Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yesterday I took my Gladiator to Kansas Rocks where I've wheeled JKs for years. I wanted to see how capable it is and understand how cognizant I need to be of the breakover angle. The Jeep exceeded my expectations. I went in thinking I was driving a sled (conjuring memories of my "Big Guys Drag Small Jeep" videos). The Gladiator Rubicon was a "brute" on the trails. Its deep gearing had an abundance of torque in 4-lo, so much that I don't regret not waiting for the eco-diesel. The long wheelbase gave confident stability on hill climbs, more than I ever felt in a JK or JL. It maintained its perch when off-camber and the tires bit into everything. It was a "point and go" experience. Meticulous tire placement and planning cut down on underbody contact with rocks but it did occasionally happen. So what's next? 35's for sure and a 2.5" lift to give me that extra bit of clearance. I'm also looking at full aluminum skids, not for bashing but for gliding. Early on a branch got lodged between my driveshaft and exhaust and was wrapped in between my transmission cooling lines. Skids will keep silly things like that from happening. I will be taking this JT on trips throughout the western US and although in its current form it can do 95% of the trails I'll be on, it's the unexpected I'll need it to conquer.

I'll document my build in this thread and discuss my reasoning behind what I choose to do.

In this video, I talk through what I learned wheeling my Gladiator and what my initial build plans are.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I finally stepped up to 35s. I sent with Falken Wildpeak M/Ts on AEV Pintler wheels. For now, I'm staying with the stock suspension. In this video, I discuss why I won't be running 37s on this Gladiator. My decision to not go bigger than 35s is motivated purely by longevity, performance, and vehicle durability.

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here's a build update. I'm making steady and calculated modifications to my Jeep. Everything I do is functional and has a purpose. I'm not "ego-building" my Jeep, and instead, I'm upgrading things to maximize the utility, reliability, and versatility of my rig. "Starting Over" refers to this being the fourth Jeep I've built for off-road use, after two JKs and a JL.

Upgrades I Discuss:
  • 35" Falken Wildpeak M/T tires
  • AEV Pintler JL/JT wheels
  • Bestop EZ-Roll tonneau cover
  • Builtright Industries Gladiator cargo management system
  • Mopar Katzkin leather seats
  • Factory auxiliary switches
  • Stock suspension

I need to decide on a winch bumper and winch for my rig. The most pressing issue I have what in the world to do with my ARB 50qt fridge. It's too tall to fit in the bed under the tonneau cover. I either need a shorter fridge or get some kind of canopy. I'm also working on brackets to mount a rooftop tent too.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Here's a build update. I'm making steady and calculated modifications to my Jeep. Everything I do is functional and has a purpose. I'm not "ego-building" my Jeep, and instead, I'm upgrading things to maximize the utility, reliability, and versatility of my rig. "Starting Over" refers to this being the fourth Jeep I've built for off-road use, after two JKs and a JL.

Upgrades I Discuss:
  • 35" Falken Wildpeak M/T tires
  • AEV Pintler JL/JT wheels
  • Bestop EZ-Roll tonneau cover
  • Builtright Industries Gladiator cargo management system
  • Mopar Katzkin leather seats
  • Factory auxiliary switches
  • Stock suspension

I need to decide on a winch bumper and winch for my rig. The most pressing issue I have what in the world to do with my ARB 50qt fridge. It's too tall to fit in the bed under the tonneau cover. I either need a shorter fridge or get some kind of canopy. I'm also working on brackets to mount a rooftop tent too.

looks good. Why no lift? An AEV, clayton 2.5 or even Mopar lift fits right with the ethos IMO.

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
looks good. Why no lift? An AEV, clayton 2.5 or even Mopar lift fits right with the ethos IMO.
Thank you. So far I haven't found a lift necessary.

My '07 JK had a 4-5" "frenken-lift" on 35s. My '13 was on 32-35" tires, 2.5" lift. Then my JL I took on the trails completely stock. So now that I'm back to 35s, and I'm used to smaller tires, it feels massive. I'll lift it either if the breakover angle becomes an issue, or if the rear sags with my gear and the tires rub.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Thank you. So far I haven't found a lift necessary.

My '07 JK had a 4-5" "frenken-lift" on 35s. My '13 was on 32-35" tires, 2.5" lift. Then my JL I took on the trails completely stock. So now that I'm back to 35s, and I'm used to smaller tires, it feels massive. I'll lift it either if the breakover angle becomes an issue, or if the rear sags with my gear and the tires rub.
i was planning on just doing 35’s on my mojave. One trail trip and im going lift and 37’s. Its easy to drag belly.

Byrnesy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Watching with interest . Thanks for sharing Beserker.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had a major shortfall in my training. My first aid knowledge was pitifully lacking. To rectify that I completed the Wilderness First Responder class by National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). It was 10 days of hands-on first aid training that included classroom lectures and 26 responder scenarios and rescues. There is a shorter 3-day version of the class that teaches wilderness first aid but omits the first responder aspect. I finished the class with WFR, CPR, and epinephrine injector certification, all good for two years. I recommend everyone get some kind of first aid training. It doesn't have to be as in-depth as what I did (NOLS offers shorter classes, for example). Take responsibility for the care of yourself and those with you and continually learn first aid.

(NOLS is not a sponsor and they did not compensate me for this video)

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still keeping it light and packing like I'm backpacking. Here's a recent trip to Colorado where we went looking for snow to wheel in. That was easy since it was December.
great job on this video. Beautiful location and cool setups!!

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
Thanks for your build thread! Good stuff. Your philosophy is similar to where I'm ending up. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread. Good luck in CO!!
Sponsored