Sponsored

AUX Battery

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If your battery were 70 AH, at your rate of draw it would last 4 months.
AH ratings are somewhat misleading and not a constant curve over time. Generally a AH battery rating is for 20 hour full demand pull but even on a low sleep state demand draw, it is a law of diminishing returns to maintain a full AH ratting. I think 4 months would be a extreme hypothetical, but not a realistic real world expectation.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
AH ratings are somewhat misleading and not a constant curve over time. Generally a AH battery rating is for 20 hour full demand pull but even on a low sleep state demand draw, it is a law of diminishing returns to maintain a full AH ratting. I think 4 months would be a extreme hypothetical, but not a realistic real world expectation.
Yeah, as the battery discharges, especially once it reached a certain level, it's going to drop off faster, and sitting at low voltage is problematic - especially for any length of time.
In any case, that extreme example should at least indicate that they'd hold up under that low draw for days if not weeks. And yet, you saw how fast mine dropped over a period of days, not even a week. It will be interesting to see what the state of charge is on mine, the voltage and other readings, since it has been sitting untouched in my garage for 8 days now. I'm wondering if it will even start.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
The test should be done after the usb ports shutoff, approximately 60 minutes.
I did on my 2020 Gladiator and it was 24 milliamp draw (0.024 amp) after 30 minutes of going to sleep.. That is more than acceptable and below the 75 milliamp draw that most would start to consider to be excessive.

I do not think the Gladiator has an inherent excessive parasitic draw problem. The problem is related to when one of either battery starts to go bad, it drags the other down with it and early warning signs are usually few or too late.
Were the test performed after the usb ports had shutdown? Approximately 60 minutes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The test should be done after the usb ports shutoff, approximately 60 minutes.

Were the test performed after the usb ports had shutdown? Approximately 60 minutes.
I couldn't remember if it was 30 or 60 minutes, but 2 years ago I had to use my truck to charge my phone and my hearing aids - and had to go out every hour or so through the night to hit the switch again to turn the USB ports back on. It is 60 minutes now that I think back.

I believe the IBS sleep cycle is 30 minutes, will have to look back at my training materials.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I couldn't remember if it was 30 or 60 minutes, but 2 years ago I had to use my truck to charge my phone and my hearing aids - and had to go out every hour or so through the night to hit the switch again to turn the USB ports back on. It is 60 minutes now that I think back.

I believe the IBS sleep cycle is 30 minutes, will have to look back at my training materials.
Mine 2021 is 60 minutes and it will turned on the ports again just by unlocking the doors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine 2021 is 60 minutes and it will turned on the ports again just by unlocking the doors.
So you are suggesting I could have simply locked the doors when I went in, then from the house, unlocked the doors to get it going again? Geesh, all those trips outside in the night, into the garage.... LOL

Yeah, the book does say "as long as 60 minutes" or words to that effect.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I've had my JT since June of 2019 with no electrical issues. However listening to all the talk about replacing the batteries I'm preparing myself to change them out this summer some time. I ordered the clips in case I break any removing the fender, I thought about using the OME batteries because they have a three year warranty.

I have a couple of questions. Will I need to have the computer re-programed or can I simply remove the batteries and replace? I'm lost electrically and hate the thought of needing the Dealer's help.
And for @Shaddowspapa What is the IBS? I've read other threads and seen it used.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my JT since June of 2019 with no electrical issues. However listening to all the talk about replacing the batteries I'm preparing myself to change them out this summer some time. I ordered the clips in case I break any removing the fender, I thought about using the OME batteries because they have a three year warranty.

I have a couple of questions. Will I need to have the computer re-programed or can I simply remove the batteries and replace? I'm lost electrically and hate the thought of needing the Dealer's help.
And for @Shaddowspapa What is the IBS? I've read other threads and seen it used.
IBS, irritable bowel syndrome - or, Intelligent battery sensor. I guess it's our choice.

Seriously, it's a small device that goes on the crank battery negative battery post, and the other cables connect to the IBS.
That way, anything going into or coming out of the battery is sensed, and it also tracks battery temperature, state of charge (you'll see that as SoC) and other fun stuff.

The only thing you'll need to do is reset the IBS and let it relearn - as shown below.
Resetting it is simple - remove the negative cables from the top of the IBS, remove the IBS from the negative battery post - let it sit a few minutes disconnected.

This is the one from my truck - >
Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 20220329_094914

Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 20220329_093938

When putting in new batteries, if the IBS is disconnected from the batteries and ground for a few minutes (something like 5 minutes I believe the training materials I have state), it will reset and need to relearn.

Pic below is where I took mine off the cables and the battery post. It's not necessary to remove the network connection, but I did just to get it clear out of the way ->
Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 20220329_094211_HDR

If you replace batteries, make sure the batteries are fully charged when put in place, leave the IBS disconnected to force it to reset, and put it on last.
It will require "relearning" as outlined here -

Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 1654200035033

From that point on, all charging should be done via the studs on top of the IBS, not directly to the negative battery post below it........... bypassing the IBS or connecting directly to the negative post is called "blind charging".
Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery JT-neg-bat-post-connect

Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 1654199978329

Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 1654200084824

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Thanks Bill.
I will keep this info for when I make the change. I dreaded the thought of going in from the top and was relieved to find the videos of removing the fender.

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I just went out and looked at the IBS. For it to "learn" should it be removed from the batter clamp as well? I get not having to disconnect from the network connection.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just went out and looked at the IBS. For it to "learn" should it be removed from the batter clamp as well? I get not having to disconnect from the network connection.
Yes, IBS removed from the battery negative post, and the negative cables removed from the top of the IBS.

You can leave it connected to the LIN network (the small connector) just so it's removed otherwise.
*(the extra black cable on mine, going to the left in the pic, is my winch ground)

Jeep Gladiator AUX Battery 20220329_094211_HDR

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I was going to ask about that cable but figured you were doing something with it.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Yeah, as the battery discharges, especially once it reached a certain level, it's going to drop off faster, and sitting at low voltage is problematic - especially for any length of time.
In any case, that extreme example should at least indicate that they'd hold up under that low draw for days if not weeks. And yet, you saw how fast mine dropped over a period of days, not even a week. It will be interesting to see what the state of charge is on mine, the voltage and other readings, since it has been sitting untouched in my garage for 8 days now. I'm wondering if it will even start.
Mine sat unattended for ~7 weeks, and both batteries were drained to the point that nothing came on.
It was kinda interesting that when I put the charger on it the alarm went off...

Kevin
Sponsored