Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That's logical but not really true. Many of us Gladiator owners like the bed but don't need it.

For me it was Gladiator vs Bronco. Simply because the Bronco is for most people a better Wrangler than the Wrangler. And the pickup body is a want for me, not a need.

I NEEDED to be able to carry a dog kennel. If the Bronco did that, it would have met my needs better than the gladiator. The gladiator has more room, but the kennel isn't heated or air conditioned Wien its in the back of a gladiator with a topper.

Funny thing is that the kennel fits in my wife's Volvo wagon. Ha.
Are you saying the Gladiator felt like it had more room in the front and back, or just cargo area, because both the wife and I commented on how we felt the Bronco had more leg room and felt like it had more over all space in the front and rear seating area, I know for sure in the rear seating area the Bronco has more space than the Gladiator. Now I didn't pay much attention to the cargo area because that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me unless I didn't have the Gladiator. You really can't beat the Gladiator for what it is, I mean Jeep and Truck together is nice combo, it's the only thing that made me want to sell my JKU. I am a person who needs a truck bed also.

I feel like the Bronco will be fun as well, and looking at some of the ones Vaungh Gittin has up at his shop and some of the stuff he's doing in a stock one on 35's looks pretty nice. They are building one up there now that's going to be and amazing build when they get it done.

Jeep Gladiator Bronco 2.7 Engine Issues IMG_20220209_084514~2

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Are you talking about rusting or oxidation? Because aluminum definitely oxidizes, that’s why it needs a special “de-ox” when it’s installed for electrical feeders.
https://nhoilundercoating.com/can-ford-aluminum-can-rust/

"In 2004 the manufacturer sent dealers a technical service bulletin (TSB) about bubbling and blistering under the paint on aluminum body panels due to “iron contamination of the aluminum panel”. The TSB goes on to say that “testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.”"

This TSB was in 2004. My s-i-l had a 2005 Expedition it happened to, and I had a 2012 Expedition it happened to.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-bubbling-paint-warranty-lawsuit.shtml

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying the Gladiator felt like it had more room in the front and back, or just cargo area, because both the wife and I commented on how we felt the Bronco had more leg room and felt like it had more over all space in the front and rear seating area, I know for sure in the rear seating area the Bronco has more space than the Gladiator. Now I didn't pay much attention to the cargo area because that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me unless I didn't have the Gladiator. You really can't beat the Gladiator for what it is, I mean Jeep and Truck together is nice combo, it's the only thing that made me want to sell my JKU. I am a person who needs a truck bed also.

I feel like the Bronco will be fun as well, and looking at some of the ones Vaungh Gittin has up at his shop and some of the stuff he's doing in a stock one on 35's looks pretty nice. They are building one up there now that's going to be and amazing build when they get it done.
I was talking purely about cargo space with a cap on the Gladiator.

The Bronco will be loads of fun. It beats the Jeep in several areas. But I couldnt' get past the interior and the cargo space wasn't even close.

We aren't big people in my family. The Gladiator has more than enough room inside for us. But I hunt and hike and we all ski. Carrying skis inside has huge benefits.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
There’s been 33. Some think it’s significant, some say it’s no big deal. That seems like a lot of engines when you’ve only sold like 15K Broncos. They’ll correct it though, they obviously know it exists since they’re replacing entire engines.
Just like the GT 350 and the Focus RS. Seems like a pattern to me.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Other than the obligatory jeep play in the steering wheel, it didn't feel that much rougher on the road.
What "obligatory jeep play"?? Mine has no play. Move the wheel, the truck responds. It's not a tight or quick ratio, but there's no play. It's not any worse than my Chevy was.
Before I swapped springs and shocks, it was an almost luxury ride (thus my wife liked taking my truck to church each week)

Because aluminum definitely oxidizes, that’s why it needs a special “de-ox” when it’s installed for electrical feeders.
I use "De-Ox" on any aluminum and copper electric cables in my shop, garage or house. You know the bottle, I'm sure.

Aluminum bumpers are generally anodized - which is actually a protective coat of oxide that prevents further oxidation.
I have aluminum bumpers in my shop from the 1980s and they still look like new. Aluminum parts aren't the problem in themselves.

I know for sure in the rear seating area the Bronco has more space than the Gladiator.
Really? The Gladiator has more rear seating leg room than the Silverado extended cab. My son and his wife have both said so. Both have been in the front and back seats of my Chevy and both have been in the Gladiator and they both commented how much better it was to sit in the back seat of the Gladiator than my Chevy Silverado.

The TSB goes on to say that “testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prior to it being painted.”"
How the hell can that even happen?? How are "iron particles" going to be in that aluminum unless the plant the aluminum came from is really crappy filthy and mixes processes. or Ford was lazy.
"Iron" is a part of steel - do they really mean iron, or steel? Testing would have shown it to be one or the other (unless the samples were too small to know) then they could trace it to the source. Maybe they didn't test for the presence of carbon in the particles and just saw the iron and left it at that.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reason electrical cables need de-ox is because aluminum oxide is an insulator. So as the aluminum gets a bit of oxidizing on it, resistance increases which creates heat, which increases the rate of oxidation in a viscous circle.

Under normal circumstances with most alloys the normal oxidation formed by bare aluminum is enough to protect the part from corrosion problems for the life of the product.

Key words - normal circumstances, normal alloys.

There are always edge cases where more is needed. Remember that anodizing is just colored controlled oxidation.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The reason electrical cables need de-ox is because aluminum oxide is an insulator. So as the aluminum gets a bit of oxidizing on it, resistance increases which creates heat, which increases the rate of oxidation in a viscous circle.

Under normal circumstances with most alloys the normal oxidation formed by bare aluminum is enough to protect the part from corrosion problems for the life of the product.

Key words - normal circumstances, normal alloys.

There are always edge cases where more is needed. Remember that anodizing is just colored controlled oxidation.
I know that - I do metal processing and plating, etc.

Please note my quote ;-)
Aluminum bumpers are generally anodized - which is actually a protective coat of oxide that prevents further oxidation.
And yes on the electric - that's something else I do (besides being a former maintenance electrician in Ankeny). The worse examples are the automotive HVAC blower motors I restore. Check out the output lead from the resistor to the fan blower - it gets hot from the load, oxidizes, the resistance causes more heat, which creates a nasty circle of events eventually ending in a non-functional blower. I clean up the resistors, plate the protective shell (on those that have them) with new zinc and clean the terminals or replace them and plate them with a tin/zinc alloy. Good conductor and lasts better than plain zinc plating on such places.

Copper also should be protected. I have many examples in my shop now of electric issues caused by the really fine layer of oxide on the copper. The printed circuits on the backs of classic car clusters are a great example. I pull them apart, shine everything up and put de-ox or similar on the traces where things like the bulb sockets make contact. I've seen gauges stop working well due to the oxide of copper - you can't look and tell, you have to take it apart and clean it.

In restoring automotive parts there's a real problem with oxidation of the aluminum castings once they are cleaned of all of the factory protective coating or of the patina of age. Any moisture and you get white spots. So after bead blasting, tumbling, and bleaching the parts and rinsing them off with hot water - they MUST be dried to the Nth degree or the next day there are white spots that look like mold on cheese. Aluminum oxide forms that fast on bare unprotected aluminum.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
How the hell can that even happen?? How are "iron particles" going to be in that aluminum unless the plant the aluminum came from is really crappy filthy and mixes processes. or Ford was lazy.
"Iron" is a part of steel - do they really mean iron, or steel? Testing would have shown it to be one or the other (unless the samples were too small to know) then they could trace it to the source. Maybe they didn't test for the presence of carbon in the particles and just saw the iron and left it at that.

Don't know, never inspected the plant. ;) One thing I read was metal dust from fabrication settled on the aluminum prior to paint. That just seems crazy.

I do know that there are lawsuits against Ford and that it is a problem they've had for a decade or more. On the Expy forums some owners have fought for years with Ford & dealers to get their vehicles fixed.

On my Expy's liftgate, on the left side of the lower grab handle there was about a silver-dollar (for you yutes, that's 1.5") sized affected area.

But as I no longer own the Ford, it's not my problem.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
What "obligatory jeep play"?? Mine has no play. Move the wheel, the truck responds. It's not a tight or quick ratio, but there's no play. It's not any worse than my Chevy was.
Before I swapped springs and shocks, it was an almost luxury ride (thus my wife liked taking my truck to church each week)

I use "De-Ox" on any aluminum and copper electric cables in my shop, garage or house. You know the bottle, I'm sure.

I have aluminum bumpers in my shop from the 1980s and they still look like new. Aluminum parts aren't the problem in themselves.

Really? The Gladiator has more rear seating leg room than the Silverado extended cab. My son and his wife have both said so. Both have been in the front and back seats of my Chevy and both have been in the Gladiator and they both commented how much better it was to sit in the back seat of the Gladiator than my Chevy Silverado.

Yes sir, from my take and my wife's sitting in the rear of the Bronco, i felt like there was more leg room, I didn't do any measurements but I definitely could tell there was more leg room there. It also felt like you ride 3 adults more comfortably in the bronco in the back seat. Just my take on it and not saying the Gladiator is lacking on space at all.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was responding to the person who commented that aluminum needed something like de-ox to be used under normal circumstances. It doesn't't. In 95% of all applications the think film of aluminum oxide that forms on raw aluminum provides a more than adequate level of protection against further corrosion.

I know you know that. Ha.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir, from my take and my wife's sitting in the rear of the Bronco, i felt like there was more leg room, I didn't do any measurements but I definitely could tell there was more leg room there. It also felt like you ride 3 adults more comfortably in the bronco in the back seat. Just my take on it and not saying the Gladiator is lacking on space at all.
Didn't take it as you thinking the JT was lacking, just was "really? More"? thinking.
I go by how it feels when sitting more than the numbers anyway. I've sat in vehicle where the numbers were good, but the feel wasn't. Maybe it was shape, positioning, whatever, but it's one reason I want to actually see and sit in cars and trucks and use the math only as a starting point. I've seen vehicles with good cargo space numerically - but fitting in what my wife wants to haul to her quilting get-togethers? Naw, the Grand Cherokee is fine even if the other had more cubic feet.
So I take your word for it no matter what the numbers are either way. If it feels like it is a good fit, then it is.

I'm still very "old school" on buying - if I don't like the outward appearance of pics of an interior, I'm not interested even if it is technologically the best, reliability the best and all that other stuff. First impressions unfortunately, are still in my head and I can't get past not liking how the Bronco looks inside and out. I could never buy a GMC truck based solely on how the front end looks in commercials. Sorry, it's the human side poking through and winning over logic, i guess.
I just don't like the looks inside or out -but that doesn't mean I think anyone who buys one made a bad choice at all.
If we all had the sames tastes in looks and style, there'd be one company making one model in one color.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't take it as you thinking the JT was lacking, just was "really? More"? thinking.
I go by how it feels when sitting more than the numbers anyway. I've sat in vehicle where the numbers were good, but the feel wasn't. Maybe it was shape, positioning, whatever, but it's one reason I want to actually see and sit in cars and trucks and use the math only as a starting point. I've seen vehicles with good cargo space numerically - but fitting in what my wife wants to haul to her quilting get-togethers? Naw, the Grand Cherokee is fine even if the other had more cubic feet.
So I take your word for it no matter what the numbers are either way. If it feels like it is a good fit, then it is.

I'm still very "old school" on buying - if I don't like the outward appearance of pics of an interior, I'm not interested even if it is technologically the best, reliability the best and all that other stuff. First impressions unfortunately, are still in my head and I can't get past not liking how the Bronco looks inside and out. I could never buy a GMC truck based solely on how the front end looks in commercials. Sorry, it's the human side poking through and winning over logic, i guess.
I just don't like the looks inside or out -but that doesn't mean I think anyone who buys one made a bad choice at all.
If we all had the sames tastes in looks and style, there'd be one company making one model in one color.
True, and I totally get it. I'm not about all the bells and whistles when it comes to buying, if I get them I get them but I'm not going turn away something if I like it just over features. My wife loves how the Bronco looks inside, she said it feels old school to her, she grew up around older cars and SUVs her whole life because her dad bought and sold mid 70's to early 80's cars. She had a Mercury Comet and 79 Trans am in high school so I kinda get her deal on it. Me personally, I like how my gladiator is on the inside but it's going to be hers and I can drive it so she never tells me what to get and I let her make her desicion on what she wants to drive. Personally I'd keep the BMW X5 50i if I was her but she ain't going to tell me not buy a Porsche 911 in 4yrs when the JT's paid off, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get it - if my wife said "I want one of those" and pointed to the Bronco - guess where we'd be going......... but no worries there LOL - she's so hooked on her Grand Cherokees I couldn't get to to change her mind on her last one no matter how hard I tried. Nope, I want a Grand Cherokee.
The only times I drive it are to gas it up and wash it anyway - as long as she's happy, I pretty much get the vehicle I want.
Sure a switch from the Camaros she used to drive...... she was all about Camaro when I met her.