Check Fuel Cap Warning

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
While driving the above warning flashed on the screen and now a gas cap icon is illuminated on the dash. It had been 147 miles since I filled up and when I pulled over to check the cap was fine. Ideas?
Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Mine was a failed ESIM valve. Dealer replaced under warranty and all is well.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well after restarting it a few times and driving it about 20 miles the light went out. Hopefully it was a one-time thing. It it recurs I will keep your suggestion in mind

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The check fuel cap light illumination is really just a overlay for a very small EVAP leak code push. It just assumes the fuel cap is not on tight but it could still be a small leak in other areas of the EVAP system if tightening the fuel cap does not address it.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a wider google search and found a post for a Grand Cherokee stating it may take a few cycles to reset the light after correcting the problem. I am hoping that is what happened this time.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Frequent issue. Make sure you turn it to the click when you fill up and eyeball the gasket every time you fill up for tears and debris (or age cracks in a few years). If you get the light, just remove and reinstall the filler cap. The warning indicates the evap system isn't able to hold any vacuum when it's running its tests. If you drive too many times with the warning and if fails the test again, you'll get a code and check engine light.

Evap tests are incredibly specific and generally require a cold start and a longer cruise so it's not uncommon to see the warning or code a while after filling up.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took several drives today and it has not recurred. I’m hoping I had just screwed up tightening the cap
Sponsored