Sponsored

Boards for improvised bridge?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Given there is about 10 feet of length from windshield to tailgate, a bed rack and roof rack could probably be set up to carry 10 foot boards. When overlanding or off-roading, is it practical to carry a couple 2x12x10 or 4x12x10 to make a makeshift bridge to cross? You see such apparatuses being used sometimes...in other countries.

A 2x12 weighs about 4lbs per foot. So say you'd be carrying 80lbs of wood on top. Each can hold about 180lbs per foot, so 1800lbs each at the middle at the most, even with 2 you can't support a JT going across them. But, the rig wouldn't all be in the middle at one time, probably.

So maybe 4x12x10? Those are about 9lbs per foot, so 180lbs! They'd probably hold the weight of a rig...

Just a fun thought experiment on fun ways to utilize the length and off-road abilities of the JT
Sponsored

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I have 2 aluminum sand ladders 5 ft long. I don't know if they are even made anymore, got them before Maxtrax existed. If you had four sand ladders and four 10 ft aluminum I Beams that all could be bolted together...
I wouldn't do it, but like you said it's a thought experiment.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
If its 10’ long, use a bit more skinny pedal. Momentum will get you that far. If not, winch will get you the rest of the way.

A piece of lumber gets quite slippery once it is wet or muddy. It would have to have some sort of traction.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
yes five footers and a wood chopper when need more or diferent. boards are more for holes or crags or slop. I could see using a board to get wheel over a ledge, but I'd never do a gulĺey on two boards. leave that to the youngins.
Sponsored