Sponsored

Better for towing, single or double axel travel trailer?

Staniator

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Don't want to tow more than 22 feet so was wondering which would tow better
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Tandem tows better, less prone to sway, better recovery from a flat tire, BUT after years of towing tandems my current camper is a Gulfstream Vista Crusier 19ERD which is 24 feet long and a single axle, GVWR 4100 camper set up correctly with blue OX sway pro and it tows great. I looked at a lot of campers when you start getting light weight, and get below 4500 pounds tandems are a bit more rare. The second axle adds a lot of weight. I have towed ten hour days with my camper and have used it pretty much last year and have no regrets.......Jack
C7568EE6-8A41-48F4-9B70-12F7A56C9137.jpeg

OP
OP

Staniator

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Thanks Jack.
I also don't want to go over 4000 lbs

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Good plan on the 4,000 , Gladiator tows the camper great and we have been up some good hills, Weight of my camper after A/C and options added was 3100 pounds, and we try and travel with low tank level in fresh water.....Jack

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
A lightweight single-axle trailer may be able to use LT tires instead of ST tires, because in a hard turn you are not twisting the tires in place. LT tires usually have a higher max speed, fewer blowouts (never had one!), and can easily be found Made in USA.

A single-axle trailer is sometimes available in an off road package with extra clearance.

An all-terrain tire tread can be a better traction match for the tow vehicle. You don't want the trailer to skid easily compared to the tow vehicle.

On the other hand, many people don't want to fit into a small trailer.

Sponsored

w650gb500

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Fabricator
After having several campers and motor homes, look for a floor plan that best suits your needs then see what models from different manufacturers fit that need. After that, then see what their weights are. If all things being equal, I prefer a double axle and would take the couple of hundred pound weight penalty and take the extra axle.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Ya doubles are generally better, but if your in a smaller rig it will be tough to find a trailer under 5k w tandems.

nocoast_jt

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
In my experience, a single axle allows you to get in/out of tight camp spots...I guess it depends on where you like to camp. This camper will turn on a dime when backing up, which is a bit challenging but also allows you to back it into camp spots off narrow entry roads. I've found this beneficial when roughnecking and camping at the Great Sand Dunes in CO where the entry road is narrow/oneway and the camp spots are often perpendicular to the road. Not sure if that makes sense or not. I've towed my father-in-laws double axle Hi-Lo and while it's easier to back up because it doesn't turn as sharply from steering input, it's more difficult to back up in the scenarios I described above.
Jeep Gladiator Better for towing, single or double axel travel trailer? 110782E2-468D-403E-87CE-A20F344AE6E1_1_105_c

OP
OP

Staniator

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Thanks everyone for your help
Sponsored