First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
Possible new owner and newb here. Need some advice and help.

Looking at purchasing a new 2020 JT Rubicon and working with a dealer I trust. They are trading for the vehicle from another dealer. We have worked out a good deal for the vehicle and I am happy with what I am paying. My dealer just called me and said that when they went to get the JT from the other dealer, the odometer is at 800 miles. The trading dealer is saying it wasn't a demo and either take it or leave it. I am sure a manager has been driving. Just disappointed that it was undisclosed.

I am concerned with whether I should say yes or turn it down. The JT has everything I want. Just concerned about the 800 miles and it being labeled a "new" car. What concerns should I have or be looking for?

The dealer and I will go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and ensure that nothing is wrong or needs attention. I am friends with the service manager and he is going to put the JT up on the lift and look over everything.

Any thoughts or feedback?

I appreciate it!
Sponsored

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
800 miles is alot for me for a "New" vehicle. Sounds like there was definitley some joy riding done. If the price is right, I would be fine with it. I would see if your dealer can inquire why the milage is so high?

OP
OP
tmac

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
@DanOnTheCob - Thanks for your feedback. My dealer is pissed and trying to get info, but the trading dealer sucks. I was at least a little glad the driver noticed the mileage and called back to my dealer.

I have asked them to push back for an additional discount but am waiting to hear.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I’d look for a discount, definitely make sure the warranty adds that to the total mileage.

In your favor, at least the drivetrain and suspension should be settled And nearing fully broken in at this point.

OP
OP
tmac

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
@Artsifrtsi - Thank you! Dealer already confirmed warranty will start at 800 miles, assuming nothing is wrong with the vehicle after inspection.

Sponsored

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Have your dealer run the vin # and verify no prior service work or issues.

OP
OP
tmac

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
I agree with the comments above. A thorough mechanical inspection would be in order. If the dealer hesitates to offer a discount, they might offer some free accessories or something that you could use for the new vehicle.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@Under-Pressure - Great point! Didn't ask that, but will! Good catch.
Quite a few low mileage Gladiators getting turned back in because of engine problems. Be careful. Check the issues & warranty section of this forum for some great info.

OP
OP
tmac

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
@WhippetTaxi - Thank you! Additional accessories or oil changes, etc. are on my list if no additional discount is given.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tmac

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
Quite a few low mileage Gladiators getting turned back in because of engine problems. Be careful. Check the issues & warranty section of this forum for some great info.

Will definitely verify no known mechanical issues or warranty work done. My dealer seems to think it was only used by one of the managers as their daily driver but hoping they will have more info in the morning.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
what is the build date of the vehicle. Earlier models had issues with misfire errors, front inner fenders too thin and 8.4 touchscreen issues.

Bruce

OP
OP
tmac

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
what is the build date of the vehicle. Earlier models had issues with misfire errors, front inner fenders too thin and 8.4 touchscreen issues.

Bruce
Bruce - Thank you! Other than build date on sticker on door, is their anyway to tell build date from VIN or Window Sticker?

The Window Sticker has the updated prices for Premium Audio, LED Lighting etc. - so was assuming a more recent build?

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
It could have been a sale that couldn't get financing. Someone drove it for a week and the dealer couldn't get them financed and thus had to call them back into the dealer. It would still be able to be sold as new since technically it never got licensed.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Bruce - Thank you! Other than build date on sticker on door, is their anyway to tell build date from VIN or Window Sticker?

The Window Sticker has the updated prices for Premium Audio, LED Lighting etc. - so was assuming a more recent build?
It is not on the Window sticker.

Bruce
Sponsored