Sponsored

Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why?

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
This one of my top choices, but I kept seeing guys receiving theirs with bent frame rails, etc. But, this could be damage from delivery. I really like this one though. Thanks
I didn't have any issues with mine. I bought mine off of eBay who accepted an offer of $850 or so as I recall. Give that a shot if you do. It was drop shipped directly from Bak.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
I use mine as a truck once…cover moves easily and removes just as easily. Mounted 37s.

9F81163C-26E6-4498-9731-119A09A745E7.jpeg

Mojave34

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
Hi I am in the same dilemma. I have purchased a 2022 Mojave and live in the mid-west so we see a far amount of snow. My main purpose would be to keep things out of the elements and not really for security. I really don’t carry things that have significant value. I was looking at the Mopar soft roll up because it looks simple and versatile. Can anyone shed their opinions on the Mopar brand, if they like it or not? The one thing that concerns me is the sides don’t have any type of securement point and just lays on the bed rails. Does this have a tendency to flap around and possibly let water in? Thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Hi I am in the same dilemma. I have purchased a 2022 Mojave and live in the mid-west so we see a far amount of snow. My main purpose would be to keep things out of the elements and not really for security. I really don’t carry things that have significant value. I was looking at the Mopar soft roll up because it looks simple and versatile. Can anyone shed their opinions on the Mopar brand, if they like it or not? The one thing that concerns me is the sides don’t have any type of securement point and just lays on the bed rails. Does this have a tendency to flap around and possibly let water in? Thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Yes, my dad's gladiator has the Mopar soft roll cover, and it definitely flops at highway speeds since there's no Velcro along the sides like most soft tonneaus. It also does not lock shut, even with the tailgate closed so someone can easily pry up the end portion to take a peek in your bed. It looks nice, but functionality is severely missing.

If you can find someone selling theirs second hand for a couple hundred it may be worth it (better than nothing), but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
This is e exactly what I could see happening to me too. With such a short bed, I want the flexibility of taking up as little space as possible, or popping it out quickly if I need to. Thanks
The trifold does come off very easily. Seriously takes less than 5 minutes. Install is about just as quick. But roll up is still the way to go IMHO.

Sponsored

Cobalt2014

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have a soft tri fold cover on my previous truck but just ordered a Tyger hard tri fold cover as I didn’t like the previous cover flapping. I think ANY soft cover will flap on the highway.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
I have the RR retractable. The box isn’t very big at the front bed wall. I like this cover a lot. The only thing I wish it has was a t-channel on top of the rails.

66FC40FB-49DD-44D1-A61F-8F9270B5A162.jpeg

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Mopar soft tri-fold installed when I bought the truck. It worked well for me. It kept things dry, and did not flap when traveling. It is a soft cover, but has a rigid frame and sits on top of the bed rails. It is fairly easy to remove. I replaced it with a RSI SmartCap, when they became available.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Rollie. Doesn't block the rear window when it's fully open and much more compatible with roof off and open. I pack my bed to the limit at times, wouldn't be able to sacrifice any room for retractable.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I have a Truxedo LoPro roll-up soft cover on my other truck, and it's served me well, so I put the same on the JT. I can't imagine a tri-fold, or a one-piece hard cover, due to their restrictions on bed access.
One huge advantage to the LoPro: it has a lifetime warranty. My first one is on a 2006 SuperDuty, and I've practically rebuilt the entire thing, and it hasn't cost a dime.

Kevin

Sponsored

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
@mrworldwide79 Does the Bak stay in place mid-bed if the truck is moving? (example: Bike in back of bed, luggage in front - want to cover luggage while truck moving)

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Had a trifold. Kept me from using the truck bed as a truck beds. Switched to a hard rolling tonneau cover.

mrworldwide79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
@mrworldwide79 Does the Bak stay in place mid-bed if the truck is moving? (example: Bike in back of bed, luggage in front - want to cover luggage while truck moving)
Not to my knowledge but I don’t have that one. Wish I’d picked it over the rugged ridge based on my rugged ridge experience.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Had a trifold. Kept me from using the truck bed as a truck beds. Switched to a hard rolling tonneau cover.
Man what kind did you have. I have the Bak Flip MX 4 Hard Tri Fold and it allows me complete and total access to my back bed. I just wish there was a way to lock it and the tailgate manually when I have the doors off.

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I went with the RR Armis soft roll up. Works great for me as I bought it more for looks and general keep eyes off stuff in the bed vs total security. Sits pretty flush with the top of the bed and rolls up nice and tight when I want to run open bed (lately this has been most of the time).
Sponsored