First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
My wife snagged a hitch mount ski carrier. The design is not great, IMHO as the skis are held sideways across the back of the truck where they will catch a lot of road grime. I'd like to mount it over the bed, with the skis held lengthwise. I have a Rollbak tonneau cover with t-slots for attaching whatever I come up with. I don't need to have clearance to roll up the bedcover with it on, but it should be 3-4" high to clear the bindings.

While the vendor/sponsors here make nice stuff, I'm a cheap bastard and don't think it's worth spending big bucks for something I'll only use a few times a year. Does anyone have a line on cheap crossbars I can mount to, or suggested designs to make my own?
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
You can but extrusions cut aluminum online with precut lengths and hardware to bolt it down. Its fair compared to paying a premium for stuff with names attached to em. Now if your really trying to pinch you can get zinc plated unistrut from HD with some hardware and make a rack out of that. Ain't the prettiest thing but it works

OP
OP

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
I've found a few threads where people were building tent racks which have some good ideas. I was thinking uni-strut too, it's the uprights/attachment points I'd need to figure out.

I found these on Amazon, which look like they might work. Price isn't too much more than home built would be once I add it all up.
https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Appr...?keywords=t+slot+rack&qid=1707346919&sr=8-102

*Edit* Found a similar set for just under $100 and dug up a couple gift cards that covered the whole amount so I pulled the trigger. Looks like I have a weekend project.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
OP
OP

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Gratuitous photo
Jeep Gladiator Bed crossbars on the cheap/homemade 9D044CD1-E201-4F25-8B89-BDE25B1380E4
Sponsored