Sponsored

Article: top price premiums paid for new vehicles -- JT is 4th on list

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The Z06 is going to put many sports car makers on notice.
I'm sure GM would like to make a ton of them but they haven't even been able to do a full year's production of base C8s yet. I don't think we're going to see a lot of C8's of either type just laying around for sale at under MSRP any time soon. You could get thousands off a C7 Z06 sitting on your local dealer's lot, it's not going to happen for the C8 version.
Sponsored

Mrtaylor1982

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Asset remarketing
If you lease, you can still realize the appreciation. It just takes a little bit of work. When I paid off my JKU, the residual value was $23K plus sales tax. I traded it in for $32K and received a sales tax offset of $32K against the cost of my Gladiator.

My wife sold her leased Rav4 hybrid back to the dealer she bought it from and they cut her a check for $4K on the spot. She had 6 months left on the lease. We both purchased our next cars outright because the banks are starting to put a lot more restrictions on what you can do with leased vehicles.
Those are all nice but the bank sold it for 32K and you got a tax credit. The dealer resold your wifeā€™s for about 6-10K more. Iā€™m not saying they werenā€™t good deals just the bigger ā€œwinsā€ are going to be from the finance companies or the dealers who know how to take advantage of the system.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Not the people who leased it, they wonā€™t notice a thing. The banks will be when the resale it!
Not necessarily. If the vehicle is worth 40 and the buyout is 30 then you get the difference minus sales tax on the buyout and disposition fee if you choose to turn around and sell it.

Leasehackr.com is a great resource.
Initially I was going to lease my gladiator because it was a great deal if you want low payments and don't want to put money up front. After getting schooled by a couple senior members there who demonstrated that a Jeep is one of the least beneficial vehicles to lease because of their high residual value and niche following, I changed my tactic.

If nothing changes, I'll be up by at least 4-6k at the end of what was to be a 4 year lease whether I was to buy out the lease, of sell the purchased for the RV (which the jeeps historically beat significantly,) and the upside could be upwards of 10-12k depending on market conditions.
The downside is if the economy completely collapses then I have to ride it down whereas on the lease you give them the keys and walk away with a smile.

Last edited:

Mrtaylor1982

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Asset remarketing
Not necessarily. If the vehicle is worth 40 and the buyout is 30 then you get the difference minus sales tax on the buyout and disposition fee if you choose to turn around and sell it.

Leasehackr.com is a great resource.
Initially I was going to lease my gladiator because it was a great deal if you want low payments and don't want to put money up front. After getting schooled by a couple senior members there who demonstrated that a Jeep is one of the least beneficial vehicles to lease because of their high residual value and niche following, so I changed my tactic.

If nothing changes, I'll be up by at least 4-6k at the end of what was to be a 4 year lease whether I was to buy out the lease, of sell the purchased for the RV (which the jeeps historically beat significantly,) and the upside could be upwards of 10-12k depending on market conditions.
The downside is if the economy completely collapses then I have to ride it down whereas on the lease you give them the keys and walk away with a smile.
100% agree with you, unfortunately times are rare like this with the market. Most donā€™t know to do buy it and put the for sale sign on it the same day.

CT_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Those are all nice but the bank sold it for 32K and you got a tax credit. The dealer resold your wifeā€™s for about 6-10K more. Iā€™m not saying they werenā€™t good deals just the bigger ā€œwinsā€ are going to be from the finance companies or the dealers who know how to take advantage of the system.

I bought it from the bank for 23K and got 32K for it in trade. Which is 9K in profit. Which I consider a "win". By trading it in I saved over 2K in sales tax. If the Toyota dealer got 35K for a used RAV4 with 40k miles than more power to them.

Sponsored

MoDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2017 JK
Interesting. I bought both my JT and my wife's JL this year and didn't pay a premium for either.

devnull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Islander, 21 JT Rubicon, 19 Grand Sport
Occupation
scientific negotiator
Interesting. I bought both my JT and my wife's JL this year and didn't pay a premium for either.
Yeah we bought both too in June. We got several percentage points off them and the voices in my head were whining to each other that the deals were good enough. Both are well over sticker now and it would take many thousands more to buy each of them today...

I had been contemplating selling the vette (2019 C7 Grand Sport). I bought it new $12k under sticker in 2018 and can sell it for the original sticker now! Crazy times...
Sponsored