First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
I'm using the "InSIGHT" brake controller. I had the same controller in my JL. It's got 3 separate components: the small "brain box" which I mounted under the driver's side dash, a small LCD screen that I mounted next to the 4WD lever (shows braking force when brakes are applied) and the manual slider, which I mounted with 3m trim tape right next to the right side of the steering column. It's got an accelerometer, so applies brakes relative to the force of deceleration. Works great and have never had an issue with codes.
FWIW
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using the "InSIGHT" brake controller. I had the same controller in my JL. It's got 3 separate components: the small "brain box" which I mounted under the driver's side dash, a small LCD screen that I mounted next to the 4WD lever (shows braking force when brakes are applied) and the manual slider, which I mounted with 3m trim tape right next to the right side of the steering column. It's got an accelerometer, so applies brakes relative to the force of deceleration. Works great and have never had an issue with codes.
FWIW
You won't have any issue with codes or stability features IF your truck was manufactured AFTER January 8, 2020. You can use ANY brake controller in those JTs

It's not that your brake controller is better or special - it's that they made a change to the ABS system for JTs made after 1-8-2020.

For those before 1-8-2020, we take them to the dealer, the dealer flashes the ABS and we have no further issues.
Your controller operates like any other - save for the Redarc higher end model I have for my wife's WK2 - it's got two modes of operation. The main differences with yours is that is shows braking force in a separate display while most show the force applied with LEDs in the dial.

This thread actually should be merged with the huge many page thread that covers all of this in great detail and explains what happened, why, and what the final fix is from Jeep.

Bottom line - any JT can now run ANY trailer brake controller.
* IF your truck was built AFTER 1-8-2020 you will have NO issues with ANY brake controller.
* IF your truck was built on or before 1-8-2020, take it to the dealer along with the TSB that's been posted here in the big threads about this issue several times and they'll flash the truck's ABS and your brake controller issues will simply disappear and you, too, will be able to run ANY trailer brake controller.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
Interesting...good reading here and thanks for the info. Just checked my build date: Dec of 19. My dealer went through a bunch of updates recently chasing the long-running 0300 trouble code (ended up replacing the 2,4,6 cam. Works fine now) Maybe they flashed the ABS while it was there on life support....

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So reviving this thread a bit. I have had the insight brake controller since I first purchased my Gladiator. It has worked flawless, no codes, great brakes, I was like what is all the fuss. Fast forward to tonite. I rewired my trailer because the hacked up factory wiring made me wanna cry when I looked at it. Feeling all good about my sealed and soldered connections with kevlar wire loom, I jumped in the truck ran all the lights, and hot the brakes. All seemed good. Then I slid the manial slider to see how much brake force I could get. All the sudden, the traction control light and the avengers light comes on. I spent hours tracing grounds taking apart brakes, inspected the old harness. It had a broken ground wire and aux wire. I tried this and everything works except my brakeaway won't charge and I am grounding through the hitch.

So I start searching for ideas and low and behold my favorite forum pops up. Well know I have a bit of an issue. Do I risk taking it to the dealer for the ABS flash, or do I try the diode fix? For those of you that know me my truck is pretty far from stock, especially on the electronics side. What really tweaks my nogen is how well it worked miswired. Given if I ever had a breakaway that would of been interesting. Also I am really surprised how well it grounded through the hitch. Not sure what is causing the feedback when it is done right. I do notice my controller reads brake padal percent on its little screen.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So reviving this thread a bit. I have had the insight brake controller since I first purchased my Gladiator. It has worked flawless, no codes, great brakes, I was like what is all the fuss. Fast forward to tonite. I rewired my trailer because the hacked up factory wiring made me wanna cry when I looked at it. Feeling all good about my sealed and soldered connections with kevlar wire loom, I jumped in the truck ran all the lights, and hot the brakes. All seemed good. Then I slid the manial slider to see how much brake force I could get. All the sudden, the traction control light and the avengers light comes on. I spent hours tracing grounds taking apart brakes, inspected the old harness. It had a broken ground wire and aux wire. I tried this and everything works except my brakeaway won't charge and I am grounding through the hitch.

So I start searching for ideas and low and behold my favorite forum pops up. Well know I have a bit of an issue. Do I risk taking it to the dealer for the ABS flash, or do I try the diode fix? For those of you that know me my truck is pretty far from stock, especially on the electronics side. What really tweaks my nogen is how well it worked miswired. Given if I ever had a breakaway that would of been interesting. Also I am really surprised how well it grounded through the hitch. Not sure what is causing the feedback when it is done right. I do notice my controller reads brake padal percent on its little screen.
The issue we faced with the brake controller causing the cluster errors, ABS and such to freak out was that the brake controller puts a signal or voltage on the brake light line. Since the ABS doesn't see you pressing the brake pedal, it sees the signal on the brake light circuit as a problem and disables things causing the lights on the cluster.
The flash tells the ABS to ignore that signal on the brake light line.
If you press the brake pedal, the ABS knows you have pressed the pedal and the voltage in the brake light circuit is expected. If you apply trailer brakes with the controller and not press the pedal, the ABS before flash would see a problem because the brake pedal isn't pressed.

The fix was simple - tell the ABS to ignore the signal on the brake light circuit when the brake pedal isn't being pushed.

The state of confusion - pardon me, I mean - California, has a law that says if you manually apply trailer brakes with the brake controller then brake lights must be activated. Not sure how Jeep is handling this...... but since you are my neighbor, you probably don't give a rip with CA thinks. (or maybe no one in CA cares because how are they going to catch you unless you are pulled over and inspected or there's an accident?)

I guess - your call, but I figure you will get the update for the ABS eventually in the future if they ever release any other fix because this fix will roll forward to any future versions of the software. Did I word that right?

Man, I gotta see that truck of yours some day.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue we faced with the brake controller causing the cluster errors, ABS and such to freak out was that the brake controller puts a signal or voltage on the brake light line. Since the ABS doesn't see you pressing the brake pedal, it sees the signal on the brake light circuit as a problem and disables things causing the lights on the cluster.
The flash tells the ABS to ignore that signal on the brake light line.
If you press the brake pedal, the ABS knows you have pressed the pedal and the voltage in the brake light circuit is expected. If you apply trailer brakes with the controller and not press the pedal, the ABS before flash would see a problem because the brake pedal isn't pressed.

The fix was simple - tell the ABS to ignore the signal on the brake light circuit when the brake pedal isn't being pushed.

The state of confusion - pardon me, I mean - California, has a law that says if you manually apply trailer brakes with the brake controller then brake lights must be activated. Not sure how Jeep is handling this...... but since you are my neighbor, you probably don't give a rip with CA thinks. (or maybe no one in CA cares because how are they going to catch you unless you are pulled over and inspected or there's an accident?)

I guess - your call, but I figure you will get the update for the ABS eventually in the future if they ever release any other fix because this fix will roll forward to any future versions of the software. Did I word that right?

Man, I gotta see that truck of yours some day.
Well you nailed it on the head. I added the diode to my controller harness, and everything works awesome! The trIler rewire and this has the brakes working better than they ever did.

I used a Deutsch diode pack. I had it laying around.

Thanks for the heads up. No more errors and all is good.

How far from Davenport are you SP. My family is in the QC.

0102221650a.jpg

0102221650.jpg

0102221655.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well you nailed it on the head. I added the diode to my controller harness, and everything works awesome! The trIler rewire and this has the brakes working better than they ever did.

I used a Deutsch diode pack. I had it laying around.

Thanks for the heads up. No more errors and all is good.

How far from Davenport are you SP. My family is in the QC.

Jeep Gladiator Auto Park & Electronic Stability Control issues with brake controller 0102221655

Jeep Gladiator Auto Park & Electronic Stability Control issues with brake controller 0102221655

Glad you got it sorted out!
I'm about 3 hours from Davenport - I go up to I80, then east to 280 and down as I recall.........

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well may have to plan it out sometime. My brother lives in solon might have to do a road trip.

BeardedYinzer

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR and 97 TJ
Occupation
Software Engineer
I installed the Mopar controller and my jeep has 2019 build date. I spoke with the dealer today, they said they would need to charge me $180 to apply the TSB 08-102-20. Is it common for a dealer charge to apply a TSB?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Mopar controller and my jeep has 2019 build date. I spoke with the dealer today, they said they would need to charge me $180 to apply the TSB 08-102-20. Is it common for a dealer charge to apply a TSB?
Only if it is out of warranty.

Sponsored

BeardedYinzer

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR and 97 TJ
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's still under the factory warranty

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's still under the factory warranty
Then it's FREE because it's broken. Well, broken isn't a great word, but if it's under warranty, then the TSB, any TSB, is free since it's a problem with system while under warranty.