• Total voters

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I voted Max Tow because the Rubicon will always have 30% less payload capacity in the eyes of the law, regardless of what you do to either truck. And if you're buying a truck you should care about payload. If you don't care about payload then you should have bought a Wrangler. :like:
If it's too heavy for the bed there's always a small utility trailer you can buy and tow it :like:
Sponsored

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I voted Rubicon. I was running into the same things you were; optioned out a Sport the way I wanted and I was in Rubicon territory for pricing.

So here I am hoping to get into a Gator (maybe Hydro Blue, my JKU was blue and I loved the color) Gladiator Rubicon with an automatic and hardtop. I'd like a manual, but that 8 speed auto offers quite a bit of pep.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
If you are going to lift it right away it seems silly to pay for Rubicon suspension. If not, maybe you like the package FCA assembled. Me, I’d go Sport S all day long, lift it, maybe a rear locker and manual front disco’s, max of 35” tires on the 4.10 ratio for all-around use. With that wheelbase it’s just not going to be a rock crawler anyway.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
So, from my poking around, if you want to really build it and want options the overland is the ticket. People who built JL rubicons and I mean swapped axles and aftermarket lockers found the computer didn't like them taking out the factory lockers and swaybar. a sport s would be the way if you don't care about the 8.4 and proximity etc. But for your money, you won't come out better buying a sport over a rubicon and adding lockers and skid plates and all the other things, not to mention the transfer case, if you are not swapping axles and you are good with the factory lockers.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
So, probably a classic question on here: buy the sport s with the tow package or just buy a rubicon. A rubicon definitely has a lot of cool extra features, but a big factor is tire size. By that, I mean with 37s you’ll likely have to re-gear anyway. So, why not just buy a sport s with max tow then use the money saved to add lockers, re-gear, sway bar disconnect, lift, tires, new flares, etc? Seeing anyone’s input to get plenty of opinions. I know there is a few arguments either way. Thanks!
Why start with the most expensive, because you know there are things you will change on it also. Start with the base and build it exactly the way you want it, if most of what you want is aftermarket.

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Love the Rubi - Bought a Sport S max tow. I wanted the axles and tow rating - I dont need the 4to1 tc or the selectable lockers. I did want the Trac lock but that option combination wasn't available. I will add a locker of some type in the rear at some point. So in the end - Got what I want. Good luck happy choices.
Sponsored