Sponsored

Backup camera when the tailgate is down?

Jackdforme

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT High Altitude
Ok tag me in.
I honestly want to think about this from a UX perspective. How can one camera solve for x.

You could have a camera installed ar the top lip of the tailgate that could then operate on a 90* rotating mechanism. Looks part of the body. Flips when you drop the tail.

Or you do the same with a small periscope lens.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Last edited:

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...meras-now-required-in-new-cars-in-the-us.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/572079002

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/cars-us-now-required-backup-cameras/story?id=54854404

Drama, yes especially on this subject. Notice the emphasis children in each of the articles? But hey... it’s probably fake news.

Edit: And maybe since your such an expert on the topic claiming that “not so many kids were backed over” you could explain to the parents of the 2600 kids per year who are run over that backup cameras won’t help.
I would love to carry on this conversation but I can not figure out a way to do so without it being locked down and bringing in politics to this great forum. I will gracefully bow out. If you would like to cary on a respectable debate PM me my friend.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I would love to carry on this conversation but I can not figure out a way to do so without it being locked down and bringing in politics to this great forum. I will gracefully bow out. If you would like to cary on a respectable debate PM me my friend.
not interested in DMing about politics, Thanks

Sponsored

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
oh FFS really? Where would this magical auto switching camera go? If the bed is down you’ve got wide open video to the rear IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR
Not if your hauling say ... a wAshing machine.

OP
OP
Ogre_FL

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Ok tag me in.
I honestly want to think about this from a UX perspective. How can one camera solve for x.

You could have a camera installed ar the top lip of the tailgate that could then operate on a 90* rotating mechanism. Looks part of the body. Flips when you drop the tail.

I could easily see a handle mounted camera that rotates up/back as you lift the handle and lower the tailgate. And then back down when you lift the tailgate and it latches. Heck it could even have a mid point that works when its in the middle position for plywood/lumber.

21df45dfbf83686449e42d9eb742ac5a.jpg

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Lol....reminds me when my dad backed into one of his other cars while he was in his vehicle equipped with a back up camera. His excuse was I never use the GD thing that’s what mirrors are for. I still give him crap about that one. I like to enable the back up camera on the JT while I’m in a drive thru to see what the people are doing behind me for entertainment while I’m waiting.😂

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
I like to enable the back up camera on the JT while I’m in a drive thru to see what the people are doing behind me for entertainment while I’m waiting.😂
It’s also funny to see my passengers (or others cars occupants) reacting when I’m joking and parking or getting at one inch of a pole, wall or car in front of the Jeep using the front camera! But don’t do this in a slope behind another car in a traffic jam!!!

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Rotating like the licence plate holder of the old Subaru Baja when the tailgate was down.

If you’re not concerned about getting the picture upside down, a plain or convex mirror fixed just below the camera on a frictionless hinge and bottom-weighted: it should follows the gravity and get nearly the right angle in open opsition or mid/"plywood" position. No?

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Rotating like the licence plate holder of the old Subaru Baja when the tailgate was down.

... and get nearly the right angle in open opsition or mid/"plywood" position.
^^ This ^^
if it was built into the handle, you could have one that could manually turn 90 degrees which would enable you to see when the Tailgate is down

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwoo...M5nzGGMaLSExuK_eOQBoCPbYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Could be mounted just like the oem... not in the handle.
Adjustable with a detent for each position- closed tailgate, mid, and full open.

Chuzzlewit

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator, 2000 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired Professor of Supply Chain Management
Turn your head and look with your eyes. 🤦‍♂️
My eyes are getting too old to look around corners backing🤣. Seriously, backing up to the RV hitch is so easy when using the camera, but extremely hard when the tailgate is down with my motorcycle loaded. Once you lose sight of the trailer hitch mate, it's a crap shoot getting it to line up just right. Multiple trips in and out of the cab to keep from crunching something. Kind of like that mirror application above if it comes out on the market.

Deleted member 30519

I like having it this way so when I forget to put the tailgate up I can check my camera while driving and end up seeing my license plate instead.

Chuzzlewit

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator, 2000 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired Professor of Supply Chain Management
I’ll keep my $50. What can’t you see with your tailgate down by turning your head and checking your mirrors?
The last 10 or so inches of backing into a trailer mate when hooking up a trailer when the tailgate is down. Tailgate is down because it has to be to accept the dirt bikes or regular motorcycle that jeep advertised the bed is capable of hauling.

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Always such the drama queen. How many kids do you think have not been backed over because of the federally mandated back up cameras? I myself would say that not so many kids where both backed over nor saved by the federal mandates for back up cameras.
Many years ago my 3 year old cousin Jill was tragically killed when my uncles employee backed over her with his F250 while she was riding her tricycle in her driveway.
My uncle, who operated a construction business, sent his employee to retrieve a box of nails from my uncles garage. The employee had trouble finding the nails in the garage when my aunt, who was giving Jill a bath at the time, went out to the garage to assist my uncles employee with finding the nails. While they were in the garage, Jill had hopped out of the tub, went out the front door, jumped on her tricycle, started riding around the driveway. My aunt was unaware Jill left the house and the employee had no clue when he left the garage to return to the building site that a precious little three year old girl was sitting behind his massive F250 on her little red rider tricycle.

I was three years old when this happened to my family, a traumatic tragedy that to this day is still vividly burnt into the little 3 year old part of my brain.

So, the federally mandated law that you speak so light of has nothing to do with convenience or inconvenience but rather is intended to save mother's, fathers, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles, and yes even a 3 year old cousin, from the heart ache of losing a beloved family member and as an aging 52 year old grandfather, I'm here to tell you sir that the heart ache never goes away.
Sponsored

Last edited: