JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Oh, I remember watching that video a few months back. Liked the way you mounted it and glad it is working for you.
Sponsored

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
I went for the Long Range America because I am building an overlander and anything bed mounted is a no go because that is living space.

It took the better part of two days to install because I don't have a lift. It requires a exhaust modification which they supply for an extra 150 or so. It changes the exhaust sound for the better.

I have done one long drive with it to California and it was so nice not having to pay their high prices! I did 456 miles round trip, and still indicated 192 miles of range to go when I pulled in to my garage.

Its only drawback is cost. All in with buying pizza and beer for my friend and I who helped me with it, was right at 3000. That's a lot. But, I think it's worth it to have double the range.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I agree WestwallNF104, for overlanding the price is a bit easier to take. For me right now it would be useful a couple times a year when going on trips. Now in around 6 years that will change when I hopefully can travel more along with my planned Alaska trip. So I have some time to figure this out i guess.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I went for the Long Range America because I am building an overlander and anything bed mounted is a no go because that is living space.

It took the better part of two days to install because I don't have a lift. It requires a exhaust modification which they supply for an extra 150 or so. It changes the exhaust sound for the better.

I have done one long drive with it to California and it was so nice not having to pay their high prices! I did 456 miles round trip, and still indicated 192 miles of range to go when I pulled in to my garage.

Its only drawback is cost. All in with buying pizza and beer for my friend and I who helped me with it, was right at 3000. That's a lot. But, I think it's worth it to have double the range.
That’s why we got ours, not only to extend our range when way offroad but to bypass those high gas states (or counties) when driving out west. On our trip last year it probably saved us $100 in fuel cost.

I was one of the first to get it for the Glad and it didn’t come with the exhaust modifications. I had to get it done locally which was just OK. I’d be interested to hear more about the exhaust modifications that are now included as I’m wondering if I can go back and get it done.

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
That’s why we got ours, not only to extend our range when way offroad but to bypass those high gas states (or counties) when driving out west. On our trip last year it probably saved us $100 in fuel cost.

I was one of the first to get it for the Glad and it didn’t come with the exhaust modifications. I had to get it done locally which was just OK. I’d be interested to hear more about the exhaust modifications that are now included as I’m wondering if I can go back and get it done.

The exhaust mod isn't included in the cost, you have to pay for that, and the tolerances are very tight. I may have to bash the exhaust pipe a little bit to prevent squeaking. So far it hasn't happened, but with some flex on a dirt road it may.

I will find that out when I can get off road again.

But you are correct about everything else.

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Sidekick was, all in, $300.25. It might take a while to make up $3000 saving $100 per trip... More typically for me on my trips, I’m saving ~$20-40 per trip not having to buy diesel in places like Borrego Springs or Furnace Creek where they can charge whatever they want. But obviously cost savings isn’t the only benefit.

I haven’t had any problem mounted in living space, but TBH we don’t bring that much stuff, or need/want much in the way of furniture. Also there is no proper under-bed tank for diesels at all (last I looked) so may not be an option at all for some owners

anyway, glad there are a lot of hard numbers on cost etc in this thread, so people have all the facts

Last edited:

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
Sidekick was, all in, $300.25. It might take a while to make up $3000 saving $100 per trip... More typically for me on my trips, I’m saving ~$20-40 per trip not having to buy diesel in places like Borrego Springs or Furnace Creek where they can charge whatever they want. But obviously cost savings isn’t the only benefit.

I haven’t had any problem mounted in living space, but TBH we don’t bring that much stuff, or need/want much in the way of furniture. Also there is no proper under-bed tank for diesels at all (last I looked) so may not be an option at all for some owners

anyway, glad there are a lot of hard numbers on cost etc in this thread, so people have all the facts

I think a competent fabricator can make modifications to a Long Range America tank so that it would work on a diesel.

We will eventually have an OVRLND camper on our gladiator, so fuel in the bed was never going to be an option. I certainly like the look of Jerry cans all over the place, like the LRDG, but it's nice not having to carry them!

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
It’s not just the money the weight when driving all the rest of the time when you don’t need it, is a thing……Jack
Added weight is definable worth considering. But placement of the weight also. With it being under the body on the opposite side as the factory tank it does help balance weights out. It also helps offset the added top heavy weight of a canopy and tent. But, it is still added weight.

IMO the exhaust they furnish is not worth going back to get it if yours already has been modified. I got the exhaust thinking it would be easier and since I dont have an exhaust shop near by to build one. After 2.5 days of trying to install it on the ground myself I had to take it to a local mechanics shop and it still took 2 of them with me working along side an additional 2 days. The exhaust had to be modified a LOT. Way excessive IMO for what it should be. The jig they use to line things up are not angled correctly. So the hanger is in the wrong spot, the bends are not bent enough in the right direction. All sorts of fitment issues. For someone starting from scratch, sure it's a good option. But keep in mind there will be a lot of cutting, hammering, heating, bending, more cutting and welding involved. At least it was so for me. But- all that frustration was worth the extra on board tank of gas to carry.

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
Added weight is definable worth considering. But placement of the weight also. With it being under the body on the opposite side as the factory tank it does help balance weights out. It also helps offset the added top heavy weight of a canopy and tent. But, it is still added weight.

IMO the exhaust they furnish is not worth going back to get it if yours already has been modified. I got the exhaust thinking it would be easier and since I dont have an exhaust shop near by to build one. After 2.5 days of trying to install it on the ground myself I had to take it to a local mechanics shop and it still took 2 of them with me working along side an additional 2 days. The exhaust had to be modified a LOT. Way excessive IMO for what it should be. The jig they use to line things up are not angled correctly. So the hanger is in the wrong spot, the bends are not bent enough in the right direction. All sorts of fitment issues. For someone starting from scratch, sure it's a good option. But keep in mind there will be a lot of cutting, hammering, heating, bending, more cutting and welding involved. At least it was so for me. But- all that frustration was worth the extra on board tank of gas to carry.

Agreed, if there is a working exhaust, just run with it. I didn't have the issues that you apparently did. I repositioned the hanger which was no biggie, I did have to add one bend to the pipe and bashed in one dimple so it would clear one piece, but that was all.

And you are spot on about the weight distribution. There is no handling difference that I can detect with the extra weight. So far I have had two full fills, heading for a third.

My plan is to keep the reserve tank filled at all times and just run off of my main tank, that way if there is a earthquake and no fuel being pumped, I at least have one tank full.

Dls79

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Retired
So far I have not had to use any extra fuel than what is in the tank. It is just the range, 120 to 150 miles to a tank, that is staying safe with about 1/4 tank left maybe a bit less. This is only an issue when towing my camper. Seeing how I do not tow all the time it makes it hard to justify $2000 for an auxiliary tank, all though that would be the most convenient solution. Your setup sounds pretty good as that would make it easier to use if and when needed. So what kind of siphon pump do you use? Manual or electric, brand?
Just a Harbor Freight squeeze ball to start the siphon process. Works really well and is relatively inexpensive. Make sure that you utilize the Rotopax fuel in a timely fashion or use fuel stabilizer to keep it fresh. Also, make sure to burp the Rotopax every day or sooner depending on ambient temperature variations. The Smartcap gets hot quickly in direct summer sun!
Sponsored