Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
As a few of you had followed my thread about getting warranty work done and the clear lack of any customer service from Blackhorse, I think I have finally decided to call it quits on trying to pursue getting a warranty claim processed on my classic roll bar that is rusting

This thread was the last I had posted back in Jan 2023 (see link below) where they told me my issue with rust was covered under their warranty but they didn't have any in stock and would notify me when they would be able to ship one to me

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-blackhorse.66613/#post-1093427

Once I saw on their website they were shipping orders 7-10 days after an order, I decided to try and call them vs going through email (this warranty claim started in September of 2022)

After many attempts to call them with no answer / response, in Jan , Feb, and March of 2023, I finally got a email in June 2023 from a lady from Customer Service who said she'd be happy to help. I was ecstatic. She needed my home address as their policy said I would have to pay for shipping the replacement bar.

I thought to myself, well, that's kind of odd, but ok. I bought the bar on from a online truck parts dealer and it was free shipping so it can't be that bad. I responded the same day with my info and she finally responded back today (2+ months later), that shipping costs were $323.25 and I needed to call them with my credit card info. WTF OVER???

This isn't truck freight! I don't live in Dubai. It comes via UPS in a box of parts!!!!! When I go on their site to buy a rollbar, the shipping cost is $0.

@blackhorseoffroad, I really hope you re-think your warranty policy and try not to screw over your customers like this I know I will never buy or recommend your products to anybody.
Sponsored

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Hmm... actually saw someone locally selling one of these on FB the other day, and thought I saw rust in their photos, even though the seller claims 'Like brand new!'.

So, your experience is a good time to ask.. how deep in the rust? Is it a quality item, with a crap thin powdercoat, or is the rust actually going deep on this thing?

~ Casp

OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... actually saw someone locally selling one of these on FB the other day, and thought I saw rust in their photos, even though the seller claims 'Like brand new!'.

So, your experience is a good time to ask.. how deep in the rust? Is it a quality item, with a crap thin powdercoat, or is the rust actually going deep on this thing?

~ Casp
Quality of metal is good. Powder coating is thin. Surface rust basically

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Well, at least you're good on that end.

(Note, you probably already know all this, but I've been shocked how many people don't, so mentioning it) If they won't cover your warranty (sounds like they won't) I'd either find a local powder coating place that will put a nice thick coat on, or you can use textured Rustoleum.

The color and texture are similar to a powder coat. I have to do it about once a year in the fall (reminds me, I'm about due to do it again) on the mopar bumper, warn winch guard, and the ace engineering rock rails, to touch up the surface rust.

Brass/CarbonFiber brush the hell outta it, and then either spray or apply with a sponge.

Strange, though, really.. Black Horse has always been an ok manufacturer in the past.. wonder if something has changed.

~ Casp

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of the Chinese knock-off bumpers - good enough product, strong, heavy gauge, but the finish lasts maybe a year and a half or 2 at best.

(Note, you probably already know all this, but I've been shocked how many people don't, so mentioning it) If they won't cover your warranty (sounds like they won't) I'd either find a local powder coating place that will put a nice thick coat on, or you can use textured Rustoleum.

The color and texture are similar to a powder coat. I have to do it about once a year in the fall (reminds me, I'm about due to do it again) on the mopar bumper, warn winch guard, and the ace engineering rock rails, to touch up the surface rust.

Brass/CarbonFiber brush the hell outta it, and then either spray or apply with a sponge.
I also recommend a product like Extend sprayed onto the area you cleaned the rust off of - because you can't get it all unless you REALLY remove material. If it turns black, there's rust there. Then paint over it and it will last and last.
I use it on cars and car parts a lot and I've never seen the rust return if done properly. It literally converts the rust to an inert material. It's not a cover, it converts it.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T. Architect
I also recommend a product like Extend sprayed onto the area you cleaned the rust off of - because you can't get it all unless you REALLY remove material. If it turns black, there's rust there. Then paint over it and it will last and last.
Never heard of that, looks like I have something else to add to my shopping list :)

~ Casp

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I have never heard a good story about their CS so this is not a surprise personally. Sorry you have to go through this. I've been dealing with a similar situation with Insane Audio completely ignoring me regarding my unit that is faulty. Shit sucks and I despise the fact that I posted about how great they were previously.
Sponsored