Cant connect to 2 different jeeps via bluetooth

learjet

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon LE
hey all, still have my LE, just picked up a wrangler 4xe for the wife. bluetooth in the LE has been perfect, but i cant add seem to connect to both jeeps on either me or my wifes iphone. to get hers to connect to the 4xe i had to delete(forget) unconnect(from the LE) then i was able to connect her phone to the 4xe.

for now my phones on the LE, hers has the 4xe, but shouldnt we be able to connect with both? from what ive read the BT name shouldnt matter, but it seems to here

outta ideas…

im sure some of you have more than one jeep, can you connect to both, obviously not at same time

thx!

lear
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can pair two phones, but can't connect to both at the same time. One is tagged as primary. If both are in the Jeep, then it connects to the primary phone and not the other.
If only the non-primary phone is there, it will connect.
Key words -
PAIRED
CONNECT/Connected
You can pair as many as you want
You can only connect to one at a time. it's a BT limitation if I recall correctly.
If you could truly connect to both at once, imagine the mess that would be!

Both my phone and my wife's phone are paired in our Jeeps.
In her Jeep, her phone is primary and connects if her phone is there, mine is ignored unless her phone isn't there, then mine will connect.
In my Jeep, my phone is primary and connects, ignoring hers. But if mine isn't there, hers will connect.
But both are paired in both vehicles.

OP
OP

learjet

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon LE
thx, i cant get either phone to pair in both jeeps. ill keep tryin and report back

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Have you looked in the paired devices list in the radio to see what's there?
(there were something like 8 paired devices in the loaner we had in November, that's besides my wife's phone being paired - people just never bothered to clear out their pairings when returning the loaner)

OP
OP

learjet

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon LE
thx! i deleted all the old phones before tryin to pair ours. ill try again tomorrow

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Also see if you can change the name. I think I had to do that in my Challenger as it wouldn't pair with the jeep. Both said uconnect when pairing.

Wildtoad

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Occupation
Retired, former mainframe computer bit twiddler
How close are you to the other Jeep or perhaps your house when trying this? I've had issues connecting to my Jeep if phone is connected to home wifi or BT device.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, what everyone else has said. I have 2 Wranglers and a Gladiator and have paired and can connect my phone, my wife’s phone and my son’s phone at will.

Once you have gone through the pairing process with each phone, you should see them in the Uconnect media sources (or whatever it’s called) list. It does prioritize them and I have to select (force) the phone I want to use. As long as I am not within BT range of more than one Jeep that is on, I only see one Uconnect in my phone’s BT list.

OP
OP

learjet

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon LE
thx all! ill try to pair when im not near home or other jeep…cant find a way to change the name fwiw

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, what everyone else has said. I have 2 Wranglers and a Gladiator and have paired and can connect my phone, my wife’s phone and my son’s phone at will.

Once you have gone through the pairing process with each phone, you should see them in the Uconnect media sources (or whatever it’s called) list. It does prioritize them and I have to select (force) the phone I want to use. As long as I am not within BT range of more than one Jeep that is on, I only see one Uconnect in my phone’s BT list.
You and Thomas have another good idea - proximity to other BT devices, including another Jeep.
I pair my phone to hearing aids, both Jeeps, my car's stereo, stuff in the house, and it can get messed up. For some reason the Jeeps shove all else out of the way and want to take over when they connect - once I leave our Jeeps, I have to reconnect my phone to my hearing aids as the Jeeps take over control and bump off other stuff.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You and Thomas have another good idea - proximity to other BT devices, including another Jeep.
I pair my phone to hearing aids, both Jeeps, my car's stereo, stuff in the house, and it can get messed up. For some reason the Jeeps shove all else out of the way and want to take over when they connect - once I leave our Jeeps, I have to reconnect my phone to my hearing aids as the Jeeps take over control and bump off other stuff.
Yeah I have literally had this happen.

As one might expect, my phone is top priority in my car and my wife's is top priority in her car. But one time we were in the other's car and my wife was listening to NPR on the radio in my car and I was listening to a playlist on my phone in her car. When we got the two vehicles close enough in proximity (I pulled up alongside her), my phone's music "jumped" to my car, where it was priority leaving me (in her car) with nothing coming through the stereo and her (in my car) no longer listening to NPR, rather listening to my phone's playlist.

I've even had this happening listening to BT ear buds in the dealership's waiting area when they turn my vehicle on in the bay, my phone jumps to the radio in the car.

@learjet Make sure you're not trying to do whatever you are tring to do sitting side by side in the driveway/garage with both vehicles on.

OP
OP

learjet

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon LE
got my wifes phone paired to both while waiting for her when shopping. doubt it was the proximity to the other jeep causing my problem as it was off. maybe was the home wifi. her phones set, ill mess w mine late but bettin itll work fine when away from the other jeep and the house

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Go wired, problem solved. ;-)

seriously though, some things work decent over Bluetooth, but CarPlay ( waze/OnX ) seem to only work when wired.