camper/topper/shell third brake light

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I'm not an electrical engineer, but why hasn't anyone made a simple plug-n-play wiring harness when adding a camper and wiring up the third/fourth brake light? Or is there one and I haven't found it yet?

I've seen the splitters that plug into the towing plugs, but then you have a blinking center light when turning on the blinkers. Is there one that taps into the tailgate light and functions the same way?

How are folks connecting the camper third brake light?
Sponsored

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
I used a plug and play on my Chevy and it tapped the tow plug. No blinking. Works with the brake lights normally.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I second @antwon412 - why wire up another brake light? Ours are tailgate mounted, so there is no need for a CHMSL since you aren't covering the stock one up.

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I second @antwon412 - why wire up another brake light? Ours are tailgate mounted, so there is no need for a CHMSL since you aren't covering the stock one up.
It does get covered when I have a bike rack on the hitch and a bike on it. There are also times when I might have the tailgate up but covered with a blanket, or partially up and lumber and stuff hanging over. Seems like there are a lot of times the tailgate light is covered or blocked. The camper already has the light mounted higher, might as well use it.

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
It does get covered when I have a bike rack on the hitch and a bike on it. There are also times when I might have the tailgate up but covered with a blanket, or partially up and lumber and stuff hanging over. Seems like there are a lot of times the tailgate light is covered or blocked. The camper already has the light mounted higher, might as well use it.
I see. I did topper sales and installation in college, and I doubt anyone is going to do a plug and play because of the lack of demand. I think that the only time you are required by law to use a CHMSL is when the topper itself blocks your OE third brake light from view. I see your POV with wanting to hook it up since it's already there, but I think most people are like myself (I have an A.R.E. topper on my JT) would prefer to not have a 4th brake light and just roll the dice on the road when the tailgate is down, carrying bikes, etc.

We used to use a universal "logic switch/module" when we had trucks that had dual filament bulbs that caused the CHMSL to flash. I would look into using one of those in conjunction with a plug and play 4 pole flat kit, and you'd possibly be in business without cutting factory wires. Here's one I found after a quick search online, though I didn't not check compatibility:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Pacer-Performance/PP20-702.html

Good luck!

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
I'm not an electrical engineer, but why hasn't anyone made a simple plug-n-play wiring harness when adding a camper and wiring up the third/fourth brake light? Or is there one and I haven't found it yet?

I've seen the splitters that plug into the towing plugs, but then you have a blinking center light when turning on the blinkers. Is there one that taps into the tailgate light and functions the same way?

How are folks connecting the camper third brake light?
On our OVRLND+JT We landed up stripping and wiring into our factory wiring that's under the driver side behind the rear wheel well along the frame. I felt the same, I had the top brake light and wanted to set it up, in the winter around Montana it's easy to get your rear lights covered up in snow and ice on a single drive, so more lights the better. I definitely notice the bikes on a hitch rack block all the lights on our narrow bodied trucks, but you could look into add-on lights from one of those hitch cargo carriers. You get brakes+turn signals mounted on the bike rack. I used these and they've been awesome.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Didn't your camper come with the third brake light already hooked up? Mine is at OVRLND Camper today getting installed. Hoping they wire it in. Third brake light will be essential on mine because I'll have the full barn doors.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
When I had my canopy camper, I bought the trailer plug extender and wired extra lights to the camper. They were very visible. Now that I have a contour canopy, I am looking for a smaller version light so I can do the same.

For now, I run a 1Up USA rack and they offer a light that attaches to the rack. Running light, turn signals, and brakes.

17DD82E9-EA56-42D4-B6D0-183C614DDAB9.jpeg

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't your camper come with the third brake light already hooked up? Mine is at OVRLND Camper today getting installed. Hoping they wire it in. Third brake light will be essential on mine because I'll have the full barn doors.
Because of liability stuff, they can’t actually wire it up.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Because of liability stuff, they can’t actually wire it up.
AVO wired the third brake light on my canopy camper and contour camper. What liability would a company have for not wiring it?

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AVO wired the third brake light on my canopy camper and contour camper. What liability would a company have for not wiring it?
I don't know. I think they used to, but I remember them putting something out that they weren't doing it anymore. Maybe they don't want to be responsible for burning your truck down. They said they would help you by talking you through it, but they wouldn't actually put hands on. I didn't do it then because I was thinking of replacing it with desert chase lights.
Sponsored