Bronco is fullsize - no comparison

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I just stopped by a dealer and looked over the new bronco, much like the raptor, it's a fat pig.

It's as wide as a half ton. The wrangler/gladiator will win this war for two reasons.

1. it's truly mid-size segment and will park and fit down trails as such.
2. solid front axle.

Ford you effed up...two things you needed to get right imo, size and solid front axle. They aren't even in the same class imo, the jeep is the only competition for the jeep.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Hummmm. They're going to sell like hotcakes.

Ford pulled off a winner here.

There's room enough I'm the sandbox for another player.
It may be a winner, just not against Jeeps, or anything in the mid-size segments. Raptors are everywhere so people like full size plenty. Just don't confuse or compare bronco's to jeeps, they aren't in the same size segment.

I like that they put a manual option on the 2.3, which is what i looked at. They need to move that transmission over to the ranger...then the jeep gladiator would have some competition lol(mid-size vs mid-size)...but this bronco is just in a different size class altogether.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I just stopped by a dealer and looked over the new bronco, much like the raptor, it's a fat pig.

It's as wide as a half ton. The wrangler/gladiator will win this war for two reasons.

2. solid front axle.

Ford you effed up...two things you needed to get right imo, size and solid front axle. They aren't even in the same class imo, the jeep is the only competition for the jeep.
I think they'll sell like crazy, and will steal jeep sales for sure, especially for the off-road is just "soft-road" crowd. Still feels like the reborn FJ Cruiser to me rather than a true wrangler fighter though. Nothing wrong with that, the FJ Cruiser was so damn cool, maybe the bronco will convince toyota to bring back an FJ.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
You could say the exact opposite, that the Bronco offers what many people feel Jeeps are lacking. Additional size and better road handling with the IFS. They didn't "fall short" or mess up anything with those decisions. They made them differentiators that pick up where some Jeep people feel their rigs fall short.

These aren't negatives. Just differences. Totally valid to compare the two.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
well the ram 1500 pentastar 8-spd kept me fullsize instead of midsize back in 2014, i got better mileage than my tacoma buddies and had better comfort and better tow rating with tow haul as well, so it killed the tacoma in many areas except trail and parking/city fit in garage work....until the gladiator came along i was stuck wishing i had the blend of features between that ram pentastar and the midsize segment

the bronco will park like a fullsize, it may steal sales but they are not apples to apples comparisons, the bronco is a porky pig, just like the raptor, are they trying to market the bronco as a midsize? that would be misleading if so...it's too wide, it's half ton wide

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
You could say the exact opposite, that the Bronco offers what many people feel Jeeps are lacking. Additional size and better road handling with the IFS. They didn't "fall short" or mess up anything with those decisions. They made them differentiators that pick up where some Jeep people feel their rigs fall short.

These aren't negatives. Just differences. Totally valid to compare the two.
apples to oranges comparison only - full size vs midsize segments, similar features, but stuffing one down the trail or parking spot or in the garage....vs the other....will be two different segments altogether

ford's best chance at a apples to apples comparison to jeeps would be to put that 7-speed manual transmission into the Ranger, that would have made me look as i was all about the manual transmission and midsize, the taco doesn't compete with the gladiator, or qualify as a truck imo (lifted car now), so the ranger 2.3 with manual would make a far better comparison

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I agree it's a lot bigger than I expected. Funny comparison to the FJ, which I also felt was too wide and big to feel so small inside.

However, most people will still cross-shop and probably not buy based on that alone.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
apples to oranges comparison only - full size vs midsize segments, similar features, but stuffing one down the trail or parking spot or in the garage....vs the other....will be two different segments altogether
The Bronco is a mid-size SUV. Just plain facts. It is not a full-size vehicle, is not treated, marketed, or advertised as full-size, and will not be considered full-size. You can disagree and argue that you don't like it because it's bigger than the Wrangler, but that doesn't mean it isn't in the same class and a direct competitor. Apples to apples my friend.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
It may be a winner, just not against Jeeps, or anything in the mid-size segments. Raptors are everywhere so people like full size plenty. Just don't confuse or compare bronco's to jeeps, they aren't in the same size segment.

I like that they put a manual option on the 2.3, which is what i looked at. They need to move that transmission over to the ranger...then the jeep gladiator would have some competition lol(mid-size vs mid-size)...but this bronco is just in a different size class altogether.
Must feel good to be so confident and wrong at the same time.

Bronco was designed with the Wrangler directly in its cross hair and they hit it out of the park.

You can argue it all you want but you're wrong. Im a day one reservation holder and love the Bronco and sat in and got to go for a test ride (they didn't let me drive) and its fantastic.

Why didn't I buy it then?

I decided for me having a truck bed and better towing capacity was important and out weighed the +s that Bronco offered.

Im not saying the Bronco is better in every facet. You're going to have compromises and sacrifices when you try to improve on certain things. Theres are always going to be people who love what they love and refuse to acknowledge when something else has merit and you seem to be blindly focus on a few very small details in the scope of the much larger whole.

The Bronco is good, very good and if you cant see that then thats your prerogative and no matter what I or anyone else says you're going to stick to that and thats fine. I can respect that.

The good news for you is it will force Jeep to raise its game because without competition Jeep didn't really have to make any big changes, just sit on their laurels. Now they will be.

And this full size mid size argument is nonsense. It's based on a Ranger chassis.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
lol @Motoarch, no specific disrespect to @Jt-wrx or this discussion in general, .... but this world runs on unearned confidence.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Overall width both without mirrors the Bronco is 2.1 inches wider just googling the stats. If it was as wide as an F150 I'd agree with you because those are pretty wide. It must appear to be much wider but it really isn't, at least overall. I haven't seen a new Bronco yet, but I'll be paying attention to it now. My old K5 is a wide vehicle I know how important width is on trails. But only 2 inches wouldn't seem to be that much more noticeable.

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow

2. solid front axle.

Depends on how you define ":win". The Bronco is going to out sell and the gladiator and if early orders are any indication, they will sell faster and for more money.

From a business standpoint, I think Ford takes the W.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
To the OP's original statement. I would think 90% maybe 95% of wrangler owners don't go offroad so your 2 points, in my opinion, are moot. For the 5-10% of offroaders, probably 5% overland and the IFS isn't a deal breaker and might be able to get by with the greater width. The other 5% are the extreme off-roaders and the Bronco maybe won't work for them based on your points. Or maybe you are correct and I'm wrong, but I still think the off road market is only 10%. That being said, 90% are daily drivers, never going off road or maybe dirt road or the beach. But probably something I could have gone down in my Ford Explorer.
The competition for Jeep is a removable door & top 4x4. Bronco is that. My teeange daugther has a JLU. Why, because the top and doors come off, and it looks cool.
If I had brought home a Bronco and showed her the doors and top coming off, she would have been just as happy.
Sponsored