Sponsored

Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why?

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I've been lurking in all the threads on bed covers, and just about the time I land on one that I like, I find a thread where someone has a nightmare experience with it. I'm sure there's going to be someone out there who's had a problem with just about every one on the market. What's your preference, roll up or flip up? Specifically, I'd love to hear if you had one type and switched to the other, and for what reasons. I don't often haul stuff that is higher than the bed rail, but there is the occasional load of mulch, etc. And I wouldn't typically have anything back there I would be so concerned about regarding security that I wouldn't lock in the cab instead. Is one easier to take off in a pinch than the other? I have the factory bedliner if that makes a difference on your response. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored

mrworldwide79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a hard rolling cover, so kind of a hybrid. I’m happy with the type but not necessarily the brand (Rugged ridge). It’s very easy to roll up and detach if needed, and it sits fairly low giving it a nice sleek look. Also looks good rolled up if needed. If I was doing it again I’d look at the Bak Revolver x4. Install was straightforward but I did get better rivnuts than the cheap ones provided.
If you’re unsure you could get a cheap soft roll up initially and then sell it if you decide you want to go a different route.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
I bought the hard flip cover for security because use it for more of an SUV than truck. Super easy and fast to remove. Very secure. It’s the rough country cover (same as the undercover)made for them.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I've had access soft rollup covers on all my trucks and love them. I love soft rollups because of the utility aspect. You only roll it as much as needed, you can still unroll it over a pile of junk in the back even if cant latch it will still usually hit the velcro on the sides and protect it from flying out. It also rolls up really small when i need to open it all the way and doesnt block the window.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
I had a trifold by Mopar that came with it. They are good covers. I am switching to the Bak hard roll up. I bought a rack system and the trifold won't open under it. The real answer is to think through the total set up you want and then backwards plan.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor has had both. After his last truck came with a tri-fold, he took it off and gave it away and went with a roll-up.
Gotta ask - do you use your truck AS a truck??

I do.

I can't imagine any other type with the stuff I use my truck for. And it works well, seals well, don't get wet inside with things close. I just don't see any disadvantage. One other advantage - when I use my truck tent, I have two screws to remove and I carry the tonneau cover off and set up the tent. 2 screws, 2 minutes to take the cover off and it's rolled up and easy to lift off.

You can't go by what others prefer unless you use your truck the same way they do. No hard cover would ever work for me nor would I ever even consider one. But - others do and others like them a lot. It's your plans for your truck, your truck's future.
This is just my preference.

(cover rolled up, 2 screws removed and sitting on the front of my trailer so I could set up the tent- look how small it rolls up if you want it to. Light, simple, took only minutes to put it back on, roll it back and be on my way.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? 20210910_191133_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? 20211025_110510_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? 20211201_154807

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? new-tires-in-drive

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? 20200211_163145

4xwheelz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
Occupation
Homeland security systems
I've been lurking in all the threads on bed covers, and just about the time I land on one that I like, I find a thread where someone has a nightmare experience with it. I'm sure there's going to be someone out there who's had a problem with just about every one on the market. What's your preference, roll up or flip up? Specifically, I'd love to hear if you had one type and switched to the other, and for what reasons. I don't often haul stuff that is higher than the bed rail, but there is the occasional load of mulch, etc. And I wouldn't typically have anything back there I would be so concerned about regarding security that I wouldn't lock in the cab instead. Is one easier to take off in a pinch than the other? I have the factory bedliner if that makes a difference on your response. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cyclopsrider

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Equinox
Occupation
Engineer
I went with the Rugged Ridge soft folding tonneau cover. 2021 Jeep Gladiator Armis Soft Folding Tonneau Cover | Rugged Ridge
It utilizes factory holes in the bed for the brackets to mount. No clamps. The tonneau cover sits right on the bed rails and has a good weather seal. Great price, $524 and matches the premium soft top. Only disadvantage, there is a latch on both sides near the tailgate that have to be independently disconnected to fold it up. Not a bid deal for me since I don't use the bed to haul much big stuff. The entire unit can be removed in about 5 minutes and only weights about 35lbs. The weight is a guess on my part, I just know it is easy to pick up and install.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I've got the Rugged Ridge hard tri fold, works great for me. Their tri-fold comes with the struts to hold the panels vertical near the cab's back window which I think the MOPAR one lacks, so if you get a tri-fold make sure it's got that as they make it very easy to get near full access to the bed while keeping the panels attached. If you do want to fully remove the panels, there's just 2 hand screws that clamp the front-most portion of the trifold to the side rails, so it comes off in under a few minutes.
I think the only other one I'd consider getting is a retractable rolling hard cover, the downside to those though is the bulky box that contains the cover near the front of the bed. Pics of each below (last pic of the retractable is on a Ford, but same cover.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? 1.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? Capture.PNG

Jeep Gladiator Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why? 3286_1_md

Sponsored

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
I've got the Bak Revolver X4. It's a rolling hard cover. I didn't want to block my back window with a trifold and I wanted something secure. I love it, great cover.

OP
OP
cdyoung9799

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I've got the Bak Revolver X4. It's a rolling hard cover. I didn't want to block my back window with a trifold and I wanted something secure. I love it, great cover.
This one of my top choices, but I kept seeing guys receiving theirs with bent frame rails, etc. But, this could be damage from delivery. I really like this one though. Thanks

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Tyger brand trifold cover is what I got. It fits, it’s cheap, and keeps stuff in the bed dry. No way I am paying some of the prices for bed covers out there. BUT I would not buy another trifold cover since I find myself taking it off a lot because I need the entire bed. I will eventually get a roll up cover.

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
This just moved to the head of the pack. Thanks!
That's cool but about twice what you will pay for a rolling hard cover and from what I can see is the rolled up cover just sits below the top of the bed instead of above it. The Bak Flip has always had the channel that allows you to a rack and RTT above it. This one would work better with anything above it though, as it rolls below the top of the bed. My thoughts anyway.

OP
OP
cdyoung9799

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Tyger brand trifold cover is what I got. It fits, it’s cheap, and keeps stuff in the bed dry. No way I am paying some of the prices for bed covers out there. BUT I would not buy another trifold cover since I find myself taking it off a lot because I need the entire bed. I will eventually get a roll up cover.
This is e exactly what I could see happening to me too. With such a short bed, I want the flexibility of taking up as little space as possible, or popping it out quickly if I need to. Thanks
Sponsored