks. You’re input on spring and lift choice would be appreciated.

OP
OP

EZRider

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got the 3.3s on my JTR diesel, with the kind of heavy load (Alu-Cab Canopy Camper) that would have someone looking for HD springs.

However I went with Clayton heavy-duty springs rather than AEV. Happy to share my thoughts but not sure if you're more interested in the shocks or the springs, or both, or ???
Fourfa, I have the Falcon SP2 shocks (see my post above) and am looking for springs and lift that would work well with the shocks. I was hoping the adjustibility of the Falcons would let me tune the shock to my needs depending on the load on the Gladiator. Right now I’ve removed all my gear, fridge and RTT which I do when I know I won’t be using it soon. Please let me know what you think. What led you to choose the Clayton springs over AEV?

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Clayton publishes spring rates; all other manufacturers (pretty much) treat rates like a trade secret so users are in the dark and guessing. AEV was well-reviewed for heavy trucks like mine, so was Clayton; but that extra concrete info was enough to sway me. I got Clayton's 3.5" HD springs rear and diesel front, and got 2.5" of rear lift relative to bone-stock empty (remember, this basically loaded to GVWR at all times). No idea how much these springs would lift an empty truck; +3.5" is probably right. My front with winch/bumper is +4.5"over bone-stock, and +5" vs stock springs with winch/bumper.

I don't think the SP2 3.3 is a firm shock at all; quite the opposite IMHO (as long as you're using the recommended soft shaft-twist setting). On setting 1 my truck floats like a cork. This setting is only useful for the worst, harshest washboard when I need to carry some speed and float over the top of the ruts. But it's not hard to hit a couple of whoops in a row that drive the suspension to resonance and bang off the bump stops. Handling on pavement in 1 is terrible , floppy, almost dangerous IMO- this is strictly fast washboards and harsh rocky trails only.

On setting 2 things are pretty balanced off-road. Not very harsh in most situations, not as floppy as setting 1, rare to blow through travel as easily as 1, handling is fine on pavement even at speed.

My shocks live on setting 3 on pavement and normal town driving - handling is sharper, firmer, more tossable and confident in quick transitions. But I don't ever feel that it's unreasonably harsh.

My truck has D-range 37s (on the heavy side), a canopy camper with a lot of weight up high, fridge, tools, spare fuel, usually 10-15 gallons of water, full belly skid (aluminum), lots of smaller steel skids (control arm mounts, shocks, diffs), usually 2 people and 2 big dogs and all their stuff. OP's truck sounds closer to mine than the typical open bed or minimal rack with a few boxes of stuff.

It's critical to qualify the feedback you get with how heavy the truck is. I fully believe that on a near empty truck with too-heavy springs, the 3.3s might feel firm and harsh. And pay attention to the shock-twist setting (this is what they call the SP2 feature) - nearly everyone, even me, will want the soft setting. It is very harsh in the firm setting. Apparently that firm setting used to be the only setting, and they got a very bad rap early on. Then they updated the shocks to add the softer SP2 setting. I often wonder how many people don't know that.
Sponsored