Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Not a problem in some states.
We're one of them. We generate 57-58% of our electricity by wind, they say the total by "renewables" is 59% because they are expanding wind and solar here. We have sold excess power to other states for about 15 years.
We also have some of the lowest rates in the country.
I know and understand that some places will really suffer, some already are, some will be ok for a while, some for not very long, and some for a long time.
We'll be fine. Our electric company is very forward thinking and has been looking to the future for a long time.
They installed devices to cycle home AC in peak use and give credit for allowing that device at your home - and I think they've used it once in the last 10 years. I can't recall the last time we noticed the AC being cycled by them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hawkeye state is the largest producer of renewable energy, with 59.5% of its power generated by homegrown renewable energy sources. Being number one in the nation for the state's share of electricity generated by renewables, we capitalize on this achievement by continuing to modernize Iowa’s transmission grid. Bolstering transmission infrastructure will increase resiliency during severe storms. A stronger grid can also carry energy farther during peak loads and create efficiency to ensure electric consumers can access the lowest-cost energy available. The cost of transmission investments will be returned to customers in lower-cost energy and operational savings.

Iowa can be proud of its energy independence. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), Iowa has generated more energy each year than the state has consumed since 2008. This means the excess power is exported and sold to other states through the regional grid while creating energy cost benefits for Iowa’s electric customers — Iowa reaps the benefits of renewable energy while also helping out our neighboring states. Upgrading and expanding transmission not only strengthens Iowa's ability to keep the lights on, it also provides an opportunity to sell our excess power to neighboring states when they aren’t producing enough to meet their needs.
You have to look at it in a holistic approach. Those states that are lacking are subsidized or supported by the surrounding grinds. What happens when those grids can no longer self sustain? Its going to be utter chaos because there is not any on going improvement or upgrades being made for any of the grids.

Simply put, its a hot fuckin mess that's in the works of failing as a whole. Its going to be the snowball effect or dominos. Everyone has their head in the sand because they believe the BS that's being fed to us.......this is all fact and I cannot expand upon with out going into the secret spooky world I have operated in for the last 25 years for DoD.

Everyone can live in disbelieve and think I'm spitting BS. That's fine, I'm prepared, aware and educated on the situation. This is not a toilet paper or egg shortage.........its going to impact everything
Sponsored

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So this turned quickly.. LOL

I bought my new Gladdy in 2021.. Love it, built it, crawl it and even hate the MPG like everyone else but wouldn't think of ever getting rid of it..

My GF bought a new 4XE last month.. We debated on getting one for a while but saw the benefits out weight the drawbacks.. 375HP, 475FTlbs torque, while getting an average 24 MPG.. Hell we've been in Colorado for a week now and haven't had any issues like FORM, and were using free local chargers and her sisters outside plug.. If Jeep came out with a hybrid Gladiator I would be on it!!
Just My opinion...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So this turned quickly.. LOL

I bought my new Gladdy in 2021.. Love it, built it, crawl it and even hate the MPG like everyone else but wouldn't think of ever getting rid of it..

My GF bought a new 4XE last month.. We debated on getting one for a while but saw the benefits out weight the drawbacks.. 375HP, 475FTlbs torque, while getting an average 24 MPG.. Hell we've been in Colorado for a week now and haven't had any issues like FORM, and were using free local chargers and her sisters outside plug.. If Jeep came out with a hybrid Gladiator I would be on it!!
Just My opinion...
With the sort of driving my wife does, the trip distances and so on, she's getting upper 20s or better so far.
I figure if she can match the mpg of her 2021 Grand Cherokee (or get really close), it's a win. (25-26)

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
That bit about "emissions" and "bad for the environment" has been disproven, actually. There's a number of scientific articles that actually come from decent sources and debunk the "I hate EV" web sites.

But this thread isn't about your hate of EVs or hybrids. It's about learning some facts about credits and so on.

Besides, electric will kick your butt in the 0-60 acceleration bit.

This thread was informational, not to convince anyone. There's other I hate EV threads.
We got (on it’s way) a Rav4 Prime PHEV precisely because we have solar (got 36% off taxes) almost paid for, pay nothing to utility, and so driving around town will be free (42 mile range) and can drive it on the ICE for trips. Best of both worlds. 30% of cost off next years taxes. Could visit Bill with about 95 mpg. All EV just isn’t practical yet.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cash in on a EV tax credit to financially lose out at the end. These EV's are not lasting forever. Look up what a tie rod end cost for a Tesla. Not available? You mean I have to buy an entire steering sector for thousands $$. There's no installing that yourself either. It needs to be assigned to the car and software has to be loaded. That is one example of many. Batteries are not the only issue depleting your wallet. Cash it now and pay for as long as you own it.

The only way to sort of "Cash in" is if you trade in every year or two to avoid the high dollar maintenance events.

This is my take. I think the technology is great, but right now, it's not for everyone. Shame on the Government for putting out a tax credit for the financially savvy group. Don't see many EV's in the trailer parks.
12 year warranty on batteries in our Rav4 PHEV. Who keeps a car that long? Ok some do. By then the technology will be beyond anything we can imagine. Think back to 2013 or 2003. Assuming no WWIII.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We got (on it’s way) a Rav4 Prime PHEV precisely because we have solar (got 36% off taxes) almost paid for, pay nothing to utility, and so driving around town will be free (42 mile range) and can drive it on the ICE for trips. Best of both worlds. 30% of cost off next years taxes. Could visit Bill with about 95 mpg. All EV just isn’t practical yet.
With the extended tax credits (10 years, I believe) and the 30% - I've thought about solar for at least part of our setup anyway, but to power the vehicle charging with solar and maybe a bit more for other stuff in the garage............
But just charging a vehicle off solar would be great.

100,000 miles, 8 years - long time for us. I'd be 74.
I did keep my F250 16 years - 1995 to 2011. That was a record for me.
The Chevy I bought in July 2011 and got rid of it for my first JT in 2019 so 8 years for it.
So if we keep the Wrangler 4xe that long...........
And yeah, by then, technology and vehicles just in general will be SO changed.
Even in 3 years the world of vehicles will be drastically different. It has to be with the EU rules, as well as other state rules.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With the extended tax credits (10 years, I believe) and the 30% - I've thought about solar for at least part of our setup anyway, but to power the vehicle charging with solar and maybe a bit more for other stuff in the garage............
But just charging a vehicle off solar would be great.

100,000 miles, 8 years - long time for us. I'd be 74.
I did keep my F250 16 years - 1995 to 2011. That was a record for me.
The Chevy I bought in July 2011 and got rid of it for my first JT in 2019 so 8 years for it.
So if we keep the Wrangler 4xe that long...........
And yeah, by then, technology and vehicles just in general will be SO changed.
Even in 3 years the world of vehicles will be drastically different. It has to be with the EU rules, as well as other state rules.
I'm 73 now, and watch with amazement, and some trepidation, how the digital world is changing our world. Like all things some good, some bad. I want to live to see H. sapiens on Mars, and hope we don't try and mess it up like Earth.

On a similar note, I saw today a column on the danger of Tesla's self driving software - kill anybody else lately?

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
Looks like Electrify America fixed their cold charging issues, that was fast! If they can keep that going maybe an electric car will become more appealing to me. I still can't deal with stopping all the time to charge though.
An example of my travel style
We had to go to Alabama last week, 3000 miles round trip
The car we were using has a 500+ mile range
We stopped once at a rest area for a bathroom break (10 minutes) during a 500 mile stint.
I know a lot of people don't travel like that, but I do.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like Electrify America fixed their cold charging issues, that was fast! If they can keep that going maybe an electric car will become more appealing to me. I still can't deal with stopping all the time to charge though.
An example of my travel style
We had to go to Alabama last week, 3000 miles round trip
The car we were using has a 500+ mile range
We stopped once at a rest area for a bathroom break (10 minutes) during a 500 mile stint.
I know a lot of people don't travel like that, but I do.
That's why we're ordering a PHEV (Rav4 Prime). It's in the Portland, OR port now. This way around town we'll be all electric (have 6.23kV solar), and on long trips it's an ICE car. EVs just aren't there yet in my opinion except for around town driving.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's why we're ordering a PHEV (Rav4 Prime). It's in the Portland, OR port now. This way around town we'll be all electric (have 6.23kV solar), and on long trips it's an ICE car. EVs just aren't there yet in my opinion except for around town driving.
For our kind of driving, the 4xe is perfect. GREAT mpg and range better than expected.
I'd not go EV because on long drives they just aren't convenient. But for many they are a good solution.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For our kind of driving, the 4xe is perfect. GREAT mpg and range better than expected.
I'd not go EV because on long drives they just aren't convenient. But for many they are a good solution.
Teslas are popular in my area. I had no interested in them and their poor reliability issues. I think it's a fad kind of thing.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
My wife’s got a 2019 Tesla Model 3. After 3+ years of ownership I still can’t see having all of our cars be EVs. I just don’t like having to worry about stopping and charging for a long period of time or struggle finding a charging station when on a road trip.

I’m not against being environmentally conscious but I still wonder if EVs are really the best tech to lock in on, given the fact that not everyone owns a home. Folks with apartments really can’t own an EV still without major hassles. Forcing these folks to own an EV just doesn’t seem right. Let alone every EV being exorbitantly priced.

I just bought my son his first car and we went with gas due to the price and the fact that I don’t want him having to focus his life around finding charging stations. Obviously he’s a long way from home ownership.

We’re also seeing major MPG drops in cold weather with our Model 3.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not against being environmentally conscious but I still wonder if EVs are really the best tech to lock in on, given the fact that not everyone owns a home. Folks with apartments really can’t own an EV still without major hassles. Forcing these folks to own an EV just doesn’t seem right. Let alone every EV being exorbitantly priced.
Good points. Around here the most building is being done for apartments, town homes and condos. Single family dwellings are being built but the trend is away from them and even today, you see apartments being built. You can bet due to costs - no EV charging.
Frankly, CA and VA are being short-sighted when they insist "no new ICE-powered vehicle sales after xxxx".
They are leaving out the single people, childless couples, or even families who live in lofts, apartments, etc. - and there's no chance in @#$% of charging a vehicle. A friend in NY says (and this was like 10 years ago) a parking area for his car was $500/month. Now figure having to pay that and for charging, too. Hundreds of thousands of people will be stuck when places outlaw sales of new ICE powered vehicles. So their clunker dies and they need to buy a new vehicle -they'll be forced to buy only used.
I'm also not against the future, and diversity in powering our mobilization, but all things must be considered.
We will need at least one vehicle that's gas or at least PHEV. We couldn't go all electric, all pure EV . It would kill any thoughts of travel. Even if flying - airports aren't ready to park EVs and charge them while you are away for 1 to 2 weeks.
On the other hand - why is GM coming up with a brand new V8? Why are there articles saying "ICE isn't dead yet" and the talk of new ICE development out there.....
If one digs really deep - the news that isn't making the news is that we ain't done yet. (no matter what certain people in high places say)
There are new patents and new designs still coming out. Patents cost money, R&D is crazy expensive. No company would waste time/resources/money if there wasn't some sort of future.
At least the EU has words in their programs stating "0 carbon" - that sort of thing, so if you can come up with a vehicle that emits 0 carbon, you're still in the game.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I was in the "hell no" crowd until I bought one. When Ford announced their F150 Lightning, I reserved one the first day you were able. About a year later, I was chosen as the first customer able to order at my dealer. Took delivery at the end of August.
Ordered the elusive Pro (base model). With options the sticker was $45.6. Tax rebate will be $7,500. Since I took delivery, Ford raised their price $16k for that model.
I figured at a net $40k otd price, I can drive it for a year or two and not get hurt.
I do not use public fast chargers and limit my charging to home. My longest trip is to my camp which is 70 mi round trip.
So far so good, but I will rely on our ICE vehicles for any distance traveling.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.