Brake pedal almost immovable before startup

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Lately I've noticed that if I let my Gladiator, with auto, sit a day or two without running it the brake pedal is super hard to push down before starting it. It's to the point where I'm using almost all of the strength in my right leg to exert enough pressure so the truck recognizes that I've pressed it down so that it will then crank the engine over. Once started, the brake pedal immediately goes soft, pushes almost to the floor and then acts properly.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Thoughts?
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Lately I've noticed that if I let my Gladiator, with auto, sit a day or two without running it the brake pedal is super hard to push down before starting it. It's to the point where I'm using almost all of the strength in my right leg to exert enough pressure so the truck recognizes that I've pressed it down so that it will then crank the engine over. Once started, the brake pedal immediately goes soft, pushes almost to the floor and then acts properly.

Is this concern still present, jbehrn? If so, we suggest bringing it to the attention of your dealer. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to send us a private message as well.

Kate
Jeep Cares

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Seems pretty standard to me. The brakes are vacuum boosted and without vacuum to assist, the pedal will generally be very difficult to press. If you try it right after you shut the truck off, you will get one, maybe two presses before you use all the vacuum in the reservoir and it firms up.

Jeepifer

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator Sport
My 2 cents: Steering, safety, brakes - anytime you have a concern with these you should have a dealer look at it, particularly if under warranty

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s weird because itā€™s not always present. I canā€™t come up with a correlation to why/how it occurs and itā€™s pretty random right now.

Iā€™m holding off on reporting the issue to the dealer until my first oil change.

Sponsored

that_gladiator_kid16

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sports S
Occupation
Part time docksman
Vehicle Showcase

wow i know what your talking about with the brake petal being hard i have and auto myself(sadly) but its never been that hard! that is a huge issue that i suggest you get fix ASAP! In the mean time try this when you park the car put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake then release the brake pedal and turn the car off in neutral. This will mean you will have to press on the brake pedal less and might work as a temporary brake until it gets look at.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wow i know what your talking about with the brake petal being hard i have and auto myself(sadly) but its never been that hard! that is a huge issue that i suggest you get fix ASAP! In the mean time try this when you park the car put the car in neutral and apply the parking brake then release the brake pedal and turn the car off in neutral. This will mean you will have to press on the brake pedal less and might work as a temporary brake until it gets look at.
Iā€™ll give it a shot!

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update, Iā€™ve brought it to my dealers attention to address during my first oil change. Iā€™m waiting to see if the dealer can reproduce and what (if anything) was done.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer could not reproduce the issue and suggested I keep an eye on it. The issue is manifesting itself more as it heats up here in Texas; however, itā€™s not as pronounced. The pedal is easier to push in (still feels hard though) and now only sinks to a usual level once it does so. Iā€™ve contacted Jeep cares and let them know. Hopefully Iā€™ll have a satisfactory update at some point soon.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update: I brought it back to the dealer yesterday and had them look at it again. They diagnosed it as a calibration issue with the ABS. They reset it and claim it should fix it.

Sponsored

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
OP, did you have any more problems?

I almost always use the key fob to start my Gladiator.
With that said, yesterday while attempting to start the vehicle from the driver's seat.
I couldn't push the pedal down (rock hard) to satisfy the start sequence. After several attempts it eventually started. I can't reproduce the problem now, it's fine.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, did you have any more problems?

I almost always use the key fob to start my Gladiator.
With that said, yesterday while attempting to start the vehicle from the driver's seat.
I couldn't push the pedal down (rock hard) to satisfy the start sequence. After several attempts it eventually started. I can't reproduce the problem now, it's fine.
Sorry this wonā€™t be helpful but the issue was never resolved. The dealer ā€˜fixā€™ did nothing for it and I eventually traded the Gladiator in.
Sponsored