Sponsored

Automatic transmission with the manual option

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
;)Just my 2 cents worth but here’s the way I look at it.

Looking at the menu pages on the dash, think of it as pages of paper on a desk... page 1 at the top and page 8 at the bottom. With your finger on page 1, would you move your hand up or down to go to page 2? Or would you put page 1 at the bottom of the column and page 8 at the top so when you read to the bottom of page 1 you go up to page 2?
When you’re looking at a multi page PDF on your computer and your reading page 1, do you hit the up arrow to go to page 2? No, down arrow to go to the next page in the column. ;)
If you look at the dash screens strictly from a numerical standpoint then it would seem backwards; “down” to go up in “page number” but think of the pages as a “list” and then it makes more sense going “down” to get to the next one in the list.

as far as the shifter;
I had a 2016 Challenger and it had the same dash screen, 8.4” radio and shifter they use on the Jeeps. Stock part designs shared among multiple models with minor tweaks. Which is why the shifter is the same manual mode as the other models. The JT is not a sports car or a ‘sporty’ car but the other models in the barn are and it’s faster, safer, more common to have the ‘bump back’ for up shifts. I remember many of times doing things law enforcement might frown upon and it works great to be in manual mode with two hands on the wheel taking the right hand off just long enough to bump the shifter back with the bottom of your fist before putting it right back on the steering wheel. I DO agree that the manual mode in the JT is NOT for sportiness but ... they are not going to change the shifter/programming for one or two models out of 12 or more that share the same part.
I do remember the days when automatics had D-2-1 on the plate and from 1st you bumped forward to go to second and forward to go to 3rd from there (or up on the column shifter to go up in gears) but those days are gone. If this old fart with CDO can deal with it so can everyone else.

note** CDO is the same as OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order like they should be :giggle:
Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I'm telling you, the video game thing is real. I had never had controls like this in any vehicle and I got it right away because i was a nerd as a kid (still am) and played video games. The other day i picked up that sega genesis console they just released and its pretty fun going back and playing sonic and golden axe and earthworm jim.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
The question comes down to.... Do you set your game controller to inverted or normal for games ?
Yep....

Manually shifting an automatic is a game.

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
;)Just my 2 cents worth but here’s the way I look at it.

Looking at the menu pages on the dash, think of it as pages of paper on a desk... page 1 at the top and page 8 at the bottom. With your finger on page 1, would you move your hand up or down to go to page 2? Or would you put page 1 at the bottom of the column and page 8 at the top so when you read to the bottom of page 1 you go up to page 2?
When you’re looking at a multi page PDF on your computer and your reading page 1, do you hit the up arrow to go to page 2? No, down arrow to go to the next page in the column. ;)
If you look at the dash screens strictly from a numerical standpoint then it would seem backwards; “down” to go up in “page number” but think of the pages as a “list” and then it makes more sense going “down” to get to the next one in the list.

as far as the shifter;
I had a 2016 Challenger and it had the same dash screen, 8.4” radio and shifter they use on the Jeeps. Stock part designs shared among multiple models with minor tweaks. Which is why the shifter is the same manual mode as the other models. The JT is not a sports car or a ‘sporty’ car but the other models in the barn are and it’s faster, safer, more common to have the ‘bump back’ for up shifts. I remember many of times doing things law enforcement might frown upon and it works great to be in manual mode with two hands on the wheel taking the right hand off just long enough to bump the shifter back with the bottom of your fist before putting it right back on the steering wheel. I DO agree that the manual mode in the JT is NOT for sportiness but ... they are not going to change the shifter/programming for one or two models out of 12 or more that share the same part.
I do remember the days when automatics had D-2-1 on the plate and from 1st you bumped forward to go to second and forward to go to 3rd from there (or up on the column shifter to go up in gears) but those days are gone. If this old fart with CDO can deal with it so can everyone else.

note** CDO is the same as OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order like they should be :giggle:
Completely agree. Had a 15 Challenger and it was the same so it feels completely normal to me in the Gladiator!

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody use the manual shift option on the automatic transmission will it hurt anything to do this. I find that if a use the manual shift option on the transmission and run the gladiator in 7th gear it feels like it pulls hills better without shifting to 8th gear. I am running 35’s on factory wheels. I have the gladiator rubicon.
I use mine all the time...wheeling, mountain driving etc...

desertrecon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator JTR Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
So basically, when I go over the dune I must keep it on first gear just to reach the top. But what happened was it automatically shifts to second gear. Why doesn't the gear stays on first gear? Can anyone help?
Sponsored